Progression in Bodyboarding

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Re: Progression in Bodyboarding

Post by Revolution » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Zippy da Pinhead wrote:
Deesee wrote:..... for when my wrist gets better.....
Hmmmmm ??? :oops: :oops:

No , youre embarrassing urself by being a childish pest .

Instead of being such a gutsy, blokey, hairy chested-hero by ruining well meaning threads and damaging the appeal of the this forum and the work of the people who run this site, why not go for a surf and consider what real men do to add something to the world rather than piss on it from a keyboard.

"I often wonder how people spread hate through a supposed loving ideology"- Quote from- DEESEE .
Dude just let it go...

Deesee take a look at jamie o'brien in pipe comp to see it aint as easy as people reackon...he was pretty much a kook, i was thinking riding stand up till my wrist gets better to be honest, less wrist action needed.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Zippy da Pinhead wrote:
Deesee wrote:..... for when my wrist gets better.....
Hmmmmm ??? :oops: :oops:

No , youre embarrassing urself by being a childish pest .

Instead of being such a gutsy, blokey, hairy chested-hero by ruining well meaning threads and damaging the appeal of the this forum and the work of the people who run this site, why not go for a surf and consider what real men do to add something to the world rather than piss on it from a keyboard.

"I often wonder how people spread hate through a supposed loving ideology"- Quote from- DEESEE .
Sorry, i'll be serious. But a person called Zippy Da Pinhead preaching maturity confuses me. Also, that quote re love / hate / ideology was backed up by an Irony poster (KKK member BBQ'd whilst burning a cross - did you laugh at that?)

Bodyboarding - A Sport With A Bright Future. A Social Commentary By Deesee.
When i think of progression in surfcraft riding, one thing instantly comes to my mind - bodyboarding. It's so much more versatile then a surfboard. You can lie on it as well as "drop knee" - and we all know how cool that looks. When you drive your 5 mates to the beach, all the boards will fit in the boot (Toyota Echo), no need for roof racks. It's easier to catch the train or bus to the beach as well, and because they're lighter, it's easier for 12 y.o. girls to carry them. Body boarding is such a rad family sport! Taking up a sport where your equipment is designed for you to lie down instead of stand up show's all you board riders how progressive it must be! Plus when you surfboard, how many leash options do you get? 1 - leg rope. We'll, bodyboarding will show you how it's done. Hmm, Noreast swell, low tide - conditions are perfect for a bicep leash. Take that surfers!!!

Is that better?

Revo - Do you have video footage of O'brien? Post a link. Listen, if you love doing it, that's cool, everyone's different. I spent an afternoon watching the 2004 Shark Island Challenge, and i'll admit it was f#cken awesome. The Island really put on a show and every now and then the local stand ups were rushing the bombs whilst the comp was on (the organiser didn't mind i guess??).

Body boarding has it's time, place and appeal in certain conditons. I like shortboards, but hey, who am i to comment..
If it feels good, do it.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Footage is on www.vimeo.com just search it my internet is capped so cant be fucked searching it.

Personally i couldnt care less if you or anyone on here approved of bodyboarding or not. Pretty much i said your in for a surprise if you think your gonna rip once u get on the boog. More so i was just commenting on you saying you will booger to fix your wrist, i would have thought stand up will be better (we have same injury so i assume same kind of recovery set backs) for it because when surfing you really dont need as much wrist strength as you would riding a boog (properly). Thats what i plan on doing.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:05 pm

i can go around deleting all the posts these muppets make in this forum but its not gonna stop.. lets face it, there are always gonna be dickheads in the world, workplace and every micromunity and unfortunately for us most of the ones on this forum happen to be puerile stand-ups.. unfortunately it feels like we are doing these ppl a favor.. but dont get me wrong sometime they can be funny

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

lambert wrote:i can go around deleting all the posts these muppets make in this forum but its not gonna stop.. lets face it, there are always gonna be dickheads in the world, workplace and every micromunity and unfortunately for us most of the ones on this forum happen to be puerile stand-ups.. unfortunately it feels like we are doing these ppl a favor.. but dont get me wrong sometime they can be funny
Oh I know the blowhards can be funny but on the BB threads its always at the expense of honest posters who in reality pay the bills by checking out the ads and buying stuff.
BBing draws a younger crowd, who buy a lot of stuff to keep current and up with the trends, so compared to the 'big men' who take the piss, the young crew are worth a lot more to the site financially.
The BB crew are turned away (and hence post and buy from other sites) by the fools who drop in on every BB thread and selfishly build themselves up by attacking or taking down people who arent here for the pleasure of ' funny ' old men chained to keyboards.
I wouldnt delete the posts from these internet bullies/ cowards, I'd fire a few warning shots at them first with a warning and then ban them for 3 months at a time. Some of them post quite a lot so its pretty obvious they dont surf so a short ban might encourage them back into the water where they can cool their heels and find some humility at their own expense.
The dopey few wouldnt run around insulting people at the footy or dropping in on every conversation in a pub, so I dunno why they are allowed to do it here....

Let me know if you need a mod for the BB forum. :D :D
There was an accident involving an overweight balding middle aged man.
Are you OK ??

Nicko
regular

Post by Nicko » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am

You cannot imagine the joy I feel in being mentioned by such an esteemed contributor as - sorry can't remember your name - that guy above. he is always a part of such intelligent dialogue and really adds mature, insightful value to discussions in general.

