Songle fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Waterman
Grommet

Songle fins

Post by Waterman » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:07 pm

Anyone got any single fins from 6.3 to 6.8 available for sale?
Anyone seen any?

Also who else prefers single fins to over rockered thrusters?

Dont know why but riding a single feels so much better under my feet without having to pump much to get speed, with better control in tubes....

I dont know why their not popular.
If any of yoooos hot chicks want to be really lucky send me a PM wif yore number

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:44 am

single fins are gay

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:43 pm

p-a wrote:single fins are gay
Have you ever pulled into a decent barrel on one :?

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 pm

you bet p-a has. One of the most accomplished surfers on the northern beaches on one...

shitusername
Grommet

Post by shitusername » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:15 am

Try Mick Mocks new shop 'little dragon' in bramley lane newport. He has some amazing retro boards there, pretty cool little shop

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 am

Six Ounce Board Store (http://www.sixounceboardstore.com.au/) at Bondi has a range of single-fin, retro and other alternative surfcraft. I ordered a Rabbidge 6'4" single-fin swallow-tail from there last year. A real fun board. Stable, easy to get into waves and good for down-the-line trim and speed. For manoeuvrability though thrusters are still the best. That's why they took over after Simon refined the design. I find it's best to mix it up, depending on the conditions and my mood. Having a single-fin definitely adds a extra dimension but I wouldn't want to surf them exclusively.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:15 pm

Longygrom wrote:you bet p-a has. One of the most accomplished surfers on the northern beaches on one...
Thanks longy I can rest easy now knowing that :lol: :lol:

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:09 am

if u want a good single fin go down to boardscape in av u can get one new for $600 a nice dimond tail and they go well but i dont know any nose tail pod dimention for u

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:41 pm

I gots an old 6'6" Baja, shaped by Kane Kahikilani, originally bought at Daniell surf (called Division these days), its pretty well beat up but i know it went pretty darn good when i rode it about 10 years ago, if youve got any skills with the materials you could easily get it into a rideable condition, makin it look pretty again might be a bit tougher, PM me if yar interested.
Last edited by WANDERER on Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 pm

PS: i got enough boards clogging up my garage at the moment, and i few fixer-upperers to get to so i may as well let it go to a good home.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:58 pm

moreorless wrote: For manoeuvrability though thrusters are still the best. That's why they took over after Simon refined the design.
I love this revisionist history. Simon has gone from inventing the thruster to refining it. If you read the new SW he gives props to the fathers of the thruster - Geoff McCoy, Frank Williams, Steve Zoeller. The bonzer, which the revisionists cite, was a dead end, says Simon.

Sorry for ranting, but I read this stuff more and more, esp in discussions relating to retro surf craft. People wanting to downgrade Simon's role to that of a design tweaker. And that is not the case.

(oh, the new STAB has an interesting interview with Matt BIolos about fish boards, if you're interested. He doesn't quite call them crutches for kooks. But he comes darn close.)

cheers,

the thoroughly modern COL