What shortboard

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: What shortboard

Post by Drailed » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 pm

Lol, maybe I dont either - I just need to become a better surfer!
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:54 pm

funny eh, I didnt have a thruster for 18 months to 2 years, I mainly rode 2+1's and kind of just accepted this was what i was going to ride, it takes a while to get used to them as well, being drivey etc.., bit of weight in them as well. Then thought sh*t I dont have a thruster, so over a period bought a couple I really like and it was easy to jump back on them. I then thought f*ck I'll go back to my 2+1's.......wasn't as easy as i remembered to get them dialed after riding the tri's. No real reason for blagging about this bar sharing experience and maybe if your on a good thing etc..

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm

A thruster shorty for 4-6 foot junky sectiony beach beaks for 6 foot 2 bloke ?

Just make sure it's not too wide flat or thick (avoid anything eggy or fish like) and adversely, nothing too rockered or low railed and refined (nothing indo step up like).

Moderation is the key. Moderate rocker, not too much volume or foil, go boxier on the rails so they don't bog on dead sections, squash tail roundtail or swallow.

If you're not familiar with riding shorties, then I'd be hesitant in splurging on a custom. Instead I'd shuffle thru gumtree or eBay for a while buying and reselling a few til you find what works for you.

You'll want a board that's user friendly but still high performance. But just don't go too formula 1 with it all .
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:09 pm

And while I totally agree with Natho about not getting too hung up on brand names or new boards or customs etc , by way of "design" something along the lines of the 7s salt shaker wouldn't be a bad option.

http://www.surfindustries.com/surfboard ... ker-cv.php

A board like that will handle a good range of conditions, sloppy or clean and grinding.

Oh, and if your committed to "getting a thruster" then don't buy some 5 fin set up with the thruster or quad option, just get a thruster and be done with it.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Beerfan wrote:Check out outerislands surfboards. Beautiful lines, no fancy wings hips dips or whatever the latest gimmick is, just surfboards for good waves.
Fcuk yeah. Last time I was in Bali on the first day of the big swell (8' faces), four older guys, all on Outer Island boards (7'-7'6"), paddled out and nearly dominated on the set waves. It was a very long session (4 hours plus) so I got to see them catch an awful lot of waves and negotiate lots of really critical sections. It was A-team time, so I was just picking up the slops, and in a good position - caught inside after surviving numerous closeouts - to watch them at work.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Just googled to try and get some pics of Michael Ray, and yeah, I think it was him and his mates.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

corles

Post by corles » Tue May 03, 2016 11:30 am

Firewire Baked Potato LFT 5'7 vs Stacey Return of the Jam 6'0 (both 39L)?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these two? Looking for a small wave machine that can handle up to head high with some fin adjustments. (39yo 75kg)

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am

corles wrote:Firewire Baked Potato LFT 5'7 vs Stacey Return of the Jam 6'0 (both 39L)?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these two? Looking for a small wave machine that can handle up to head high with some fin adjustments. (39yo 75kg)
A 5'7" FW Baked Potato is very generously volumed. I weigh just a couple of kegs more than you and have been riding a 5'3" version lately, there's plenty enough foam for even the smallest of days. My one is about 21 inches wide and has a flat deck, so despite it being short there's a disproportionate (to a normal shortboard) amount of foam packed into the width.

Haven't ridden the Stacey but I've fondled a few. Again, I reckon a 5'9" or 5'10" would be a more suitable size. Due to conventional planshape you might need slightly more volume on the Stacey than you would on the FW.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Cranked wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Check out outerislands surfboards. Beautiful lines, no fancy wings hips dips or whatever the latest gimmick is, just surfboards for good waves.
Fcuk yeah. Last time I was in Bali on the first day of the big swell (8' faces), four older guys, all on Outer Island boards (7'-7'6"), paddled out and nearly dominated on the set waves. It was a very long session (4 hours plus) so I got to see them catch an awful lot of waves and negotiate lots of really critical sections. It was A-team time, so I was just picking up the slops, and in a good position - caught inside after surviving numerous closeouts - to watch them at work.

I surfed mine this morning :), in conditions that are the complete polar opposite lol

corles

Post by corles » Tue May 03, 2016 3:05 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
corles wrote:Firewire Baked Potato LFT 5'7 vs Stacey Return of the Jam 6'0 (both 39L)?

A 5'7" FW Baked Potato is very generously volumed. I weigh just a couple of kegs more than you and have been riding a 5'3" version lately, there's plenty enough foam for even the smallest of days. My one is about 21 inches wide and has a flat deck, so despite it being short there's a disproportionate (to a normal shortboard) amount of foam packed into the width.

Haven't ridden the Stacey but I've fondled a few. Again, I reckon a 5'9" or 5'10" would be a more suitable size. Due to conventional planshape you might need slightly more volume on the Stacey than you would on the FW.
No problems, thanks for the heads up 2nd Reef, will see if I can test a few in the smaller sizes. Thanks again.

corles

Post by corles » Tue May 03, 2016 3:13 pm

2nd Reef wrote:

What are you running for fins on the 5'3 baked potato, any particular setup that is working well? Thanks

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue May 03, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm riding it as a quad with FCS H2 front fins for extra lift, and on the rears I'm using the front fins from an FCS AM set. Any rear fins with generous surface area and extra rake would be good - it's a short board with little rail line so you want drive. I'm not too bothered about the AMs being single foiled, the fin config on the Baked Potato is rail centric anyway, plus I'm not a big believer in double foils on rear quad fins.

This set up is going fine.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 05, 2016 6:53 am

ctd wrote:Has anyone surfed one of those outer island 'flex tails'? Thoughts?
YES!....How fast do you wanta go

VERY FAST = a normal stringered Outer

very FASTER = a V-flex tail

extremely very FASTER = a carbon tail

I've owned all 3 variations and they all work extremely well

what I cant comment on is the V-flex + carbon tail models " the ultimate in flex" is how Mitchell describes them....this model costs LOTS!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 05, 2016 10:43 am

I have a v2 flex supermal. Only a few surfs on it ( not surfing much at all ). Last surf the other day was in the biggest I've surfed on it ( head high sets ) and I haven't yet noticed the flex. You need a punchy wave. My jd keel fish i could feel the overall flex return ( parabolic rail ), but again only when it was in punchy waves. Not necessarily big, just fast breaking and punchy.

It's a beautiful feeling loading up a turn and feeling like you're being propelled faster out of the turn than into the turn. Feels like the turn is much tighter too

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Beery,
You'd love my DVS weiner 6'3" with its Webber flex fin set up. Takes a high line that is illuminating since there's a long fin in the water on your upper rail and then into a bottom turn and you can really feel the fins load up and then twangggggg.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Pics or it doesn't exist! :)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri May 06, 2016 6:09 pm

How's your Weiner compare to the All Rounder?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri May 06, 2016 9:20 pm

A weiner is just a different name for the allrounder when its lengths under 7'.
Only a rat can win the rat race.