Have i chosen a good board? Rip Curl Hybrid

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

CaT_SPeW
charger

Have i chosen a good board? Rip Curl Hybrid

Post by CaT_SPeW » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:26 am

after trying to learn how to surf on girlfriends brothers board (6'5x18 1/2x2 3/8 ) for a few months and not really getting up to often at all, i got to try out some mini-mals while on holiday up north and i had heaps more fun on them and managed to stand up nearly every wave i caught. so anyway when i got back to vic i decided to buy a new board, but i didnt want a mini mal because i want to learn how to carve and ride a shortboard. so i ended up lay-buying a Rip Curl Hybrid (MAD Designs) last weekend i cant remember the exact dimensions, 6'6 but it seems to be a lot wider in the nose and thicker than the first board i tried to learn on. ive been told that this is an ideal begginner shortboard and should work well in all conditions. any thoughts on this board? thanks.
also im about 5'9 70kg
Last edited by CaT_SPeW on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:59 pm

As you'll see from earlier posts I'm a bit of a fan of mals and minimals for learners - helps them get some early runs on the board and experiencing the surf stoke.

But if you're already up and standing on a board this size, then I think you've answered your own question. At your weight and height it is a generously dimensioned board without being overdone, and should get you where you want to go.

It won't be as easy to catch waves with as the bigger boards, but you can use that as motivation to up your paddle strength and general fitness levels. 8)

Enjoy!

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:20 pm

i mainly struggled with the smaller board paddling into the waves but i think that has a lot to do with picking the right waves too. when using the short board i felt that all i really needed was something a little more bouyant and a bit wider so the wave could pick me up a bit more, other than that i can stand up ok(ive done a fair bit of skating & snowboarding). the next board i had in mind was a Strapper 6'10x20 1/4x 2 3/4 (i think) but i fell in love with the Hybrid and i got a pretty good package deal coz my girlfriend got a softboard as well. so i guess if i really suck on my board i can practise on hers, too bad its hot pink!!! :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:06 pm

CaT_SPeW wrote:...so i guess if i really suck on my board i can practise on hers, too bad its hot pink!!! :D
...and what’s the problem with hot pink, fur ball?! :D (they expect me to say that)

Good luck with the new stick!

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Sounds impressive enough on name alone!

It should be a good stick for ya. What's really important is how often ya get it wet vs how long it sits in the shed

Beerfan

Shortboard

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:11 pm

Hey catspew, i'm at pretty much the stage you are at, been on a minimal for a few months, just bought a cheap shortboard as a transitional board. Is that 2 and 3/4 inches thick??. Would like to know as i'll soon be making a longboard with a mate, and if all goes well, i'll be keen on making a "thicker" than average shortie. The board i got was from a cash converters, 6'5", and no measruments on it, but judging it against my mates wafer, its about 2 and 3/8 thick. I think you'll go great on it, and good luck!

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:28 pm

its 2 3/8 thick (when u type an 8 and a ) it comes out like a smiley face). i picked up my new board today and took it down to torquay, the waves were quite small but i was catching ones that i wasn't getting anywhere near with the other short board. the actual measurements of my new board are:6'6 x 19 9/16 x 2 7/16. the slightly wider nose definitley helps and i could notice the extra bouyancy straight away as it was much easier for me to paddle the board around , i dont know much about cores but i remember the dude that sold it to me said something about a lightweight core or something. overall im stoked with the new board!!! :D

moods
regular

Post by moods » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:07 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
CaT_SPeW wrote:...so i guess if i really suck on my board i can practise on hers, too bad its hot pink!!! :D
...and what’s the problem with hot pink, fur ball?! :D (they expect me to say that)

Good luck with the new stick!
At least with a pink board you wont look like the average kook out in the water with their designer names everywhere trying to look like they are a 'real surfer' :?...and no im not being serious either haha

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Hey mate,

I was in your boat about a year ago (i'm about the same size), was on a 6'10 x20 and it was just too big for me, so I think the 6'6 is the go, on a side point I switched straight to a 6'2........think it delayed my surfing, but I love it now, got the fitness up a bit (so important)
Don't be discouraged if you fall......if you stand up everytime you won't learn (someone else said it, but its pretty true)

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:35 pm

I just got my custom 6'10 x 19 x 2/8ths - awesome ride.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:55 pm

Look foorward to seeing that one on Saturday Dreamin

Can't bag pink boards here Ric only makes pink ones, but at least they float :cry:

Hawkeye post interesting, I've been back into it 3 summers and 2 winters and when it's gnarly (hate that term) my duaghters mini mal gets abused by me because it won't break

Catspew it's OK to ride a pink board if you don't wear speedos....(6'5x18 1/2x2 3/8 ) pretty small. I'm 183 x 85 ish :wink: my 6' x 20" often works better for me than my 6'8 version of your one
Never confuse ambition with ability

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:49 am

i'm gonna be at freshy on sunday shaun - over near the pipes - got a lesson with naomi @ 8 so come say hi anytime

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:55 pm

arrrrr... dreamin, you might wanna shift to that well-known protected spot a few beaches north, mate. Sunday is predicted to be huge. 10ft plus, straight on and probably closing out the whole of the bay at Freshie. Won't get a lot of value for your coaching time there. Suggest you do a quick tour before 8 and make the call to the lady to tell her where you'll be.

Shaunm, I've been back into it only a little longer than you after 10 yrs away. 10 YEARS. Can't believe I did that. :shock:

I've got 6'4' and 6'8" JC tuflites that do me in most conditions up to well overhead, and picked up a well-used but sound 7'2" Simon gun at auction the other week (67 bucks!!! :lol: ) that came in handy last weekend.

It took me awhile to adapt to the smaller 6'4" board, as it was a 2" drop from my previous poly board, but I'm there now and surfing reasonably competently - cutties, reos, and lip bashes. It has a fair bit of volume as the pro it was shaped for weighs some 90kg. I've dropped from 82kg to 78-9 since riding it. Tried some of the other 6'4"s such as the Webber afterburner tuflite and they don't float me.

I'm out 4-5 times a week all conditions, and I have a couple of floor exercise and mild weight training circuits I've worked up from some surf fitness books that have really helped generate steady improvement to my stamina and strength, and I reckon that's flowed onto my surfing.