The Worst World Champ

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 pm

agro, you should get a realsurf poster with all our sigs. now there's memorabilia hahahaha

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:23 pm

I could Clif OR I could just poo in my hand and throw it on the wall :D
A man goes to the zoo.
When he gets there, there was only a dog.
It was a shitzu.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:14 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
chrisb wrote:Although 3 of MR's 4 world titles were thoroughly deserved it is widely believed that he didn't deserve his last one - that should have gone to Cheyne Horan - the greatest never to win a SWT.
Widely believed by who, exactly?
Nick, I based my comment on a poll that occurred on RS a couple of years ago - it may actually have been before you started posting. The topic was along the lines of:-

"who was the best surfer never to win a world title?".

Overwhelmingly, Cheyne Horan's name came up.

I agree that total life experience, achievements, happiness etc matter more than a WT. Although it still would have been nice to see Cheyne Horan collect one.

For the record, I still think that MR is the best male World Champion that Australia has had with a WT record that has yet to be equalled by any other male Aussie.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:30 pm

chrisb wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
chrisb wrote:Although 3 of MR's 4 world titles were thoroughly deserved it is widely believed that he didn't deserve his last one - that should have gone to Cheyne Horan - the greatest never to win a SWT.
Widely believed by who, exactly?
Nick, I based my comment on a poll that occurred on RS a couple of years ago - it may actually have been before you started posting. The topic was along the lines of:-

"who was the best surfer never to win a world title?".

Overwhelmingly, Cheyne Horan's name came up.

I agree that total life experience, achievements, happiness etc matter more than a WT. Although it still would have been nice to see Cheyne Horan collect one.

For the record, I still think that MR is the best male World Champion that Australia has had with a WT record that has yet to be equalled by any other male Aussie.
Well I'd have voted Cheyne in that poll too ... but not on the basis that MR didn't "deserve" one of his.

fong

Post by fong » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Agro wrote:Off topic for a second.......but speaking off world champs........

Anyone know how I could get my hands on a nice Occy poster (which I'll try to get signed)? Im trying to setup a memorablia room with a few signed sporting posters.

if u where gonna have memorablia room than u off to a good start :!:

u certainly only want goofys on u wall :lol:

seagulls league club has a classic occy dahlberg hangin on the wall :arrow: next time i'm vaccumm the place....if we can agree on a price....it's yours :wink:

on topic :arrow: i'll suggest given slaters totall dominence the sport as a world champ he hasn't put all that much back into it :idea:

i mean his reaped the rewards but wats has he done for the tour :?:

m.r was the classic embassor :!:

rabbit was really good too :wink:

i give tom carroll did try and promote the tour....but it all fell apart late one nite on the doug mulray show 8)

barton...he tried too

but if u compare how layne has promoted the womans tour compared too wat little slaters done......his a very poor chump :evil:

p.s please send all hate mail via pm :lol:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm

i agree with fong. Kelly's bald

Colonel Fiction
regular

Tom Carroll on Mulray

Post by Colonel Fiction » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:24 pm

fong wrote:i give tom carroll did try and promote the tour....but it all fell apart late one nite on the doug mulray show
Fong, what happened to Tom Carroll on the Doug Mulray show?

Puff Diddy

Post by Puff Diddy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:44 pm

He pooed in his hand and threw it against the wall.

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:01 pm

:shock:

Colonel Fiction
regular

Post by Colonel Fiction » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Puff Diddy wrote:He pooed in his hand and threw it against the wall.
Are you shitting me?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Midget ...................... :arrow:

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Johnno wrote:Midget ...................... :arrow:
hmm he did everything that was classic that era...may not have had the agresive attack that the youngins had- but he satisfied 64's world standards.

I think if Nat had not have won the 66', we would have heard alot less about Midget and his 64' world title.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Thought they were Mal guys :?
Hey does Midget ride @ Freshie sometimes, I know some of those Young folk do :oops:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Too much has been made of Midget's and Nat's "feud" btw.

History shows Australian surfing only really took off in the 70s, with Fitzy ripping Sunset and shaping with Brewer etc, MP dominating the home front, Bugs and Ian Cairns charging Hawaii, Sydney crew blowing up with Simon, Col Smith, Tony Hardwick, Ron Ford etc, and the junior ideal born through Cheyne, TC, Banksy, Critta, Steve Wilson et al. And finally MR knitting everything together with his world title run.

This was where Australia really came of age as the driver of world surfing performance. Topped by Simon's Thruster. Nothing before or since in Aussie surfing has done as much.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:25 pm

I guess you can't have a bunch of pro surfers without a pro tour.
I always thought Nats career started the ball rolling. I think its amazing he continued to place in contests for as long as he did given the changes it was going through. Who would have thought he could get the best barrel of the contest at the Bower against the much younger crew he was competing against in the Coke?

Longy I reckon we would have heard a lot more of Midgets win if Nat hadn't been around.

As far as influence goes what about young Wayne Lynch?

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:22 am

Beanpole wrote:
Longy I reckon we would have heard a lot more of Midgets win if Nat hadn't been around.

As far as influence goes what about young Wayne Lynch?
Oh for sure, no doubt we would have.

Wayne Lynch was operating on more of an underground level through his influential time. From stories, it seems as though he gained more reco' for what he HAD done, not what he was doing at the time.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed May 02, 2007 8:14 am

Hmm, worst world champ, when I win one I'll let you know :lol: I think I'll find him in my bathroom mirror.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Longygrom wrote:
Wayne Lynch was operating on more of an underground level through his influential time. From stories, it seems as though he gained more reco' for what he HAD done, not what he was doing at the time.
Definitely, funny that he still continued to enter comps through his anti contest period as did Nat. His record as a junior speaks for itself. I think MP was very similar to Wayne Lynch talent wise but Lynch was more original. MP copied him as much as Nat really. I remember reading Tommy Peterson saying if you wanted to see MPs style just put a mirror up to a picture of Wayne Lynch.