New Generation Composite McCoys

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: New Generation Composite McCoys

Post by Davros » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 pm

err, how do the comp Mccoys go compared to traditional?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:43 pm

Davros wrote:err, how do the comp Mccoys go compared to traditional?
Good question! All I can tell you so far is that they take a lot longer to make - it's been exactly a year since I met with Kayu and he and Geoff started the process of making the 8ft version.

My expectation is that they surf just like the traditional ones - very nicely!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Lets us know please

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Davros wrote:Lets us know please
It has arrived!

I'll call the board "Lucky" because I got it on the very day that I wrecked the old polyurethane board of the same shape (on the rocks at Lennox). The composite seems much harder than the 'traditional' board, but I think it would have taken some damage nevertheless. I have the rock jumping at Lennox out of my system now, and hope this kind of impeccable timing is hard-wired into the new board! 3-)

15 months was a little long to wait, so I felt compelled to start my own shaping career with a 1:15 model, free handed.
At least the rocker turned out pretty good, considering no templates were used except the ones in my head:
It's double as thick (relatively) as the original, but the loaded dome is spot-on I reckon. :D

My feet are still a bit sliced up from the Lennox adventure, so no ride reports yet.

We've done a bit of bonding (making sure it's waterproof etc) and that the lines are recorded for history in case Lennox strikes again:

The fin is still not finished, so one of the infamous crinkle fins will just have to do for now. It fits quite well, and with the extra tough fin box mounting, the flex it has is so much more apparent (I don't know if that's good or bad, but it flexes a lot).
Attachments
DSC_0033_cropped-640x640.jpg
(84.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC07367_rotated-640x640.JPG
(64.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC07339_cropped-640x640.JPG
(60.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC07223-640x640_Rocker_comparison.JPG
(41.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Nice mate hues it ride?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Davros wrote:Nice mate hues it ride?
The wooden McCoy got some stiff competition soon after I finally got it: The fabled 7'11 Surftech Single Fin Nugget. I had been chasing one for years and did not think I'd ever get one. Well. I did!

So, I have been surfing the Surftech much more often than the wooden version. It is tougher and lighter, slimmer, more agile and much more fickle than the wooden version.

My request to Geoff McCoy was to shape this board as forgiving as possible. That is because I want to take this board with me when / if I have to move to a retirement home, or travel around the world, or jump on a space ship to Alpha Centauri. It is supposed be able to hang on a wall and look pretty, or perform in the water better than I can.

Well, the Surftech 7'11 SF feels like a Ferrari (I have never driven one), and the Wood-composite feels like a Rolls Royce (nope, I have not driven one of them, either). :D

The SurfTech can be duck-dived amazingly well, the wooden one resists duck-diving like a stubborn donkey.

The SurfTech really needs the back foot to be on the right spot, or it will not turn. But with the back foot in the right spot, it is very agile for it's size.

The wooden board will turn, no matter where I put my feet (within reason). I can even stand in the middle of the board, and it will turn very nicely towards wherever I want to go. Just kind of slowly, nicely, controllable. Just like I wanted and what I asked for. It has never thrown me off unexpectedly or for no good reason. Believe me, I give any board ample reason to throw me off. This board is behaving just like I asked for: Forgiving.

For now, I prefer the Surftech 7'11'' single fin over the wooden version most of the time.

As soon as I will have somehow missed a few weeks (or a couple of months or more) of surfing, I will very much appreciate the fabulously forgiving nature of this board. It is just what I asked for.

I do not think that materials and / or construction methods have much to do with the differences I have described.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:19 am

Cool summation ta MM

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Sorry MrMic, but you're going to hate me. I've owned four Surftech 7'11'' single fins over the last 10 years, the most recent about 4 months ago. Even took one to Indo and surfed good waves on it.

They've always been disappointing, for me they offer a very restricted performance subset of a McCoy thruster. They just won't project, you have to sit close to the pocket at the mercy of the wave, you can't just chose a point, say 15' down the line in front of the pocket, and say I'm going turn hard of the bottom then hit that lip up there. You're always just stuck on a restricted part of the wave, doing restricted maneuvers.

That said, they are pleasant and relaxing to ride; easy turning in the pocket and the way they seem to hunt out the power zone of the wave almost by themselves is great. A long boarder once complemented me on my style riding one, but it was just that there was nothing else to do but style it up and flow with the wave, I'm usually more frantic.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Cranked wrote:Sorry MrMic, but you're going to hate me. I've owned four Surftech 7'11'' single fins over the last 10 years, the most recent about 4 months ago. Even took one to Indo and surfed good waves on it.

They've always been disappointing, for me they offer a very restricted performance subset of a McCoy thruster. They just won't project, you have to sit close to the pocket at the mercy of the wave, you can't just chose a point, say 15' down the line in front of the pocket, and say I'm going turn hard of the bottom then hit that lip up there. You're always just stuck on a restricted part of the wave, doing restricted maneuvers.

That said, they are pleasant and relaxing to ride; easy turning in the pocket and the way they seem to hunt out the power zone of the wave almost by themselves is great. A long boarder once complemented me on my style riding one, but it was just that there was nothing else to do but style it up and flow with the wave, I'm usually more frantic.
What happened to the boards? You must like them if you keep getting them again.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Do you like weight in your boards for projection Cranked? I know I do.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:22 pm

I just trade them MrMic.
Yeah, there's something fundamentally appealing about the single fin concept I guess, and I am always very firm with myself about not getting another.

No I hate weight in a board, that's the main reason I dislike poly. A tiny, anorexic thruster still projects amazingly
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Really I find my boards, which are all 6'4 and under nowadays bar one, which are a little heavier on cloth catch and project into waves better, my EPS and a lighter more voluminous board seem to bollon a bit, but we ride very different boards, but there you go ay.