I don't have a lot of time to indulge literary dalliances in cyberspace so unfortunately I'll stick to the topic. Having done some more research of my own I actually now believe that the sport has matured relatively well given its young age. Recent reviews of current media indicate that the sport is beginning to embrace its heritage and in looking at the way certain riders are being portayed there's not as much of an emphasis on having to ride psycho slabs/boost 10ft airs as I had first surmised. It would actually appear that there is a relatively good balance of reporting on waves and trips people go on that could be regarded as normal, interspersed with people doing ridiculously stupid things on massive slabs. it is only qualitative data but it seems as though my first thoughts on the topic were potentially wrong. So there ya go!

longhurst
Grommet

Post by longhurst » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

bodyboarding is going to keep booming until there are no more hotspots to be found, ie. places with many good, heavy reefs... watching these certain spots and then surfing a crowded local makes you feel envious of what these people have done thus you want to go out and explore... true appreciation of the sport can only be felt when u go your hardest out a sizey spot, and dog some thinking you've pushed a few limits, then looking back at the footage and seeing it looks pretty normal..
Youll only be young once... get out their and enjoy it!

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 am

darn

censored again. Marcus/lambert your wand is getting out of hand. just because you don't like what someone writes doesn't mean you get to delete it. If you disagree, then argue, don't just delete it like a pussy.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 am

its hard to confute when there was no point of your rant. ill be a pussy for as long as you keep putting that meaningless dribble in here. I'm all for an argument, but idiocy has no place here.

p.s. nothing personal

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 am

OK, hopefully this response will acheive the high benchmark required to post in the BB section. :roll:

The popularity of boogyboarding has been in a state of rapid decline since the early 90s. The only area where boogyboarding is progressing, is in a small number of poorly paid semi professionals. And when I say progression I mean that they are surfing new waves. In contrast there has been very little progression in the types of board ridden, the types of materials used, the shapes and length of flippers etc.

The simple fact is that boodyboarding has an expiry date. Most people use boogyboarding as a stepping stone to surfing on a real surfboard. As such most people aren't around long enough to actually progress from doing spinners between the flags in manly.

Now my comment in reply to simons was, that boodyboarding is not booming at all. It is a sad indictment on the "sport" of boogyboarding when finding new spots is considered the sole factor of a 'boom'. When the reality is that most boogyboarders would prefer to stay in the Bellambi shorey and get smashed.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:37 pm

firstly, i love you TMC!
TMC wrote: The popularity of boogyboarding has been in a state of rapid decline since the early 90s. The only area where boogyboarding is progressing is in a small number of poorly paid semi professionals. And when I say progression I mean that they are surfing new waves.
Well, the thing about bodyboarding in the 90's is that that industry was alot more closed than it is now, back then there was only around 5-10 board makers that had a 'range' of boards, now we have upwards of 28 board makers, on top of that we have dedicated clothing brands (GF, plastic ppl for example) and devoted accessory producers (pod, limited edition [well kinda- they are run and owned by nomad]). This has forced the wealth to be dispersed much more, which has definitely created a ‘cap’ in progression- unlike the surfing industry, you guys have your shit made! Tow-outs where a pretty big step for us i reckon- anyone can tow-in :lol: .
TMC wrote: In contrast there has been very little progression in the types of board ridden, the types of materials used, the shapes and length of flippers etc.
If we are talking about since the 90’s i’ve gotta disagree on that one- the dropping of arcel, widespread implementation of denser closed cell cores. On-top of the use of mesh’s stringers and substrates. Not really ‘bbing’ progression but the refining of petroleum based products from suppliers like Pactiv and DuPont. Flippers haven’t changed I’ll give you that much, but why change what works. Recently though the new EFC core that nomad have brought out this season is a pretty big step forward, its allowing the average rider the option of defined flex profiling w/o the custom price tag. small refinement have been plentiful- its just you don't even know about them unless you shred/work in the industry.
TMC wrote:The simple fact is that boodyboarding has an expiry date. Most people use boogyboarding as a stepping stone to surfing on a real surfboard. As such most people aren't around long enough to actually progress from doing spinners between the flags in manly.
You’re right and for this reason bodyboarding will never die, as long as the popularity of surfing keeps growing. I surfed for 4 years before I started bbbing :P

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 am

Research department working on it flat out :roll:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

otway1949 wrote:Research department working on it flat out :roll:
BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. I love you Lambi Pambi

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:13 pm

that was off the top of my head :oops:

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Sat May 09, 2009 6:29 am

I saw Laird doing his foil thing and since then no one has continued on to see if it can be adapted to standard size surf.
But other sports have adopted hydrofoils and used them successfully like kayaks,waterskiing, sailing, sailboarding, kitesurfing...

I thought if we already find enough power to surf just by skimming on the surface of a wave then there must be more energy within the wave.

So I figured out how to put foils onto a bodyboard and Ive tried different shapes to see what handles best.

After trying them I dont know why someone hasnt already brought out a range of standup boards.
Are you OK ??

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat May 09, 2009 11:43 am

watch Tension 10.

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah I saw it in Riptide mag a few years ago.

The ideas been around for ages.....

but no surfboards or any adaption for regular surfers of any religion. Its like they found a new way of riding and then forgot that they did.
Are you OK ??

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm

smnmntl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holy crap, that's got to be the ... most retarded thing I've seen since the Special Olympics
... mark my words
Now theres the mark of a real man, someone who labels people with disabilities as retarded.

Youre quite the little creep.
Are you OK ??