division surfboards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

karl

division surfboards

Post by karl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:16 pm

hey boys has any one here ridden or have any feed back on division surfboards .I belive peter daniels shapes them any opinions cheers

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 pm

some okay ones i hear, never ridden any that tickle my fancy.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 am

Peter is one of the best boardmakers in Australia, I've ridden a couple of his boards at various times and enjoyed 'em, and have seen numerous other guys do the same, including some really extraordinary yet undergroundy talents (ie Simon Bergin).

I'd reckon Pete could make anyone a really nice board especially for Australian east coast conditions.

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:00 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Glide on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Glide wrote:I dont know how this would make you feel if you are of the belief that your shaper should be at least a reasonably competent surfer.
It’s a craft Glide, perhaps dying or becoming more automated, but still a craft.

Just how good was Stradivarius on the violin, are the employees at Steinway & Sons concert pianists? Are F1 car builders racing car drivers? Do I need to go on? :wink:

I consider myself a VERY average surfer, at the moment not even that :evil: don’t mean I can’t whittle a decent stick. :D

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:30 pm

Point taken Ric.

Ive never ridden the guys boards so I cant offer an opinion on them. I also dont necessarily think that someone has to rip to shape a good board however its an idea that I have heard thrown about a bit and I think it probably has some merit.

Take for example MR, Simon and Donald Takayama to name a few.

I guess there is the other side of the coin though. I think it was in MP's bio that I read that he would only shape boards that suited his style of surfing and as such they were almost unrideable for people that didnt surf like him or move around the board in different sections like him.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Glide wrote:Not long ago a person in the surf pointed out this guy that was taking off way on the shoulder. I had seen this guy a number of times before and he is a bit of a shoulder sitting drop in merchant (been a victim of this first hand a copule of times). He was also surfing fairly average.

This person also pointed out that this guy was Peter Daniels who shapes/owns Division Surfboards.

I dont know for sure that this guy was PD but what Saltman said abilitly wise seems to back this up.

I dont know how this would make you feel if you are of the belief that your shaper should be at least a reasonably competent surfer.

To put it in context the break wasnt a dredging reef it was a pretty fat beachy.
Just to make you feel like S**T, Peter is a competent surfer who is currently recovering from a life threatening bout of stomach cancer.

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:56 pm

I was just responding to a thread retelling a story I wasnt wishing the guy dead jump off your high horse.

I feel for any person suffering from cancer and hope his recovery goes well.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:57 pm

ric_vidal wrote:I consider myself a VERY average surfer, at the moment not even that :evil: don’t mean I can’t whittle a decent stick. :D
Yes mister big note himself, who still can't shape a board without a dent in it :~ ( <- me waggling my penis in the wind at ya, well at least that what I think that as an emoticon should mean )

p.s re nick knackered's comments and lic lacky's comments in another thread about cancer and board buliders/repairers, is it that common :?:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 pm

Glide wrote:I was just responding to a thread retelling a story I wasnt wishing the guy dead jump off your high horse.

I feel for any person suffering from cancer and hope his recovery goes well.
You were disparaging somebody. Own it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 pm

munch wrote:Yes mister big note himself, who still can't shape a board without a dent in it :~ ( <- me waggling my penis in the wind at ya, well at least that what I think that as an emoticon should mean )
probably about the size of too :twisted: them dents is professional like
munch wrote:p.s re nick knackered's comments and lic lacky's comments in another thread about cancer and board buliders/repairers, is it that common :?:
’Twas the other person that got the cancer (plumber) not the glass-lady.

Hey Knicknack, did Darcy do boards ex Peter Daniel at some point?

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:52 pm

I didnt post with a malicious intent, my comments tied back to surfboard design. The topic asked for feedback and opinions and I gave them. It is after all a forum.

I havent ridden any of his boards, nor did I claim to, so I dont know how they go.

I can however with hindsight see it was wrong to post what I did. I should not have made the comments based soley on hearsay and not knowing that what I was saying was an absolute fact.

In light of above and everything that has been said I have deleted the post. I apologise where I have caused offence.

I hope your not saying that you have never taken a dig at anyone Nick?

The one difference I guess is that you "own" what you say by putting your name to it. For that if nothing else you deserve respect.

Im off to the Chiropractor now seems ive put my vertebrae out from backflipping.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:44 pm

Pete Daniell is a true craftsman, and has an indepth knowledge of what does and doesn't work, and can back that up with an explanation on why.

PD is currently recovering well from a nasty battle with Bowel Cancer, and at 54 years old, he can't be expected to rip as well as he did when riding his Kneelos in his younger years - FFS, and I give the guy credit for making the stand-up transition later in life when most other blokes are giving it away.

PD's surfshop - Division at Mona Vale, is a credit to the time, money and effort the Daniell's have put in over the years, surviving in a market where the "Big 3" have taken over the retail sector, do yourself a favour and support a hardworking local.

I've ridden some of PD's boards over the years, and they work well for me, sure we've all had boards that don't seem quite right, but maybe it could be due to what you've ordered compared to your ability. As far as pricing is concerned, you get good value for the money spent, and more importantly you'd be buying Australian Made.

I wouldn't hesitate in ordering my next board from him.

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm

54 Years old?

Now im really embarassed and ashamed. There is no way the guy that was pointed out to me was that old.

I usually try and get all the facts before offering opinions, I dont know what happened here.

It makes it worse that I went on with all this tripe on the internet where it reaches so many people as opposed to a yarn with a mate. It also makes it worse that I did it at such a hard time in the guys life.

After all the decent things that have been said about the guy and how he fought to build his business over many years and as pennance I intend to check him out when im after a new board. In between then I fully intend on getting all my wax, leggies etc from there.

I sincerely apologise to Peter Daniels and Division Surfboards for my ignorance, stupidity and ill informed opinions.

LARRYLOOSE

Post by LARRYLOOSE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:29 pm

i had one for about a year to learn on
about three years ago it was from
the shop straight of the rack and
it snapped in about a year just by
getting nailed in a shorey

LARRY....

Gasherbrum4
Grommet

Post by Gasherbrum4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm a good mate of Pete's so probably a bit biased.....

I've had Pete shape me several boards & can only say positive things about them all. At the moment I have a 6'7, 6'9, 6'11 & 7'4 which I'm really happy with, they all complement each other & I can jump from one to the other without waiting half a surf to get sorted. Took them all away with me for a 6 month stint in the South Pacific last year & was stoked in how they went.

At last count he said he has past the 10,000th board milestone so he's either sold a lot of lemons or he's doing something right & just as an aside, Pete has put in an appearance for 30+ years at LA so he's seen & ridden the odd hollow wave :wink:

So Karl if you are interested in his boards go to the factory & have a chat with him, he would be happy to help.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:26 am

Glide wrote:54 Years old?

Now im really embarassed and ashamed. There is no way the guy that was pointed out to me was that old.

I usually try and get all the facts before offering opinions, I dont know what happened here.

It makes it worse that I went on with all this tripe on the internet where it reaches so many people as opposed to a yarn with a mate. It also makes it worse that I did it at such a hard time in the guys life.

After all the decent things that have been said about the guy and how he fought to build his business over many years and as pennance I intend to check him out when im after a new board. In between then I fully intend on getting all my wax, leggies etc from there.

I sincerely apologise to Peter Daniels and Division Surfboards for my ignorance, stupidity and ill informed opinions.
You done good glide.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 am

munchy I'm not sure if Stuart Darcy shaped with Pete or not -- think it might be the Sth African Peter Daniels you mean.