Step Downs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: Step Downs

Post by tootr » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:55 pm

That board didn't go so good till I put a big set of fins in front.

An old pair of FCS carbons lite TF 1. Sort of like MR size but less base.

Now its superb.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 pm

They look like m3's on the back too. Lots of fin area. Drive city!
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:30 am

Hatchnam, I'm looking around, a lot, at the moment.

I've bought a few boards in the last 18 months and have ended up a little disappointed with them, can't quite find that right mix.

Tried a hypto krypto, but got rid of it after about 5 weeks. I couldn't bear the ignominy of running into you with it under my arm, plus it was not the right volume for me in the end. At least that's what I decided. I have to admit though that it was one of the fastest boards I have ridden, when I could actually get a wave. Plus, I just don't feel comfortable if I'm riding the latest trend board, even if it is well deserved.\

Got a Simon Anderson mollusc. http://simonandersonsurfboards.com/au/mollusc/

It's a thing of beauty. Took it to Bali earlier this year and in good conditions - 3 to 5 just about every day, and pretty smooth conditions, it was fantastic, had a ball.

Took it to Bali again in October and with rougher water surface I found myself really struggling, but that was true of all my surfing at the moment. What I think I learned from that was that a little too much volume can really make life difficult in bumpy conditions, and with having dropped some weight and got a bit fitter I need something a bit more traditional volume. Mollusc in a shorter board would now be better for me, I think.

But the quality of the Simon boards is outstanding, so I am looking at going back.

I saw these in Simon's boards and really like the look and feel of them. I'm after a shorter board to be ridden as a quad most of the time with the option for the thruster. Love this one - http://simonandersonsurfboards.com/au/spudnick/

Or this one, closer to standard HP board but in the same vein. http://simonandersonsurfboards.com/au/5-spark/

I like the Dylan you posted. I just find it hard to buy a square tail anything. You may be right about small wave performance, just can't love them, and if I can't love them I can't buy them.

Also quite like the look of the firewire you posted, but have to say that it surprises me that you would be interested. I thought all firewires would be in your too cool for school hypto krypto catelogue of never to buy boards.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:40 am

I've also never quite understood the terms step up and step down, by the way. :-?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:16 am

Product differentiation /modern marketing 101
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Nice post oldman, I think the step up/down thing is, as Steve says, a marketing tool but I see it as less manipulative and just a term of reference ie: similar volume but shorter and flatter for step down or similar volume but longer and more bite from pintail for step up? I also had a similar experience with volume in my last 'step down', a merrick Motorboat too. It had great manoeuvrability and speed but it was pretty hard to handle in bumpy/choppy conditions. It also had 36ltrs of volume, quite a lot for my 70kg. Lately i'v been thinking the control problem comes from the thick rails, especially through the front foot area which sits high in the water.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 pm

tomo vanguard or similar.

PS i wouldn't be riding a step down in 4ft surf - thats pure HP territory.

Tojo

Post by Tojo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:13 pm

I've been browsing the forums a bit lately and this thread has interested me enough to sign up and contribute.

I have four HP shortboards in more or less the same dimensions which I've collected over the last few years, new customs and used bargains found on eBay and gum tree. An Egan, Simon XFC, Webber and a Dahlberg. All of which are 6'1" x 18 3/4" apart from the Webber which is 6'0". All feel about the same volume varying between 2 5/16" and 2 3/8" thick and are single to double concave thrusters. Tail widths vary between 14" and 14 1/4".

I've found these dims, for me the most versatile in waves up to 4ft. Beyond that the width begins to feel too skatey. The major design elements which make these boards independent of each other is rocker and also rail hardness up beyond the side fins. All the boards go well in even the smallest waves dependent on power, steepness and shape.

I've stayed away from going any shorter than the webber and feel the leverage from a standard shorty helps with momentum through turns. Plus the shorter boards just don't feel right with my height and stance. Feels as though my front foot goes beyond the natural pivot point along the rail. Does anyone else feel this?

