Tell me about quads

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Tell me about quads

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:58 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: Tell me about quads

Post by channels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:26 pm

My 2 cents, they take a bit of getting used to.. in my limited ability, it seems foot placement is more important, for avoiding a bit of looseness/skatiness on the bottom turn to getting the right angle into a top turn. Mine can take a way higher trim line on the face, very fast in a straight line and can beat sections easily. My JD with 5 plugs only gets ridden as a thruster now, prefer it that way. Also picked up a More FatBat which is a dedicated quad which seems a bit better as a dedicated quad rather than as a quad/thruster combo.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:46 pm

i rode quads almost exclusively for a three year stretch. the stringer centric hi-perf types, and the rail centric flatter rockered types. in comparison to a thruster, quads "feel" faster down the line, but "feel" less accurate in turns. my love affair with them is over for now. though if i ended up surfing waves that really required going balls out down the line, just to beat sections, then i'd probably look into getting another.
Last edited by Hatchnam on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 pm

not suitable for beachbreaks. thrusters go way better.

dial it in a bit then try it again up north or in some lined up surf. you need to draw different lines to get the best out of them. and those lines aren't really available on a beachie.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:49 pm

steve shearer wrote:not suitable for beachbreaks. thrusters go way better.

dial it in a bit then try it again up north or in some lined up surf. you need to draw different lines to get the best out of them. and those lines aren't really available on a beachie.
totally 100% agree.
Sniff wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:29 pm

I don't 100% agree for the waves I surf, but I just about do for the waves legion does.

Legion, my guess is that you need to go down in size on the fins. Probably all of them but almost certainly the rears, and likely by a lot more than you expect.

And double foiled rear fins take away a lot of the feeling of being on a scalectrix track.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:03 pm

"fast steep walls ideally where pivoty surfing isn't necessary." --- Good conditions for a quad.

And like Alakaboo says, drop the size of your back fins (considerably) and make sure they're fairly upright (not raked out) and that should help the board pivot/go-vert easier. --- but it'll likely never pivot on the spot as easily as a thruster. They're different boards. Quads feel more like they're "projecting" thru turns, than pivoting super tight like a thruster.
Sniff wrote:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:26 pm

^ have a read of this. http://www.mckeesurf.com/?page_id=267. particularly this part, as it gives a good overview of what to expect with different fin sizes/combos.

Sniff wrote:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Depends upon the tail width but on most of my quads I run twin/small trailer combos.
So larger than the fins on the McKee chart above.
Think CI AMT's, Akila Aipa twins, Scarfini twins with various rears, FCS gxq (longboard sidebites), Dick Van Straalen sharktooth rears from both Shapers and Huie, Indo controller rears.
If I'm running rears that are closer to the rail them flat sided and if more stringer centric then double or 30/70 ish.
I like the drive of the big twin up front with the right amount of hold applied to the tail in turns.
Once the waves get larger I go to more conventional sized quad combos for control since I don't need the drive as much.
Worth trying as you may really like it. Luckily I have a really eclectic fin collection that has taught me a lot through experimenting out of the box.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

legion - i think shearer's advise about quads in general not being the best for beach-breaks is the single biggest revelation i had after riding quads for some time. found that overall, I'd be outrunning the wave, often ending up too far out in front of the pocket, washing off speed and cutting back. overall, surfing flatter but faster lines, though with the trade-off of surfing less top-to-bottom and tight in the pocket.

is yours a step-up, a rounded pin or pintail type quad? if so, it'd probably go bananas at somewhere like gnarloo etc.
Sniff wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I got onto quads as with less experience I enjoyed the speed they naturally generated allowing me to concentrate on other stuff..

Now a few years on, as Hatchy says I am finding "I'd be outrunning the wave, often ending up too far out in front of the pocket, washing off speed and cutting back. overall, surfing flatter but faster lines, though with the trade-off of surfing less top-to-bottom and tight in the pocket."

I like my CV2 where its a long sucky wave where you need the speed but I think it's time for me to start looking at a Thruster.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:37 pm

You'll prob end up having a lot of fun on it. But there's pros and cons. Keep it for sprinty down the line surfing and you'll be sweet.
Sniff wrote:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Drailed wrote:I got onto quads as with less experience I enjoyed the speed they naturally generated allowing me to concentrate on other stuff..

Now a few years on, as Hatchy says I am finding "I'd be outrunning the wave, often ending up too far out in front of the pocket, washing off speed and cutting back. overall, surfing flatter but faster lines, though with the trade-off of surfing less top-to-bottom and tight in the pocket."

I like my CV2 where its a long sucky wave where you need the speed but I think it's time for me to start looking at a Thruster.
If your cv2 has quad plugs only just get thruster plugs and bingo...don't need to buy another board. One of my cv2 has the five fin option while the other is a quad.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Legion wrote:Iggs I like small boards. It's a step-sideways. 6'0" x 18.5" with my usual dearth of volume (although he slipped a bit more in). Refined as usual + a skinny tail template.
Skinny tail. Need less fin.

Unless it's a gun, I think quads are best suited to bigger (wider) tails.