Tell me about quads

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Tell me about quads

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Tell me about quads

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:23 am

Most shapers seem to have it dialled now, thanks to Bruce Mckee and his mission quattro. Although early on a fair few or them were simply putting quad setups on thruster shapes. There's quite a few variables on fin placement (as Ignatius already alluded to). Bruce's stringer-centric quads with a fair bit of space between the front and rear fins have the drive and speed characteristics that are often associated with quads. The rail-centric style tend to have the front and back fins set closer together enabling tighter turns with a reduction in the drive. I've got a couple of boards with closely clustered rail orientated fins that surf pretty much like twinnies. Getting the fin combination right on this setup took me a couple of months. Once the penny dropped, it was a bit of a revelation (to me) and the boards surf so well, especially on punchy little beach breaks. Having said that, the thruster setup seems to be winning the arm wrestle.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.