Good thread and like the input.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:30 pm

G'day spork,

I've had the same sort of experience, which I have just come around to the effect of too much volume in the bumpy conditions.

Will be soon buying one or maybe two new boards, dependent on what I find out there. Looking for one in the 'step down' region, so probably a quad option around the 5'10'' to 6'0 to 6'2'' region, and something in the 6'6'' range very much back towards standard small board with just a little extra volume than full HP type shredder.

Alas, being a little older, I think something with a little extra is necessary, but not as much as I've had lately.

Also looking at the bourton range. I suspect his boards are really good for the right person.

Problem may be the variety of options out there. So hard to find 'the one'.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:17 am

JSREVOCUST-JS-INDUSTRIES-1.jpg
JS Revo
bourton.jpg
Bourton silver bullet
bourton.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 15549 times
Be wary of the Bourton ones with the cathedral hull in the nose. I don't recon they work that well in NSW beachies. A mate has one sitting in the garage after trying to make it work for 12 months and finally giving up and buying the JS revolution 6'1" which is a real nice board that covers a lot of wave sizes and body weights/abilities. I'm even thinking of getting one myself, although maybe 5'11" would be better for me.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:07 am

Oldman did you look at the Simon Face Dancer? I fondled both a Face Dancer and a JS Revolution of the same length. At first glance on website photos they look extremely similar, very close outline. What Simon calls "hidden area" in the nose". Same McKee-ish quad option fin placement.
The Simon just seemed a bit more refined. Simon's had a really pleasing foil _ less foam up the nose - and those beautiful slimmer rails; bit less chunky than the Revolution. Simon knows how to "hide" volume.
Face Dancer is slight/medium single concave with slight vee at tail, Revolution is single into double if I remember right.
I'm older too and seeking similar function from a board that's not too boaty but floats my aging bones, gets me into waves a bit earlier, doesn't have the limitations of a super straight rocker like a Hypto, and can still deliver a degree of performance.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 pm

FW Minnie Driver
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:06 pm

/\ for FW I like the look of the futura. Wide point slightly back from centre, pinched in ass end with the bitey little swallow, flatish rocker. That thing looks like it'd chomp up small waves

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... did=futura
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tojo

Post by Tojo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Legion wrote:
Tojo wrote:I've stayed away from going any shorter than the webber and feel the leverage from a standard shorty helps with momentum through turns. Plus the shorter boards just don't feel right with my height and stance. Feels as though my front foot goes beyond the natural pivot point along the rail. Does anyone else feel this?

How tall. I stand reasonably wide. Not grom-doing-airs wide but close. My small wave HPS size is 3" shorter than me. Up to the bridge of the nose. Regular good wave HPS size same as yours.
I'm a little over 6' so with the rocker my boards are about mid forehead level. My stance not as a grom going for a boost or a poo stance, I hope not anyway. Front foot generally stays in the same spot and my back foot shifts accordingly but less so on the backhand.
So what width are your small HPS's?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Hatchnam wrote:/\ for FW I like the look of the futura. Wide point slightly back from centre, pinched in ass end with the bitey little swallow, flatish rocker. That thing looks like it'd chomp up small waves

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... did=futura
I remember watching a clip ages ago where Nev said that he can't believe that the futura hasn't been more popular than what it is.
Apparently Taj burrows coach or old man or someone absolutely gags for the futura.

When it comes to the firewire range. I had a 6'2 dominator once but it was way too big for me. I demo'd a 6'0 and it was one of the best surfs I'd had at that stage in my surfing career. Right now If I was to get another firewire it would be a 5'10 dominator.
Last edited by JET01 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Picked up a 2nd hand 6.0 Mayhem Beach Buggy in excellent nick. Custom that was shaped by Matt in the US so it's not an "under licence job". Sounds alright in the blurb. http://www.lostsurfboards.net/surfboard ... gy-by-taj/

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 pm

BA wrote: Custom that was shaped by Matt in the US so it's not an "under licence job".
Given everything is machine shaped these days, is under licence stuff even an issue? I would have thought under licence just means a CAD file sent to the licence holder and plugged in to the machine.