What was your first board you bought/learnt on???

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

matty_02
Grommet

What was your first board you bought/learnt on???

Post by matty_02 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:06 am

For a little while i had a big foam Mal, but soon after bought a 6'6 19 1/2 board which i'm currently still learning on.

I'm starting to think that maybe i should have started with something in the 7' range, but then again i'm getting up on this board pretty confidently...

On the weekend attempted to do my first turn, that lasted 0.2 of a second lol

so what did you blokes learn on?

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 am

6'10" McCoy nugget :)

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 am

i learnt on a 6.5 element 2nd hand board....prob would have helped if it was a bit thicker but i eventually learnt on it and upgraded.

all the best mate!

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 am

first real short board was a 6'4" Simon Anderson swallow tail, different shape, narrow nose with a wide middle... I loved it (I was 24) I bought it for $160 at a shop in Manly and god was it beat to hell, yellow as can be also, but I'll never forget the first time I got solid face on that board, a short board, I was beaming for days and days, it helped it was a perfect shoulder high day. (I started with a mal, 8ft, to a 7'2 local motion, nice board, but after a few months got the short board).

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 am

Some beat up old single fin in the late 70s I think, but my first proper board in the early to mid 80s was a beautiful 5'5" green Lee Riley single fin with a yellow deck which I found out later was previously owned by Rob Bain.

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:36 am

5ft single fin foamy. My first real board was a 5ft something Spot pigment twin

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:59 am

[img][img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n245 ... eMidge.jpg[/img]

This ones probably in Merkins collection now.

First fibreglass board was a ghastly red, blue & white 6'0" Emerald that I bought from the kid over the back fence and sold to the kid across the road.

Give my left nut to still have it.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm

2nd Reef wrote:First fibreglass board was a ghastly red, blue & white 6'0" Emerald that I bought from the kid over the back fence and sold to the kid across the road.

Give my left nut to still have it.
I think I have it :shock: send left nut and I'll send board :lol:

For shortboards mine would be foamy then a board a mate gave me cause he was sick of surfing with lids, think it was like a 6ft x 20 x 3 and probably very similar to what 2nd's had :?
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

swift
regular

Post by swift » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:44 pm

I had a foamy for my first board, followed by a couple of Hannimax's.
My first Fibreglass board was a 5'2' Cristal Curl pintail single fin.
I sold to a bloke at school for $80.
I too would give the left nut to still have it!!

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 pm

the first board i bought to learn on, which happens to still be the board im learning on is 6'6" Michael Anthony.
i did recently buy a mal to practise on too though and its a 9'2" Stuart McFarlane

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:10 pm

A 1970's Terry Fitzgerald single fin.

I still have the board to this day and it is an absolute joy to ride :D

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:57 pm

thats Elizabeth beach up Blueys way with the nudey beach in the background. Northern corner sometimes gets waves but that's it.

First board single fin Goblin board shaped by my dad back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.Yellow single fin that i later converted to a twinny. Never went the same after the conversion.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:12 pm

^^^Where I learnt to surf KK.

Used to pump every single day!

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Ive spent a colossal amount of time up there and over the years and havent really got that beach on >usually just a small close out.
surfed little wedging lefts in the southern corner of that nudey beach and my all time favorite is when they open the sandbar at smithies. Paddled from there all the way to searocks once and even got one of little bays on the way happening with a little wedgey right hander.
A mate of mine bought up there ages ago and Ive spent a great deal of time up there.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Yeah, it's an awesome stretch of coast. My old man and his mates were the first to surf Boomerang and Blueys (they think). There used to be a dirt road that ran from the Lakes Way to Lethbridge Rd, which is the road at the N end of Elizabeth. They used to machete through to Boomerang and Blueys and fish, surf and live on the beach for weeks on end. This would have been the mid to late 50's.

All it needs is one good reef break though. Still, the bar's pretty serious when it's on.

Oldies used to own a fair bit of land around the Palms but sold all for a joint at One Mile. Thinking about selling now they've seen Al Gore's movie!

tb

Post by tb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:35 pm

My brother had a huge Wade (I think) single fin which I learnt to stand on after my boogie board was stolen from my parents garage. Thank god for criminals.

After a couple of cracks I then went to Curlie and bought a 5'10 Sea Dart swallow tail twinnie with red fins! Great board and sold it with a significant amount of regret to a friend of a mate when I bought my brothers Energy thruster! The Sea Dart shop is now that vegie food place - Amelias or whatever.

Those were the days and thankfully no one knows I used to ride a booger except the odd time I crack a wave with the kids.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 pm

First board (I'm not counting the green bodyboard I had that was so bendy you could fold it in half) was a 5'10" Bennett twinnie... used to be interesting, as a learner trying to stand up in a big NE swell at the pass when it sucked dry :shock:

Sumisu

Post by Sumisu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 am

A 6'4" Precision Equipment (from Margaret River) swallowtail thruster, entry channel, 20 inches wide. A pretty solid board.

I bought it from a kid at school for $50 in 1985, used it for a couple of years (it accumulated a few dings and stuff) and gave it to a mate who was into wakeboarding near Dunsborough. Sadly, it was cut in half by the tow rope one summer. I think the boat was OK.

Watched the video Storm Riders recently and have a lot of respect for how those guys rode on the boards they had.