Sliding Out On Turns

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Sliding Out On Turns

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 02, 2006 5:25 pm

Lately i have been having Trouble with my backhand turns, coz i have been sliding out too much...even on the little ones i have been sliding? This can help on spins off the turns (turn which develops into a spin), but even on little turns, ive been sliding out.....do i just need to learn how to control my turn power???

I shortboard by the way

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 02, 2006 6:16 pm

Come on....At least ONE of you hotshots could reply

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 pm

sliding out bottom turning?? hitting the lip???
put some more weight on your back foot?, look where you want to go, bent those knees stingbeen!!
PRACTICE

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue May 02, 2006 6:33 pm

I second that, if you are coming off the bottom you want to be directing a bit o' weight on the back foot to bury the inside edge...

fong

Post by fong » Tue May 02, 2006 6:38 pm

rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails :lol:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 pm

nah, its not that, its like tooo much power or something...
on hitting the lip btw

eshya

Post by eshya » Tue May 02, 2006 7:34 pm

What sort of fins are you using?
Dont use G3000 fins if u are over 80kg

bc
charger

Post by bc » Tue May 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Watch some footage of yourself
-you should see the problem straight away.

Just gotta find yourself a girl whos willing to stand on the beach with a handicam for 2 hours

fong

Post by fong » Tue May 02, 2006 7:51 pm

bc wrote:
Just gotta find yourself a girl whos willing to stand on the beach with a handicam for 2 hours
than ask her to marry u.......repeatedly :lol: :oops:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue May 02, 2006 8:11 pm

fong wrote:
bc wrote:
than ask her to marry u.......repeatedly :lol: :oops:
ha h ah a...im only 14 but...
i think its moreto do with pushing too hard

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 02, 2006 8:42 pm

g_u_m_b_y wrote:nah, its not that, its like tooo much power or something...
on hitting the lip btw
Young gumby it's not too much power. How do you imagine Pancho Sullivan, 32 year old Hawaiian weighing 90 kilos, manages these turns without spinning out.

You're only a micro grommet. There's a long way to go here. You're gonna have to work on weight distribution through the turn. Yes this surfing caper is F**kin HARDER than they told ya.

Weight distribution in surfing turns is a kissing cousin to weighting snowboard turns. In both, the best turns begin with weight in one area, finish with the weight smoothly transferred to another area.

Most backhand turns are best initiated from the mid-rail, then transferred to the back end of the rail. A bit like cutting butter with a knife. Imagine sinking the middle of the knife into the butter, then shifting the pressure to the part of the blade that's closer to the handle.

You're starting the turn fine, but failing to shift back through the turn. Thus later in the turn, your fins are lifting out and it all turns to s**t.

Try this: begin the turn, then as it happens, roll back onto the back foot heel. The turn shortens as it progresses, yet at the finish your weight is back and you're ready then to begin the logical followup: a frontside toe-weighted turn.

This is easier accomplished by a heavier weighted human, which is why most backside masters are bigger guys (ie AI, Jamie O'Brien).

Have a think about this in terms of the butter knife analogy. How can you set a rail, then shift your weight along the rail?

Watch vids of Pancho, Parko, Kelly (duh) and others for visual hints on this one.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue May 02, 2006 9:15 pm

'Kissing cousins' sounds sweet! Sure wish I'd had one: my cousins couple of boys just beat the shit out of each other every Christmas, and their older sister played footy all year round. Cutting-butter stuff's nice, too. Makes me want to go out right now and bury a rail.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
g_u_m_b_y wrote:nah, its not that, its like tooo much power or something...
on hitting the lip btw
Young gumby it's not too much power. How do you imagine Pancho Sullivan, 32 year old Hawaiian weighing 90 kilos, manages these turns without spinning out.

You're only a micro grommet. There's a long way to go here. You're gonna have to work on weight distribution through the turn. Yes this surfing caper is F**kin HARDER than they told ya.

Weight distribution in surfing turns is a kissing cousin to weighting snowboard turns. In both, the best turns begin with weight in one area, finish with the weight smoothly transferred to another area.

Most backhand turns are best initiated from the mid-rail, then transferred to the back end of the rail. A bit like cutting butter with a knife. Imagine sinking the middle of the knife into the butter, then shifting the pressure to the part of the blade that's closer to the handle.

You're starting the turn fine, but failing to shift back through the turn. Thus later in the turn, your fins are lifting out and it all turns to s**t.

Try this: begin the turn, then as it happens, roll back onto the back foot heel. The turn shortens as it progresses, yet at the finish your weight is back and you're ready then to begin the logical followup: a frontside toe-weighted turn.

This is easier accomplished by a heavier weighted human, which is why most backside masters are bigger guys (ie AI, Jamie O'Brien).

Have a think about this in terms of the butter knife analogy. How can you set a rail, then shift your weight along the rail?

Watch vids of Pancho, Parko, Kelly (duh) and others for visual hints on this one.
Thanks Nick, that was heplful.....dvds, here i come :D

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am

is your cousin hot Al? haha

does she like butter? 8)

Pools were fun yesterday by the way.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed May 03, 2006 3:09 pm

For a second-rower... she has a kind heart. Haven't seen her since her footy-playing days ended, so don't know whether the weight transfer was smooth or not. But let's leave her out of this, and you try to keep Nick's butter-knife analogy in mind through your turns off the pools down there.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed May 03, 2006 4:04 pm

Sliding out on turns - dont do it!!
It is giving to weakness, turning to the dark side!
Only gutsliders would think that sliding out on turns is good.
remember, real surfing is based on full rail turns in critical part of the wave!!

fong

Post by fong » Wed May 03, 2006 4:17 pm

rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,tits :lol: ,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 03, 2006 4:28 pm

fong wrote:rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,tits :lol: ,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails,rails :wink:
wouldn’t want to pop a tit out :shock: hang on, yes we would