an email to USA website from the bra boys movie promoter

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

we_like_to_boogie

an email to USA website from the bra boys movie promoter

Post by we_like_to_boogie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:36 pm

This is an email sent to NYBODYBOARDING.COM (Bob Baldwin) from the public relations firm promoting "BRA BOYS" the film in NY.....

"Hey!

I wanted to introduce myself and reach out to you regarding the New York Screenings of the documentary Bra Boys that begin this Friday, April 11th.

The documentary is about Maroubra, Australia's notorious surf gang, the Bra Boys, and details their professional big wave surfing, hard partying, and rough justice. The film is narrated by Russell Crowe and is told from the perspective of their much maligned and tattooed surf community.

There is a link to the trailer below and attached is a postcard with the theater locations. We'd love it if you would write a post on your site about the local screenings and get the word out about this amazing award winning film that's screening in your community.

Best,
Emily

About The Film
Bra Boys” is a film about the cultural evolution of the inner-Sydney beachside suburb of Maroubra and the social struggle of its youth – the tattooed and much maligned surf community known as the Bra Boys. The story is narrated by Australian actor Russell Crowe and is told through the eyes of members of the Bra Boys.

It is the first full-length film project being undertaken by, and officially sanctioned by, the Bra Boys. It is their story. It shows their success in professional big wave surfing, it explores their international reputation for hard partying and rough justice, it touches on their running battle with authorities and it shows their absolute reliance on one another to fit into a society in which they are displaced and, at times, disinterested. It shows how the evolution of Maroubra, coupled with the historical stigma associated with Australia’s rebellious surf community, has contributed to their social displacement.

Central to the story is the true-life struggle of the Abberton brothers – Sunny, Koby, Jai and Dakota … one charged with murdering a Sydney standover man, another pursuing a professional surf career but charged as an accessory in his brother’s legal fight, another trying to hold the family together and a young brother whose inheritance is his siblings’ notoriety.

“Bra Boys” uses archival footage shot and blends it with current surf vision and interviews to create a story that is compassionate and confronting. It is a story of contrast involving against-the-odds success and predictable failures and, ultimately, a story exploring the legacy and hopes of the next generation of Bra Boys members."

And this is Bob's reply

"Hi,

Thanks very much for reaching out to us!

While we are a bodyboarding website, we are also surfers and friends of surfers and fully support and love the sport and would generally be fully supportive of such a request.

Unfortunately, we are not at all fans of the "surf gang" known as the Bra Boys, and quite frankly are disgusted at their lack of respect towards our beloved sport of bodyboarding. Specifically, their actions at a spot they now call OURS are a complete disgrace to the sport of waveriding. At this spot they now claim to be their own (hence the name "Ours"), they threaten and carry out violence against the same bodyboarders who first pioneered the wave and don't allow them or other outsiders to even attempt surfing it. Just recently, they attacked one of the sport's top pros Ryan Hardy when he attempted surfing there, and one day they will likely kill someone. As you noted, one of the individuals in the "gang" was accused of murder at one point. Why and how this is part of the film's selling point is beyond comprehension and those endorsing such actions should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm sorry but we simply cannot and will not endorse this film. It's disgusting that their conduct is being glamorized in this way, and we are against everything it stands for.

Kind Regards,

Bob Baldwin
NYBB

we_like_to_boogie

Post by we_like_to_boogie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:44 pm

ps i got this from the http://www.805bbr.com forum

check it out

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:08 pm

I 100% agree with Bob.

It was Rawlins not Hardy involved in that altercation that happened last year

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Here we go! :)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:23 am

I want to reach out to you...

classic :lol:

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:31 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vs
Grommet

Post by vs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 am

Ringmaster wrote:Yeah........that self promoting email really pissed me off, too :twisted:

because

Wussel Crowe is a F##KING KIWI.....NOT an Aussie as claimed yet again :!:

When are these deadshits gunna learn :twisted:
hahaha, well spotted.

well said Bob.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 am

robzig wrote:I agree.......that film is the biggest piece of crap I have ever watched. I want my time back please.

Bra Boys are gay.
Meh, disagree. I hate localism but still found it entertaining. The footage of Cyclops was very impressive - still not sure it should be classified as a wave after watching that - really just a long period surge over a rock awash at chart datum level :shock:

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I want to reach out to you Emily...

Emily has really fat ankles. :oops:

You're genetic blueprint is ugly. :shock:

8)

Realbooger
regular

Post by Realbooger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:51 am

:D :D Thanks smnmntl... another good contribution.
"What ever you can do I can do better."

mazza

Post by mazza » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:46 am

dont know if anyone heard this, but on the radio this morning was listening to mmm. they were talking about how an online website based in the US did a review of the bra boys film and made some comments about australia.

the lady giving the review obviously didnt take too much time to actualy watch the movie - having no idea where to begin to even pronounce the suburb of maroubraaaaa.. lol (have to hear it)

so then they played some of her comments, which were along the lines of:
"they are thugs and killers.."
"just 2nd generation convicts.."

i was having a chuckle wondering where it was going.... then out came "they are the scum of the earth".

i couldnt stop laughing... what an ignorant b*tch!!!

one of the host's on mmm then gave her a call and pretended to be Alexander Downer and ripped into her. thought it was pretty good!

CRACKERS
regular

Post by CRACKERS » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:20 pm

smnmntl wrote:Typical lidder whining... boo hoo, the Bra Boys don't respect us... they punched Ryan Hardy... we surfed Solander first and they took it off us... waaahhh, mummy...

Let me get this straight: boogers were charging Solander until the Bra Tards came & took over, right?

Well, then, here's an idea: instead of blubbering about it and trying to lobby support for a fcuking UN Special Resolution, how about you get yourselves a big crew together and go & kick their arses back again?

Seriously, there's about 17 billion of you in the eastern suburbs alone, with the tiniest bit of organisation you could overwhelm them by sheer force of numbers. Even the dweeby emo boogers with little girl arms could play a role, as archers or something. So stop whinging, you're just embarrassing yourselves. Go and sort out your own problems. If Solander is "Yours", then for fcuk's sake just TAKE IT BACK. What are you waiting for?

Archers? hahahah . we tried that and although they can fire its never straight, something to do with fringes in the eyes and the like.

captain6230
Grommet

Post by captain6230 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:20 pm

hahaha even tho im a bodyboarder i still laughed at the archers bit haha :D

bringbackmacca
regular

Post by bringbackmacca » Fri May 02, 2008 7:16 pm

smnmntl wrote:Typical lidder whining... boo hoo, the Bra Boys don't respect us... they punched Ryan Hardy... we surfed Solander first and they took it off us... waaahhh, mummy...

Let me get this straight: boogers were charging Solander until the Bra Tards came & took over, right?

Well, then, here's an idea: instead of blubbering about it and trying to lobby support for a fcuking UN Special Resolution, how about you get yourselves a big crew together and go & kick their arses back again?

Seriously, there's about 17 billion of you in the eastern suburbs alone, with the tiniest bit of organisation you could overwhelm them by sheer force of numbers. Even the dweeby emo boogers with little girl arms could play a role, as archers or something. So stop whinging, you're just embarrassing yourselves. Go and sort out your own problems. If Solander is "Yours", then for fcuk's sake just TAKE IT BACK. What are you waiting for?
its a pretty good idea..

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Fri May 02, 2008 8:20 pm

smnmntl wrote:. Even the dweeby emo boogers with little girl arms could play a role, as archers or something.
by far the funniest thing i have read in a long time :lol: