don't tell me to get a mini-mal

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: treatment

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:56 pm

donfugo wrote:you can identify a beginner on a shortboard immediately, lying on the board like dead fish, nose pointing to the heavens, i was like that too when i started :twisted:
:D Yeah - true - the splayed legs are a bit of a giveaway aren't they. I guess I was sort of thinking beyond that stage - once they've learnt basic paddling and duckdiving and can trim along a wave ok. But I guess up until that point something very stable (wide, thick, low rocker) is the go (either as a minimal or a big shortboard).

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:12 pm

i havea thick 6'2, which i m still learning on, but i also have a mini mal and this other shit board with no nose... i use it to practice my cricket bowling on,(the mini and the shit board were $2.50 each), but i might hang on to the mini mal, allthough it has no fins... maybe ill get someone day

Snoopstah
regular

Post by Snoopstah » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:07 pm

My mate is 5'3" and just bought an 8'6" McTavish Girls Carver to learn on. She is 61kg so granted possibly a bit stronger than you BUT is learning so fast on that thing I wish I had one when I started out !!! It is substantially lighter and thinner than a mini mal and designed with a girls physique in mind (including carrying as well as paddling). They are pricey but worth EVERY cent !

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:07 pm

Get a mini mal!!! Haha hah!

Just jocking i learnt on a 510 19 2/34 board go to dripping wet in manly and see what they have in the second hand racks and look for an older short board there thicker.

Claydoh

Post by Claydoh » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:08 am

Go a fish... u learn better on em cause they built fo 1-4 foot waves.... go 6' 0 19.75 2.3/8

BigMog
regular

Post by BigMog » Mon May 10, 2004 10:14 pm

i as a bit shorter than you when i started. I leanrt on a 5'8 old sam egan with a rounded nose. it was hell thick and wide. it was the bets board, i prgressed so quickly. then i went straight to a mates 5'6x17x2 with a snapped nose and didnt have any of the stability problems. I bought a second hnad (but early new) 5'5x16.5x2 MR and it rips! if you want to be a shortboard rider, start ona smaller but wide, thick board.
One Mile Point wrote:my reading time is limited and my brain too
Tom Bb wrote:us bodyboarders, we have no rights!