Surfing NewZealand

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

penguinator
Grommet

Surfing NewZealand

Post by penguinator » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 am

Hi guys just wanted some info on surfing in New Zealand. Can anyone tell me what the surf quality is like on the north island, on the west coast, near Taranaki? I have heard good things about this area on the net, but wanted to know from anyone who has surfed around that area.

Also, how far would the closest snowfield be? I enjoy the odd snowboarding session aswell.

Cheers!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am

Merry Prankster
Grommet

Post by Merry Prankster » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:13 pm

The locals don't call the place Taradise for nothing.... Lots of reefs and the mountain is right there - just don't expect a chairlift its nutcrackers all the way.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Work mate came back a month or so ago from west side of north island tip with a bloody smug smile on his face. Was taken by a local to a sand bottom point break. He could see the break from a few kays away as they wound their way along the side of a mountain by car to it. He started raving to the local, who said: "Bru, settle, that's just the end section." The end section alone, mate claims, was about 200m of sweet point perfection. He said they only got it about chest high but was a blast with rides of 300m plus.
Planning to get there myself next Oz/Kiwi autumn.
ANyway to answer question work mate raved about the area in general. Fishing's bloody awesome too so if you are doing the campervan thing which is so popular there it can save heaps on dinner each night.
Have fun!!

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:52 am

My missus is an audiologist; there are always positions open for her in NZ.

Our plan is to get affairs in order here at home(work, kids, property), and in four years go over for a year or ten....... :wink:

We're a little concerned though over the fact that there are always positions open, almost desperately so :? and that the job descriptions require a knowlege of "The Treaty of Waitangi."

As we understand it, the Maoris gave sovereigny to the crown in exchange for protection, in effect becoming wards of the state.
Dunno if this is a factor in an inability to keep audiologists :?

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jse ... sbid=lc01a

I particularly like this quote from a link re. the wars: " As early as 1841 one Māori asked if the whole British tribe was moving to New Zealand."

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Very interesting read Offshore.

My family has interests in NZ and will spend time in the beautiful country if the opportunity presents itself.

Would be good to see Bob cochrane's (re: Dog tax war) approach applied today throughout. Does that Pub still exist? I'd like to have a beer or two there next time I'm in the Land of Long White Cloud.

I'm not too cluded up on the surf there, but the skiing is sensational.

penguinator
Grommet

Post by penguinator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Ohh sounds good. Yes I am going over there for 3 months for a training course, and am at a crossroads in my life (I recently finished year 12), so I am wondering if I should make the move to New Zealand for good.

I dont mind anywhere in NZ, just that Taranaki was the one mentioned to me. Im looking for a nice fairly rural area within walking distance from the surf, and within a couple of hours drive from reasonable snow :D

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Lets just invade New Zealand!

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:29 pm

Bear wrote:Lets just invade New Zealand!
arn't you a lidder?

ether
regular

Post by ether » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Chamberess wrote:
Bear wrote:Lets just invade New Zealand!
arn't you a lidder?
don't lidders make good invaders? :D

elmo
regular

Post by elmo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:15 pm

i just got back from snowboarding new zealend i was pissing myself when i saw the waves :twisted:

maybe ill bring my board and wettie next time...

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

penguinator wrote:I dont mind anywhere in NZ, just that Taranaki was the one mentioned to me. Im looking for a nice fairly rural area within walking distance from the surf, and within a couple of hours drive from reasonable snow :D
Taranaki area is INSANE for surf-it's basically an island bolted onto the W side of the N Island of NZ-formed by a massive volvanic eruption-hence it's pretty much circular-what this means is for any given wind there's pretty much always somewhere either offshore or sideshore-and it's exposed to HEAPS of swell (and weather-which can be a negative)-there's waves all over (mostly volcanic reef and some boulders)-and it's a relatively easy drive to Raglan and Shipwrecks or Ahipara (NW tip of N island mentioned above).

There's snow on Mt Taranaki (although not great facilities) and the area is rural and the locals are generally friendly. Quite a lovely place.
penguinator wrote:am at a crossroads in my life (I recently finished year 12), so I am wondering if I should make the move to New Zealand for good.
Mate, as you get a little older, you'll find out that there is very little that's 'for good'-death, taxes and ..........

Enjoy the adventure.

fong

Post by fong » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:35 pm

offshore1 wrote:My missus is an audiologist; there are always positions open for her in NZ.

Our plan is to get affairs in order here at home(work, kids, property), and in four years go over for a year or ten....... :wink:

We're a little concerned though over the fact that there are always positions open, almost desperately so :? and that the job descriptions require a knowlege of "The Treaty of Waitangi."

As we understand it, the Maoris gave sovereigny to the crown in exchange for protection, in effect becoming wards of the state.
Dunno if this is a factor in an inability to keep audiologists :?

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jse ... sbid=lc01a

I particularly like this quote from a link re. the wars: " As early as 1841 one Māori asked if the whole British tribe was moving to New Zealand."
i think we covered this :wink: n.z has sick waves....a stable if not suspect eccomy....a unreliable electricity supply :shock: and a very good rugby team 8)

most kiwis cross the ditch 'cause it warmer over here....not cause there country stinks :wink:

if u like the wild west....with a good dose of cilvilsation :arrow: u can't go past n.z :wink:

p.s see "once was warrors" b4 u make a decision :P

mad max booger

Post by mad max booger » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:40 pm

guess wat guys im kiwi :D and fukin oath so many different aray of waves from filthy barrels to massive fu.ck of walls so yeh pretty much everything on a freggin island cold but :shock: now i live in western aus down in marges so still very epics surf :lol:

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:09 am

Yeah I'm a Kiwi too and I'd say hit it up. Life's good in NZ. The pace of life's a lot slower and the people a lot friendlier than Sydney especially. Everywhere has waves and Tara's is mega consistant. Expect a bit of ribbing about the Wallabies, but hey, it's all fun and games.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:27 am

smackthatlip wrote:Expect a bit of ribbing about the Wallabies, but hey, it's all fun and games.
Now how many world cups do youse guys have :?: ... ah thats right 1
How many do the wallabies have :?: ... ah thats right 2 ;) :lol:

p.s how come you guys can pile drive the captain of the opposistion and break his collar bone and no one sees it, even the video ref after the game doesn't manage to site it :? and when we do it our guy (note: not guys ) gets 11 weeks :?:
p.p.s good to see the wallabies give a bit of niggle back, just wish elsom would stop letting the all blacks win games with stupid penalties :evil:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

fong

Post by fong » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 pm

i refuse to talk about rugby :x

after all it's a girls game and i'm scared the all black captain may belt me with a hand bag :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:01 pm

You got me there on the World Cup thing Munch. Us Kiwi's have mysterious memory lapses with those kinds of things :) But you have to admit the last few seasons have'nt been the best for the Wallabies. The last couple of games definately could have gone either way and yeah, it's good to see you guys bring back a bit of niggle. Bring back the Biff as old Reggy would say. I enjoy watching big footyheads belting each other! Tana Umaga dumped Brian O'Driscoll on his head because he tried to sell Tana his missus's handbag and we all know how that sorry saga turned out don't we. Yes you heard it here first folks. The Handbag Incident started on the field, not in some nightspot in the early hours. G'day Fong; Tana Umaga is'nt captain of the AB's anymore. He passed the handbag on to Richie Mc Caw who refuses to wear it cos it's not his style. :wink: