Step Up Volume

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JustSaying

Step Up Volume

Post by JustSaying » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:13 pm

I've just ordered a custom step-up Channel Islands board (K12), but think it might be a bit to floaty for bigger, punchy waves. I'm 86kg and the board is 33.7ltrs at 6'5 x 19 1/2" x 2 5/8". I'm pretty fit and have been surfing for 30 years. I plan on surfing this board in anything above a bit overhead, from points, reefs and beachies, but particularly ordered it for a trip to Cali in a few months. I was thinking of dropping the dims to 32ltrs at 6'5 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2". I'm really liking my Hypto Krypto 5'10, which is 33ltrs and my other small wave performance board which is 6'2 x 19 5/8" x 2 5/16" at 32ltrs. It seems boards are quite a bit wider than they used to be and that's fine with small-wave performance models, but what's the trend with step-ups? Any advice please.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Step Up Volume

Post by alakaboo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Where are you from? Cali waves are flat, I'd stick with the higher volume. Or just take your 6'2".

Where in California, too? Ocean beach SF is pretty different to La Jolla shores.

JustSaying

Post by JustSaying » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:34 am

Thanks for the reply.
Road tripping from Santa Barbara down to the boarder. So planning on surfing Rincon, Trestles, Huntington etc. I know it's not going to be like Indo or Fiji, but taking the family too so will checkout Hollywood, LA, Disneyland, a baseball match etc. Should be an awesome trip. Will my 2/3 F-bomb be okay for Sept/Oct?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 am

The wettie should be fine. I was in a 3/2 until Thanksgiving in San Diego.

Don't know anything about the waves between Santa Barbara and San onofre, but have a look at the bathymetry on Google Earth and head to some of the canyon-focussed beach breaks.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 pm

In 84 I surfed from Playa Rosarito up to SF. I can't say I surfed every beach but got to a few. SB along the cliffs there can get good with a bit of swell and that bank off the harbour wall is insane. San Onofre, think trestles and if you have any friends who are Marines surf the uncrowded waves along the shores of Camp Pendleton.

Heading south from SB there are a bunch of good waves north of LA in Ventura. Also Malibu in North LA is good. Highway 1 goes right by all of them.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I am about 87kg and fit. My go to board for good waves is 32.6 litres which is fine by me. My summertime Blackbox 6'1 is around 34 litres, which is also fine. My step up Indo mini gun 6'10, not sure on volume, but probably similar to the Blackbox.

I really appreciate the blackbox width/modern shape in smaller, fun waves. But for the bigger stuff the old school length of rail and narrowness of the mini-gun is super reassuring.

I have made the error in the past of buying boards with insufficient volume, but certainly no regrets about a little more flotation. I would have thought a little more paddle speed/ease would be a good thing in a step up, unless you are a pro who takes off under the lip on big waves anyways.