New core developments - marketing bs or real advances?

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

chris_010
Local

New core developments - marketing bs or real advances?

Post by chris_010 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:19 am

Seems to be a lot more development away from the norm with regards to core technologies.

Manta's composite core technology sounds interesting, where the top half of the board is PE for flex and the bottom half PP for strength/drive. Does it really work as good as it sounds?

Then you have nomad's 'engineered flex core' being marketed as the best of everything; flex, lightweight, memory and all one piece. Not to mention the ability to manufacture new previously un attainable stringer configurations at the same time as the core is being manufactured. Stated for release in their 08/09 range...anyone had a go at one?

Then there's alistair taylors own x-cell core, 100% memory, lightweight, stronger than PP.

etc
etc
I'm sure the list goes on.

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm

can comment on the ATD and the 4play composite core. Best way to look at it in my humble opinion is not so much as advancement in performence, but as advancement in options. we started out with one size fits all 43 inch dow boards, customs meant size options. Now where getting core options. Ones not better than the other, just horses for courses.

Ok the ATD x-cell cores ive had are stiffer, more buoyant, and thus give you more pop and speed in small to average size waves, and they seem to project a little more than other cores. so perfect for small to mid size waves.

The 4play compo Ive ridden was really flexy right under the elbows where the core join is, so you'd be lovin it in sucky, stepy waves, but the extra flex can be a drawback in average conditions.

thats all i have to say about that.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:06 pm

anyone thought of using a helium blown core?
would it be lighter? seriously, i thought of this back at uni but never thought of asking the materials engineers if it would work

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 pm

besides the cost which has increased around 120% in the last 6 years

the other problem is due to the joule-thomson effect? memory fail right here, caused by a throttling process means that at room temperate only helium and hydrogen get hotter upon expansion so laminating would be an absolute bitch let alone bubbling and delams

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:54 pm

why do you need such advancement in technology for your boogie boards when all you cants do is bus drive whitewash

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 pm

^
^

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:30 pm

The Dan wrote:....we started out with one size fits all 43 inch dow boards...
and i'm still riding a 43" dow board.

lid shaper
Grommet

Post by lid shaper » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:09 pm

bonus beats.... too funny!!! :lol:

these forums are a good crack sometimes.

but i must admit, the technology of materials has gotten alot better. and so has the marketing mumbo jumbo.