convert

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JaxonB
regular

convert

Post by JaxonB » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey guys, decided to pack the bodyboard up today, and went and bought one of the 2nd hand sticks from powerlinez in narra after my morning session. I ended up getting a 6'3" simon anderson. It was $150

Dont know what made me do it, but it feels good, just gotta wack the tail pad on and clean it up a bit, fresh wax, and its all good.

what do you think of the board?

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:55 pm

i rekon it looks sik :P

mason_graves
regular

Post by mason_graves » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:57 pm

Now you can live vicariously through your lover Kelly Slater like all the other weekend warriors out there.

You will never get shacked again like you might have been able to on your lid (though something tells me you didn't have the skills to experience that anyway).

Surf's up Dooood.

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:28 pm

yuck.

fong

not so much convert...why not learn both????

Post by fong » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:41 pm

i like it...like it alot...$150....damn good buy :lol:

nice square tail.....looks like it will rip :!:

keep the boogie 4 a back up....but u will b rippin standup real soon :lol:

p.s as far as getting good/better tubes on a boogie....blah....deepest tubes ever ridin been on kneeboard....so blow that out u "gutback" ass :)

p.p.sss has it been snap up near the nose :?: or is that just light from the photo :?

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Jaxon, In the words of my 9y.o. after his first wave standing up on his minimal softboard: "Dad, you were right! Standing up is sooooooo much better than lying down!" Now he pesters me continually - "Dad, are we going surfing today?" 8)

Board looks great, and even if the nose has been bent and repaired, at $150 you bought well.

My only concern is that for a first surfboard, are you sure what you got is enough to float you? Building up paddle fitness in your arms, and enough back and hip strength to do "the flick" to your feet fast are normally a challenge for ex-boogers, and some time with a mini-mal is usually the go to get you started while you build conditioning.

If you're anything over 175cm and 60-65kg you may find that one a bit hard to get moving on unless you're very fit and strong.

But hopefully I'm full of hot air and the guy in the shop sized you up properly for fitness, body weight and conditioning. The only way to find out is to get out and go for it!

One final word of advice - sell the booger and flippers now! The Dark Side should not be underestimated! :lol: :lol: [/b]

reggie

Post by reggie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:34 pm

mason_graves wrote:Now you can live vicariously through your lover Kelly Slater like all the other weekend warriors out there.

You will never get shacked again like you might have been able to on your lid (though something tells me you didn't have the skills to experience that anyway).

Surf's up Dooood.
bit harsh on the kid

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:23 am

mason_graves wrote:Now you can live vicariously through your lover Kelly Slater like all the other weekend warriors out there.

Surf's up Dooood.
yeh ok then, mate the reason i put away to lid is because i felt i got to stage where on a bodyboard, waves were kind of getting boring because i could do all the moves, and was just like the same every wave, not trying to claim props or anything here dude, just saying that i needed that step up from boarding.

Fong, no it hasnt been snapped or anything, must be angle of photo or
something, board is in really good nick, nothing wrong with it, except the usual dents where you stand.

Hawkeye, fitness isnt an issue here, i can say that i would be a pretty fit person due to my job being physically demanding, and ive had experience on a stick before, im not good but practise makes perfect. And im really keen to get out there and give it all ive got.

Reggie, the kid is 19.... :D

thanks for the comments guys

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:34 am

that the reason why i converted to being a bodyboarder.

i got sick of the repetiveness

get up, bottom turn, cutback.

yay

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:47 am

Props to you dude. While i still prefer the bodyboard, there are days where a shortboard is just so much more appropriate. People that slag off either craft are just going to be surfing half as much as you now ;).

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:36 am

Nice board and nice shape but it looks like its been snapped at some stage. Dont worry too much . hook in.

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:07 am

chris_010 wrote:Props to you dude. While i still prefer the bodyboard, there are days where a shortboard is just so much more appropriate. People that slag off either craft are just going to be surfing half as much as you now ;).
too true, everyday stuff in syd is not really suited to lidding... which I do. Recently been standing up to surf a bit more mush at the local. BUT when it turns on big time I will be out there on my lid
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

JaxonB
regular

Post by JaxonB » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks for the replys again. Like i have said, the board has NOT been snapped before, it must be a crap photo.

And gut sliders, dont worry i havent thrown away the sponge, but ill be standing up 99% of the time now, i still love to have a bash so the lid is staying.

Cleaned all the wax off it last night and wiped some metho over it, will be putting tail pad on today.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:04 pm

JaxonB wrote: And gut sliders, dont worry i havent thrown away the sponge, but ill be standing up 99% of the time now, i still love to have a bash so the lid is staying.
Im calling BS on the 99%. the crappy summer season has ended and the surf is only going to improve from now on. you're gonna go out there on your stick, it'll be 4 ft glassy offshore barrelling every wave, and you're gonna say "shit, i wish i had my lid"

bintang

Post by bintang » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:03 pm

big move there young fella.after the shocking flat spell 2 summers ago I cracked and grabbed my brothers standup.the first couple of actual rides on the thing (as kookful as they were) laid down a challenge I couldn't resist.the next 2 years were a rollercoaster of crazy highs (first pit, b/hand reo, b/hand pit,f/hand reo,roundhouse) and devestating totally humiliating lows of chronic kookness; like hassling for sweet peak and butchering the take-off so badly that you never want to surface.when the autumn swells cruise in soon stick to your guns.boards will break but your lid experience should get you into some barrels.a clean pit feels wicked on a lid or d.k but standing up is in a new league.good luck.

p.s what animal eats bluebottles

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:25 pm

birds

CARPARKKING
regular

Post by CARPARKKING » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:00 pm

has that board been snapped before, cos it looks like there is a white repaired section about 3/4 along the board

fo0ti

Post by fo0ti » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:37 pm

bad life choice right there
bodyboard 4 life
but good luck standing up haha
wont get pitted like on a bodyboard tho