6 Channel bottoms

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bro
Local

6 Channel bottoms

Post by bro » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:07 pm

Has any one ridden a 6 channel or own one? I know they are best in clean down the line waves and are limited in crap surf but is it worth getting one to try out or for the quiver?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi bro get a good channel set up and it's happy days. :D

Go to this link
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3478

You will find a few comments and Nick covers a good description ( as always ) about them............... :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Had a Bob Margett’s shaped Maddog years ago with channels that went rather well, but it didn’t like the foam much.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Alan Byrne in QLD does killer channel bottoms as does Laurie Byrne ( no relation) who shapes for Byrne Brothers . None of them are related.

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Currently riding a beautiful 6 channel 6'4"from the skilled planer of Gunther Rohn, and very nice it is too. No bad habits (many people warned that there would be) and a very positive drivey feel.

Fin choice is important but. The channels themselves act as sort of fins, so normal fin set up (G3, etc) is just too stiff. It wasn't until I paired up the channel with the H2 fins that FCS do that it really sang. The fins (you know, they're those silvery weird looking ones) are angled out more and way looser, and that really suits the channel set up.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will add one to the quiver. Now who do i get to shape it hmmm

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Al Byrne, of course!

bro
Local

Post by bro » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Logical choice i know but I don't have a relationship with Al, which means paying full price so I need some one on the northern beaches to shape it for me so I get trade pricing, any suggestions?

I'm thinking Warner or Col landhams (sp)

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am

Might be worth paying the extra now to get it done properly by the acknowledged expert at making them fly, and if you decide they've got a long term future in your quiver, get a copy made locally.

Depends on whether your more concerned about maybe getting one that doesn't work because it wasn't your chosen shaper's "thing" (highly likely), or spending the extra and still getting one that doesn;t work for you / your usual conditions (a much lower risk, and one you can manage by talking with the shaper and sending him photos of your normal conditions.)

For the extra $100-200, I'd go with the guy who's known to make them work.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:59 am

Hawkeye wrote:Might be worth paying the extra now to get it done properly by the acknowledged expert at making them fly...
Sounds like solid advice to me Bro...

Go and drum up a new client that makes 6 channel boards and still get it at trade :D

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:39 am

Yep it would be the sensible thing to do so now I have to wait until next time on the Goldie (damn was there last week) hmmm can I hold out a few weeks :wink:

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:33 am

al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al byrne al
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 am

have 2 channel bottoms in my rack. Always have had one.
603 Dylan
608 Dylan

both good for around here when it starts to crank.

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:50 pm

A.B. and Hamish Graham :D

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:20 pm

yep... got two. Custon shaped to my spec, with the most bullshit channels you have ever seen ( razor sharp edges and half an inch deep ).

It goes absolutely UNROOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Without doubt, THE fastest, most fun board I have ever owned.

Here's a pic of the 5'11" pocket rocket...
http://www.nastysurfboards.com/images/rocket1.jpg

patske
regular

Post by patske » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:56 pm

I got something like that a mate of mine just passed it on to me he's had it for years and never surfed it... seems like I'm getting a few of these offers as I tell more and more people I surf haha, anyway it says "VENTURI CHANNELS" on the bottom ... ooooh and I'm guessing it was shaped by Leo Kastrup. (???)
Anyway here's a pic I rubbed out my mate holding it so you wouldn't laugh at his man boobs lol.

It's about 6'3" 6'4" I'd say nice shape I like it haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'll take it out for a spin this weekend though.

fong

Post by fong » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:09 pm

grazza wrote: H2 fins that FCS do that it really sang. The fins (you know, they're those silvery weird looking ones) are angled out more and way looser, and that really suits the channel set up.
i like the toe out angle on those.....u recken they work eh :?:

i never really rode a 6 channel :cry: told good in good waves :?:

grazzer...have u tryed those h2 fins in any other boards :?: