Body-boarding 101

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

monkeyman
regular

Body-boarding 101

Post by monkeyman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Gents,

Perhaps you could explain what it is that you enjoy about body-boarding compared to stand-up board riding?

I know that sounds like an essay question but it has bugged me for years, I really didn't enjoy boogie boards when I was a kid (I had a morey in 1983!)...

I have no issue with any type of surfing but have been trying to tell a pommie mate to stick to his knitting and become a better body boarder - cause he's better at that after 5 years than riding his mini mal but he feels that real surfing involves standing up...

Whaddaya reckon...

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Before the thread goes to hell, ill say why i do.

Its the perspective. I love going head first down a wave in full contact. I love the advantages it has when riding steep waves. I love getting air. Its just a different view from stand up and when i did go for a couple of stand up surfs i felt disconnected from the wave (prob different when you are good at stand up). I like both and even Kneeboarding as there are some sick Kneelo's out the Point.

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Yeah same as Coops but recently broadened my horizons to the mal (starters) and now on a fish or short board...
Really only bodyboard when the waves permit. Ie. whaley wedge, LA, etc etc..
I dont want to be a narrow minded bodyboarder or stand up either way. Id rather have fun on my waves on the craft that suits those conditions..
Iv even ventured onto skimboards (super fun), would like to take on those stand up paddlers too... surf club goat boats are fun too :oops:

In reference to Coops reply, i feel sucky waves such as island and DY point to a lesser extent, LA etc etc are more for my bodyboarding as i boogs those types of waves better. The more punchy hollow waves. Whereas on a long grinding point break i feel a bodyboard has no chance at beating a surfboard on these types of waves. As im sure many would agree.

Hope that made sense.. :lol:

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Its fun. I enjoy it in all waves, i like deep barrels, i like airs, i like hacks, i like good times. I agree with coops on feeling connected and also the perspective.

but if its small and clean etc ill steal my mates mini mal, that can also be fun.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks gents - and I mean it cause that could have gone to hell fast!

So you are closer to the water and get a better perspective, can surf heavy waves and pull airs.

Well, I'll pass this link onto my mate and get him to keep on bodyboarding... any hints on style, he's a bit boggy and low on his board and doesn't really keep it clean down the line...

20PSI

Post by 20PSI » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Before the thread goes to hell, ill say why i do.

Its the perspective. I love going head first down a wave in full contact. I love the advantages it has when riding steep waves. I love getting air. Its just a different view from stand up and when i did go for a couple of stand up surfs i felt disconnected from the wave (prob different when you are good at stand up). I like both and even Kneeboarding as there are some sick Kneelo's out the Point.
Hahahaha i've been laughing for several minutes... what a disgrace

miiichael
regular

Post by miiichael » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm

20PSI wrote: Hahahaha i've been laughing for several minutes... what a disgrace
Whats such a disgrace?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 pm

20PSI wrote:

Because you're so tough, right?

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 am

as others have said - connected to the wave.
and better for crowded, crap waves in the city.
Last edited by bonusbeats on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20PSI

Post by 20PSI » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
20PSI wrote:

Mate I would take a long hard look at yourself on the social ladder of bodyboarding - your a bodyboarder who lives for DY, what more needs to be said, you and your DY kr3w, are porbaly absolute jokers, who entail no propserity for the future of Australia's preservation and distribution of income and wealth, ultimately widening the gap between between the rich and the poor, which is great because i'm in the rich.

Now, before you start to gather rocks and get ready to boobie trap your shit house, just remember questioning somebody over a forum gets people into a lot of engaged trouble, luckily for you sir, i'm not that person.

The day people like yourself wake up, will be the day this country can move forward, unfortunately it won't happen under a labor government, we all may as well pack up leave, which I will do.
Cya

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:38 pm

que?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 pm

20PSI wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
20PSI wrote:

Its the perspective. I love going head first down a wave in full contact. I
Mate I would take a long hard look at yourself on the social ladder of bodyboarding - your a bodyboarder who lives for DY, what more needs to be said, you and your DY kr3w, are porbaly absolute jokers, who entail no propserity for the future of Australia's preservation and distribution of income and wealth, ultimately widening the gap between between the rich and the poor, which is great because i'm in the rich.

Now, before you start to gather rocks and get ready to boobie trap your shit house, just remember questioning somebody over a forum gets people into a lot of engaged trouble, luckily for you sir, i'm not that person.

The day people like yourself wake up, will be the day this country can move forward, unfortunately it won't happen under a labor government, we all may as well pack up leave, which I will do.
Cya
Great (gubbah and I presume Saffie), back on the boat eh!!!

Mr T say: "I just luurve tem reverse historical re-enactments"

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:18 am

A great big gaping, smelly gutted ewok just expelled some trapped air a few posts ago.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:59 pm

ignoring 20psi of inflated manlove cum sucking dildo driving when his mates gettin in his wetty for a minute

coops....do u find u get a better sense speed :?

often ....when i catch a wave in and i'm laying down i just feel i'm going so much faster than when i'm standing up :?

p.s and hey....psi....suck two dicks...your got the mouth for it :!:

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:07 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: often ....when i catch a wave in and i'm laying down i just feel i'm going so much faster than when i'm standing up :?
thats pretty much bodyboarding :lol: :lol:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:35 pm

jee you can just see this thread going places eh

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Fong, its just because you are lying down. Same as when you ride a go kart and feel 60kph is really fast.

psi, your flaming rant is only embarrasing to you. You make no sense. Id be offended, but you failed in your trolling.

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:59 pm

on a beach break i would get more barrels then all stand ups put together in that time. i say suck sh.it to them