Feedback for new fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

scroopulis
Local

Feedback for new fins

Post by scroopulis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:40 am

I tried looking through some old posts but its just full of "I'm better than you" stuff so i thought i'd just post this. I know its odd but its actually a surfing related question and (shock horror), a shortboarders question. I've just ordered a new board (now the waves are gone). Gunna try those new FCS fins with the concave inside edge thingos. They are a G5 fin.

Anyone tried these things / Whatcha reckon about 'em?

I'm thinking of busting 'em out at Sth Curly next time Parkos around.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am

There's a fair amount of stuff in the forums about those fins. Try searching FG-3 and FG-5.

I had some fives, felt that they generated too much drag in small waves. Tried the 3s and haven't looked back. They feel like they create more drive and a shorter turning arc.

but maybe that's just me.

and beware the south curlie b-board boyz. Those cats are heavy. :lol:

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:22 am

Scroops, I like them but it took me a while to get used to them. I really had to persist as at first i didn't like em. I thought they were slow on take off. However, now i rate them and ride them almost exclusively. You just need to be aware they are slightly more toed in which effects the turning of the board (for the positive), hence why I thought I felt them a little slow on take off until you have momentum.

I suggest you test them from your local shop with a test drive centre that way you don't fork out the cash if you don't like em. No one fin suits everyone, good luck and let us know how you go.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:39 pm

He is not referring to either. He is talking about the FG series with the infinity logo on the outside,

Scroops maybe go one better and try the performance core, same fin and foil but with a foam core and lighter

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Scroops!

The FG5's are definitely an improvement on the stock plastic fins sold in most boards.

I used to have a set of FG-5's in my 6'4". They went great in my 6'8" when it was head high, but I thought they were too rubbery for the kind of conditions I ride my 6'4" in, and they lacked drive. The nearest Soar equivalent (OCDL's) were just as good for looseness, but gave the board more drive all round.

Now I know I sell Soar fins and it's probably reasonable to assume I have an axe to grind, but I'd just like to mention the reason I got involved with them was that, after trying their fins as a retail customer, I liked them so much I thought they needed a bit more promotion. And of course, the chance to make a little money for my efforts is a welcome bonus.

Bottom line: I have a set of FG5's I'm no longer using. If you live in Sydney you are welcome to borrow them for a couple of weeks so you can get a decent impression of them in varying conditions.

PM me and we'll hook up.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:23 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I liked them so much...
“...I bought the company”

Well that’s what I thought you were going to say...phew... :lol:

You get my Evolution PM?

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys (and thanx Hawkeye for the offer) but i think i'll get 'em anyhow. I might do what bro said and get the lightweight ones (my board will no doubt be glassed with dunny paper and spit) so weight is always an issue for a shorty. I already have the G3s and the standard G5s and if these guys don't go so well in the new board they might do alright in one of my old boards.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:45 pm

I got a set of FG-5's last week after talking to one of the guys at Wicks, I highly recommend them, I might not be able to tell the difference in fins, but these feel good, but I liked the G5 template anyway (until I snapped one)

I'd give them a shot if I were you

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:45 am

ric_vidal wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:I liked them so much...
“...I bought the company”

Well that’s what I thought you were going to say...phew... :lol:

You get my Evolution PM?
Funny you should say that - I finished the biography of the Lee Iacocca, the guy who turned around Chrysler and saved 600,000 auto jobs in the US - wasn't that the guy who used to say that with Remington razors?

Yes, I did get the PM. I'll follow up on Monday. Thankyou!! :D

snurfer

Post by snurfer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:14 pm

It was Victor Kiam II who used to say that.

I have a new board coming with the FCS M-5s on it - G5 template, inside foil, glass flex fibreglass composite.

Like the look of the Soars though, is there a shop on the northern beaches that demos them?

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:28 am

snurfer wrote:
Like the look of the Soars though, is there a shop on the northern beaches that demos them?
just go try a set of PC5's from fcs. Glass panelled fin thats foam filled. Excellent, its what I usually use. FCS have got alot of templates and glass fins coming out very soon. They all look unreal. :P

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 am

snurfer wrote:It was Victor Kiam II who used to say that...
That’s right, good head for trivia snurfer!

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Scoops of pustulence, I think your refering to FCS new fins they've called M5's. they're like an extruded fibreglass composite (= stiff) with the inner concave you've mentioned.

I'm trying a set out now and really like them. they're quite drivey and do have a lot of hold through floaters and turns. I've come from the more crap flexible black ones but