Evolution Fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hawkeye
barnacle

Evolution Fins

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:03 am

A post in another thread asked the question, but it didn't seem to get much attention so I thought might be worth its own topic.

Has anyone tried the new Evolution 1.1 fins? They're FCS-compatible with an interestingly different foil and a very triangular planshape. I'm considering stocking some in my little eBay store, but I don't want to be trying to foist dogs on my fellow surfers (you guys) if they don't work, so I really appreciate your advice on how they go.

Are they any good? How do they compare with what else is out there? What are they like to ride? Thanks so much for your feedback. :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 am

Hawkeye, didn’t see your response in the ‘other’ fin thread so disregard the question in the PM about the info.

I think GM in the US need Lee to do a job for them!

Back to topic...

Personally I like the look of the Evos and would be interested to try the quite flexible polycarbonates... next board with FCS plugs perhaps...

I used to shape mal fins out of polycarbonate, bloody nightmare but an interesting substance.

fong

Post by fong » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:06 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
I used to shape mal fins out of polycarbonate, bloody nightmare but an interesting substance.
that sounds like a worst nightmare type job :shock:

hawk.....just lookin your pic above...i don't really like the look of them :cry: but i could b wrong (1st time 8) ) so interested replys :arrow: i'm really keen on these h2 type fins....i recken the extra tow out angle would help with a fish type design :?:

u got em :?:

p.s ric...u vid on way back....better late than never :oops: ...u gor a pressie comin two :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Re: Evolution Fins

Post by Johnno » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Has anyone tried the new Evolution 1.1 fins? They're FCS-compatible with an interestingly different foil and a very triangular planshape.
I'm sure a few here Hawkeye would be more than happy to trial some free samples for you .................... :wink: :lol:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Johnno wrote:I'm sure a few here Hawkeye would be more than happy to trial some free samples for you .................... :wink: :lol:
Hmm... Free sample to try... might try that on the rep. Good idea Johnno! :lol:
ric_vidal wrote:Personally I like the look of the Evos and would be interested to try the quite flexible polycarbonates... next board with FCS plugs perhaps...

Based on what I've learned about fin flex recently I'll probably centre my attention on the composites - they're a lot stiffer.

Yes, polycarb is quite an interesting material. I used to use it for years on nitro-powered model race car bodies. Heaps strong and resilient but not real stiff, but was the nly thing to use. Prone to tear if you leave a nick in an edge from say a pair of scissors. Using a grinder on a fin blank would have thrown off some nasty fumes - hope you had your charcoal filter mask on?

Back to topic - has anybody used these Evo 1.1 babies who has an opinion to share?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:08 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Back to topic - has anybody used these Evo 1.1 babies who has an opinion to share?
Not untill I get a free pair ................. :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:28 am

Hawkeye wrote:Using a grinder on a fin blank would have thrown off some nasty fumes - hope you had your charcoal filter mask on?
Well that explains a lot! :shock:

No samples to brewmeister Johnno until we see some amber bottles down this way... :D

Flex Hawkeye I don’t know, I like the flex of the ploycarbonates as it seems natural if you look to our fishy friends, but maybe it’s just about capturing the right amount?

I nominate you to be the test driver and get back to us with your findings, and if you get a couple of sets send some up to Mr Coffscade... :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:24 am

fong wrote:really keen on these h2 type fins...
Heard so many early comments about how small they were... well what do you know they now come in 3 sizes... so much for hydrodynamics and tank testing! :shock:

john f

Post by john f » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Just got some of the black evo 1.1 fins.
Have only ridden them in a 6'1 (im 58kgs and my normal shorty is 5'10 but not FCS) so probably not the best board to test em on... Initial impressions were that they went really well. Seemed to make the board feel pretty fast and responsive, they held well carving and released easily when I wanted them to. Would love to try them in a smaller board. For $36 from the evo website for a set of 3? they're pretty good value too.
Cheers

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Hawkeye... ever tried selling genuine FCS fins through your ebay store? :P

I can't help but wonder about the stiffness of Polycarb ( in a bad way ), although I know RV has done a bit of experimentation and reckons it was good. I also wonder what the hydrodyamic credentials of the Evo's designer are. Those little bobule things on the sides of the fin strike me a bit like the wings they put on Ken Carter's rocket car!

Still wouldn't mind giving them a go though... I mean they couldn't be as bad as the Speeedfins "V" fin LOL.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Anybody know where I can get a white RHS fin for the one I have snapped