Technique Tips

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

SharkBoy
Grommet

Technique Tips

Post by SharkBoy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:30 am

I always did well when someone offered me tips on how to surf better so I thought I'd start a thread about some of them. Please feel free to add;

-learn airs during onshore days, it's easier to get higher and keep the board under you. watch ry craike or taj
-on bottom turns and cutbacks square your shoulders open to the turns and always bring your back arm around with you. watch taylor knox
-on snaps you can square your shoulders opposite to get more power behind the back foot (a little tricker backside) watch pancho sullivan
-on backside floaters square your shoulders down the line to keep projection and use them to later unwind (watch luke egan!)
-read the wave and place your manoevres appropriately, floaters are lame way out on the shoulder and every manoevre looks ten times better when placed deeper. Good surfing happens in the pocket.

peace

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:37 am

When you really need to get speed to get past a section, wind your arm madly around in big cricles, rather like a windmill, boom, instant acceleration.

Good to share some wisdom now and again!!! :D

morrisey
Grommet

Post by morrisey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:05 pm

smnmntl killin it again! :lol:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 pm

You realise you're gonna get hammered on this thread??
Never confuse ambition with ability

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:43 pm

When its crowded an you are going for a wave with a million groms in the way just scream and yell your head off as you paddle. ARRRRRRRRR. You will soon scare all the groms out of the way.

Ive seen it work a treat for Nick Carroll out at Newport Peak.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:14 pm

when you paddle for a wave and miss it, swear loudly and punch the water agressively a few times. Then scowl under your breath for at least the next few minutes.
That way everybody in the lineup knows that you really, really wanted that wave and you didnt pull back - really!!

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:33 pm

or when stuffing up a simple cutback, scratch fingernails vigorously on wax muttering "i wish they still sold slime"

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:00 pm

when you go for your 5th maneuver on a wave. always do a cutback. just like you did the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th time.

brook4life
Grommet

Post by brook4life » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:02 pm

macca= pure genius

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:20 pm

i dont get it macca???
is that a stab at stand ups???

anyways...
best tip i ever got was look where you want to go.
actually make that... stand up 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:41 pm

Natho wrote:When its crowded an you are going for a wave with a million groms in the way just scream and yell your head off as you paddle. ARRRRRRRRR. You will soon scare all the groms out of the way.

Ive seen it work a treat for Nick Carroll out at Newport Peak.
What also works is to try to go right and left at the same time. It hurts a bit but it's bloody effective.

Another excellent technique tip: try to stand up on the board with one foot in front of the other, so either your left foot is nearer the nose, or your right foot is. If your left one is is forward, you are a "natural foot". If it's your right foot nearer the nose, you are a "goofyfoot".

If you can't do either, you may be a bodyboarder riding the wrong equipment. Try to obtain a bodyboard and a pair of swim fins, and see if that helps.

The greatest surfing trick of all is called the "hang ten" and it requires you to paddle out with a ten dollar note in the pocket of your boardshorts. When someone paddles inside you for a wave, take out the note and say "There's ten bucks in it for ya if you let me have the next wave." Get his agreement, then when the wave comes, catch it WITHOUT GIVING HIM THE MONEY, finish on the beach, and run up to the carpark, yelling happily and waving goodbye to your buddy. Then go and have a hamburger and a chocolate milk with the tenner.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:57 pm

while walking up the beach let your leggy drag behind you.

Wear a steamer in the searing heat.

Cut the nose off your board, it's just for show.

Stand bolt upright.

Look hurt and confused when other surfers become enraged at your kookishly obstructive behaviour.

Run everywhere.

bintang

Post by bintang » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:21 pm

Radical facial expressions tell other surfers that being a kook is harder than it looks.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Hey, these are good. Is anyone claiming copyright on this or can I publish without giving a cent back to you?

Nice try Shark boy but people just wouldn't go with the flow. Shame on them.

Why are people so unkind?

P.S. I've forgotten just about everything I have learnt about surfing except getting in other people's way, and I suspect you already know about that.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:33 pm

macca202 wrote:when you go for your 5th maneuver on a wave. always do a cutback. just like you did the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th time.
ha gold

tip for sml eat nails
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:27 am

oldman wrote:Hey, these are good. Is anyone claiming copyright on this or can I publish without giving a cent back to you?

Nice try Shark boy but people just wouldn't go with the flow. Shame on them.

Why are people so unkind?

P.S. I've forgotten just about everything I have learnt about surfing except getting in other people's way, and I suspect you already know about that.
Ha ha, It's all good, if people need to be tough on the internet, well, it must be some weird inner need. Anyways, this is more for the intermediates then anything, the experts can feel free to either help out or jab from the sidelines, anyways... i'll continue...

A good tip for surfing the right part of the wave is to become shortsighted, meaning stop looking down the line and look at the lip right where you are, this will keep you surfing and reacting to the wave from the pocket and youll probably pull off a few more manoevres because of it.

Position is very key to good surfing, focusing too hard on the manoevres and not enough on where you are will lead to lousy surfing. Think of each wave you are riding and the original trim position you'd be riding it from, then attack the wave.

Crouch is a good way to save speed through a turn. Slater basically stands tall between manoevers and then crouches like a tiger before and during recovery.

Dragging a hand in the water can help your turns too. Watch Tom Curren use his back hand during fronside bottom turns and bs cutbacks. Do the same on your backside bottom turns and frontside cutbacks but with your leading arm.

Hope it helps,
peace

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:49 am

leaning further up on your boards helps you get into steeper waves earlier.

if you want to boost your fins out or do aerial manoevres either bottom turn higher on the face or thrust upwards a little later than you would on a normal turn.

also on airs, a good way to get them high is not to 'overscoop' the board which usually ends up with you under your board instead of over it, but rather, suck your legs up as high as you can and let your board rise up to them, this gives you more to land with as well.

hope it helps

NCP
Grommet

Post by NCP » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm

If you are a beginner or low indermediate and are trying to get tubed, but can't seem to make a success of it, practice on closeouts. Seriously. Make sure you keep you eyes open during the closeout, and hold your line. Don't jump off, ride inside the closeout for as long as you can before falling off.
Lots of people have a kind of sub-concious fear of pulling in when they first start, and it prevents you from doing it properly. Not only will doing this eliminate your fear, it is also good because you get way more opportunities to practice - closeouts round here are as common as ar$eholes.