Mollusc

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Mollusc

Post by channels » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:18 pm

About to pull the trigger on a second hand Mollusc from a mate, using it to replace my Webber of similar dims as the foam is collapsing and the stringer starting to come through the glass.

Anyone ridden one? I'm assuming they go OK considering Simon's rep....

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Mollusc

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Great design. User friendly great all rounder that packs more "performance" than meets the eye.

though I can't vouch for the construction and durability of it. Not sure what blanks and glass he's using now, but back in the "base" days ago I found the Simon boards to fall to bits a little prematurely.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Lol, exactly what Iggy says. Exactly.

I had two mollusks, both excellent boards - absolutely do what they say... but yeah... seemed to ding a lot.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 pm

I bought a Mollusc off GumTree earlier this year. It was made by Base. And it has picked up heaps of pressure dings on the underside since then. Then again, it could just be me because all my boards seem to suffer that.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:00 am

Funny i had 2 Base boards, one a DHD Margo Pro (great board) and it lasted well and a XFC and it looked like Tiger Woods had been hitting golf balls at it after about 5 surfs, I assume they were made in the same factory. Saying that I had the DHD first by 6 months, maybe they started skimping then knowing they were busted.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:48 am

Super user friendly board that will still perform on a dime. Get a round tail version if you want to open the board up to a bit more versatility. Pretty much impossible to bog a rail on them. They paddle well, easy to surf and will still surf top to bottom if you want it to. Can't go wrong IMO.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Vaguely thinking of getting a Mollusc Robo Tuflite as a travel board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 am

Beanpole wrote:Vaguely thinking of getting a Mollusc Robo Tuflite as a travel board.
A small one would be good for throwing in the trailer when camping. I always take my poly board when camping because it has to go in the box trailer. I tie them down very well, but I don't worry about it too much. Wouldn't do that with my jds haha

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:40 am

Yes, it's nice not to always have to treat your board like a carton of eggs. Good for planes too.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:55 am

I like the look as well, just went had a read about them, looks like great travel board, here and OS.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Beanpole wrote:Yes, it's nice not to always have to treat your board like a carton of eggs. Good for planes too.
My jds are quite durable, I just don't like the idea of them In a box trailer. Devastated if one came off and got all scratched up though.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Went for a surf today on my NPJ 2+1, got to the beach, took it out the boardbag and the tail was flat like a platypuses bill.

Dont think I dinged a board for like 2 years, since having kids it seems every time I take a board out the bag.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:51 pm

You mean the tail was squashed and damaged?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

:( Yep!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 pm

ah f*ck.

I lent a mate a board I grew out of (got fat) one of his kids slammed it in the garage door about 1ft down the nose. It looks good being held on with tape, I keep telling him to get it fixed so it doesn't get snapped clean off and take someone's eye out. He refuses to the Berk.

Get it fixed is my recommendation.

My boards look like they are 4 years old after 3 months, due to my hopeless heavy feet and propensity to hit the board on every wipeout. Going to Keramas tomorrow, could be a wave you might like Drailed with those McNeil boards.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Straight to the ding fixer, didn't even paddle out. Nice boards are worth taking care of for the sake of $50. He'll do a good job and you will hardly notice. Just annoying because before this there wasn't a mark on it and it wasn't even done whilst surfing.

Keramas.... nice mate, enjoy... Whats not too like, yeah the CV2 would be great fun there. !!! Be even better if it was a left . How long you going for and how's the swell forecast?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:24 pm

9 days - 4-9ft forecast, don't think it holds much above 7ft and frankly I'm not a) good enough b) young enough (50) to be taking on that, hoping 4-6. Plenty of other places around e.g. car parks, KFCs etc....so should ok. I'll let you know what I thought. Couple of days at Echo Beach Canguu first. Just taking 2 boards 6'7 Psillakis V bottom, Chaos 6'4 Tri fin.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Nice, hope you score some cracking waves. Looking forward to hearing about it.