Mccoy nugget vs Miller Waterskate

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

betty boop
regular

Mccoy nugget vs Miller Waterskate

Post by betty boop » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:39 am

How do Miller Waterskates compare with McCoy nuggets, aside from the price?

I have a 6'10" nugget which catches everything but I have trouble getting it out back. I'm a beginner so it's seriously thick (6"10" by 21 1/2 by 3 1/4) and i am seriously small and a chick at 48 kg

I was considering a shorter nugget or a thinner waterskate.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:52 am

I would go the waterskate, although at your size you don't really have to go the full beginner board
As for the Nugget i don't how or why anyone would ride one of those they go against normal board design theory and look like absolute pigs. I have never seen anyone ride them with any ability

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:44 am

Cheyne Horan won one the World Masters Championship in about 1999 beating Tommy Carroll in the final and he was surfing a 6'6" nugget. No-one of any ability?

Be that as it may nuggets are for intermediate surfers, not ripping pros. They are a fantastic design for their target market imho. And having surfed a nugget and a waterskate I reckon the nugget is a better board for the type.

At your weight betty the 6'10" is awfully big. If you're catching waves, standing up and doing turns I'd suggest dropping down to around about 6' or 6'2" and see how you go. You could ultimately go shorter as well but if you start finding limitations in a nugget around 6' I'd suggest moving over to a more conventional shortboard as that will mean you're getting pretty good.

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:31 am

thanks for your thoughts guys :D

I started surfing with a too small short board (6'8" by 19 1/2 by 2 3/4)and could never catch anything.

Then I gave into the dark side and got a 7'6" minimal which was also quite hard to catch waves with as it had a bit of rocker. I found the mass produced pop outs were too hard to turn for my weight and height but a shorter board meant much fewer waves.

I finally hit the jackpot withe this nugget which is very very heavy and wide but great to learn on. I spoke to lots of surf shops and I found that they always overestimate my wave catching and paddling potential,probably beause they are boys and i am a chick. Much as I hate to admit it, I think boys have the advantage when it comes to upper body strength and paddling. I can only surf once a week or fortnight so I'm not going to get that surf fit but at least now I have a chance at picking waves

Anyway, I'll keep my eye out for a smaller nugget. Thanks again

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Fri May 13, 2005 2:12 pm

i was in much the same position (apart from the gender part......and i weight a bit more) but i found the waterskate worked quite well.

heaps of stability on the thing.

have since bought a nice line-up, still miss the miller though.......