worst surf shop on the northern beaches??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pooshkie
regular

Post by pooshkie » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:49 pm

surfection is by far the most awsome surf shop.
city surf i think is by far the worst surf shop... looks more like a skate shop if you ask me :twisted:

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:21 pm

surfection at mona have been great for buying stuff, there backyard sales are epic and if you go during a board sale and do a lot of negotiating you can get a decent deal.

its not quite on the Nthn Beaches but worst surf store goes to SuperSwell at St Ives. after Division went from there the new place has sweet F. all idea on skating (which is big at st ives) or surfing. plus the owner is a cocky w.anker.

spikeysteve

Post by spikeysteve » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 am

I shop at dripping wet all the time. never had the hard sell, never been "sold" anything unless i expressed an intrest in it from the start and always got good deals.
usually buy boards second hand, and i reckon they have the best selection. some of their seconds are carp, but thats why there $200, ride it for 6 months and trash it, who gives a rats? also great if your a poor grommy.
Usually when im in the market for a second, ill do the rounds in manly, and end up back at dripping. funk, the number of times ive walked into aloha and asked for a board around the $300 mark, and theyve pulled out creased brown pieces of carp and said yeah man this is a really nice board, look i can probably do you a deal, its usually about $400... come on, ive been surfing 12 years, just coz i didnt grow up in manly and hang out in your shop every week dosent mean i dont know a steamer when i see it :wink: i resent them trying to play me like a tourist.
you can tell dripping wet is a real surf shop by the pure number of boards they cram in to such a small shop. what else are they there for?
as for all the kooks in manly, blame the surf school, blame billabong and quicky for making surfing so marketable, blame manly for being such a beautiful beach and having good beginner waves, hell blame your own damn self for being so sexy and having so much fun that other people wonder what this thing called surfing is really all about...

spikeysteve

Post by spikeysteve » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 am

oh yeah, and i hate any surf shop with no boards, or a little rack of boards hanging out the back, behind all the racks of clothes. i spit in your face, and the face of the whole "surf culture" industry. the day you see me forking over 75 of my hard earned dollars so that i can buy a tshirt that makes me look like a freakin grafittied billboard will be a flat day in hell indeed.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
maybe thats another topic tho....

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:26 am

spikeysteve wrote: hell blame your own damn self for being so sexy and having so much fun that other people wonder what this thing called surfing is really all about...
That's classic.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:17 am

I've found Surfection (esp Mosman) to be patronising and a bit full of themselves. Which means I won't buy a board there ever again. Dripping Wet however, have been nothing but friendly and helpful - the guy I dealt with even posted me a spare set of fins, free of charge. If yr buying off the shelf boards I'd go there first.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:49 am

we were like old old neighbours with the mosman surfection owner (Julian?), and when i was about 12 i tried to get a discount on a skatboard, yet he denied it so i couln't get a better price :evil: So i didn't buy one.

But stu's a good guy :wink:

Patto09

Post by Patto09 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:27 pm

I reckon the Aloha call is spot on, you get some blow-in working there without any regard for building up a clientel. I too have been shown a board at about $300 which I would have left out for garbage.
Wick's is awesome. Longy surf/sale for wettie.
For great service see Rommel at the Mona Vale Board Shop, Darley Street, awsome selection and $150 cheaper than the chains for a custome board.
I think this is a good thread, but only if you provide the other side of the coin, ie praises when deserved.

Peace.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:55 pm

I don't live on the northern beaches so will avoid expressing an opinion, but I'm all for this sort of discussion.

If all the real surfers just stopped buying from the worst offenders then we get better service and products all round, or they go out of business.

I reckon this discussion should be encouraged, and if anyone actually owns or works in these shops they can work out what they have to do to win back your custom.

If you get shite service somewhere then make a statement and don't go back.

Generally I don't frequent many surf shops these days. I do however recommend the surf shop in Gerringong. It's a boutique but the owner is a genune surfer and they have a good range of boards, and a genuine sale every xmas.

No financial interest in the shop whatosever. It is a long way from the northern beaches, though.

I'll move on now.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Re: worst surf shop on the northern beaches??

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:31 pm

pig champion wrote:ok let's hear it ... and please give reasons why ...

for me it's 'dripping wet ' @ manly ... they just sell absolute crap & don't give a shit what you buy as long as you buy something ... most of their boards are crap quality from what i have seen & been told ... production line DHD's & other odds & sods ...

they also flood manly with kooks of all varieties ...
I found dripping wet to be one of the more honest shops, if I made the wrong choice I was able to swap it within a couple of weeks no questions asked. Surfection Mona and the shop @ DY are the two worst I've seen. Best Dripping Wet, Wicks and the one at Cronulla!
Last edited by Shaunm on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never confuse ambition with ability

craig
regular

Post by craig » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:06 pm

a bit off topic but still surf shop related.....
anyone ever notice that all the surf shops on the northern beaches/ sydney generally stock the same stuff, but go to qld or even just to wollongong and the range of clothing you see on the shelves and on the kids around is markedly different?
though it doesnt stick out like dogs balls, if you havent noticed it take a moment to observe and you will..... spose' kids like to belong in their identical uniforms.....
personally the only thing i ever buy from surf shops is surfboards. the others are all just fuggin kiddin emselves. not only is it the exorbitant prices for goods produced in china but the stupid fuggin designs!!!! who was the dumb cnut whoever approved this 'splattered graffiti' style? the style that ruins good clothing with ridiculous graphics. you may notice a lot of it still sitting on shelves or at the 'backyard sale'......
i always look forward to target and k-marts new seasons range of unmarked, quality and reasonably priced 'fashion'. (hey, at least it really doesnt matter if i rip it , stain it or lose it..... often i even double up on items i know i will wear a lot.)
..... if only they shaped boards......

having said all that, i think the best surf shop on the northern beaches would have to be second surf opposite bunnings near the bakery. get a 1/2 decent custom for cheaper than anywhere and their second hand boards are reasonably priced.....and oh.... did i tell you about the clothing..... i recently bought a pair of functional boardies and 2 shirts (without stupidly large graphics) for $65.......beat that ......

the only tshirt i would like to own that has anything to do with the 3 large manufacturers of the surf clothing world is the one that says...

QUIK
RIP
A
BONG
.....only a shareholder knows the feeling.....

lovin, it

Post by lovin, it » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:11 pm

general pants owns sds now-just to let u know

lovin, it

Post by lovin, it » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:12 pm

and craig above, its called specific market so in different areas the demand for different items change.....makes sense doesnt it

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:30 pm

I reckon the guys at Dripping Wet are awsome. Really honest guys, they aren't pushy, heaps of stock...what more could you want?

Surfection Mosman is fine too. Sure, it's targetted more at Mosman mums but that's the target market. Every time I've been in there I've had a long chat to the obviously still surf stoked owner who has always given me great deals on boards I've bought there. And we all know Surfection Carlton St is great.

If you guys wanna see bad surf shops you should wander around Bondi some time (Six Ounce Glass Board store excluded).

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:44 pm

wanto wrote:
loco4olas wrote:Boardscape, Avalon
lol, bevan is a good guy, just don't argue with him!
Ahh I could tell you some stories-if you ever get the chance, ask him where he empties his vacuum cleaner bag.......

G-Land -August?

Matt