Advice for a 3rd board

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Gumby
regular

Advice for a 3rd board

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on another board for the quiver.

I currently have a 6’2 x 20 x 2 ½ thruster and a 5’11 x 20 3/8 x 2 ½ quad

Both are standard performance shapes with rounded square tail.
Pretty flat rocker on the 5’11 as it’s a model that is designed for summer slop, but still goes good up to head high.
Little bit more rocker on the 6’2, but it’s still designed for small/fuller waves, but is my obvious/only choice for when it’s bigger.

As a 3rd board, was thinking something along the lines of 6’0 (or 6’1) x 19ish x 2 3/8 (or 2 ½) with round tail and bit more rocker.

My 6’2 is a nice board and fun, but lately when surfing in nice quality beachies it doesn’t feel like it’s digging into the turns as much as I’d expected or liked. Seems that perhaps it’s started to show its limits when its thrown into a turn at speed.
Now I’m not an awesome surfer by any means (would consider myself intermediate), and I’m sure technique is a contributing factor but I’m looking for THE board that is going to give me the most joy in quality waves anywhere from shoulder to overhead (however big that means until my balls say no). Looking for better turns.

Should I put up with my 6’2” and get that as dialed into all conditions as much as possible, or just go for the new board and complete a 3 board quiver which would theoretically cover everything from small/messy crap (5’11), shoulder/head high slower waves (6’2) and shoulder and above nicer/steeper waves (6’0)?
And if/when I’m trekking aboard to somewhere with good waves, I’d want to be taking the best board possible.

I know part of it is just the excuse to get a new board (do I need another reason?), but also wondering whether I’m missing out on a better surfing experience by not trying a board that is supposed to be a better performer in the conditions I’m describing (and maybe a surprise performer in conditions that aren’t as good?). And of course I want to fine tune my technique, but will the board help that?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Advice for a 3rd board

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Have you tried a different set of fins in the 6'2"?

Determine what it is you don't like with be current 6'2". Look at the current fins and then research what sort of new fins you need to overcome the current downfalls of your 6'2". Cheaper than a new board.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Cheers Don.
I have tried a few sets of fins in the board. Have found the set I think suits it well, but on the steeper/faster waves I find the board skipping out a bit on turns on occasions.
Not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, but considering all options. And regardless of whether my current 6'2 is a problem or not, would like to hear thoughts on whether the board I suggested would compliment the other 2 nicely. Anyone out there with similar quivers?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:35 pm

With all due respect, intermediate surfers don't require three shortboards.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Fair call Andy.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm

andy2476 wrote:With all due respect, intermediate surfers don't require three shortboards.
I disagree with that Andy.

I have a fat twinnie fish for the small stuff, a 5'8 as my normal stick and a 6'0 for when it's cranking. I wouldn't use any of them outside of those parameters.

* I actually have another 4 boards but I rarely use them.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm

I can see logic on both sides. Totally understand the view of sticking with what you've got, and that might apply for all levels. But then there's the "what if" factor. For me it's about trying new boards. I've had my current 2 for a while, especially the 6'2. I'm very familiar with how it rides and how I ride it, and now gets me thinking about where it becomes less of an asset in conditions where a more highly tuned board would respond better. Its not picking anything beyond my ability, but one that suits me for conditions that are better than the average day. If it doesn't, then I've lost nothing. I just stick with whatever board works.

Just my opinion

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
andy2476 wrote:With all due respect, intermediate surfers don't require three shortboards.
I disagree with that Andy.

I have a fat twinnie fish for the small stuff, a 5'8 as my normal stick and a 6'0 for when it's cranking. I wouldn't use any of them outside of those parameters.

* I actually have another 4 boards but I rarely use them.
Animal_Chin, may I ask what the specs are for your 5'8 and 6'0?

Cheers

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Thats fine and maybe you're able to get the most out of those boards, but they way gumby described his surfing and the fact he feels he has to ask for advice on what board he should get for his third, would suggest to me hi best chance of progressing beyond the level of intermediate surfer would be to get one good board and stick to it.

I was a grommet in the 80's. no one had more than one board.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:00 pm

andy2476 wrote:Thats fine and maybe you're able to get the most out of those boards, but they way gumby described his surfing and the fact he feels he has to ask for advice on what board he should get for his third, would suggest to me hi best chance of progressing beyond the level of intermediate surfer would be to get one good board and stick to it.

I was a grommet in the 80's. no one had more than one board.
Actually Andy I wasn't asking what board I should get. In my original post youll see I spelled out the exact board I should get. Was simply asking for opinions on similar quivers and if that combo suited anyone who had that set up.
In any case, I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the advice nonetheless. All good.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:27 am

Its hard to comment without knowing what the foil and shape of the 6'2" looks like. I mean a 6'2" shortboard can be made to bite in powerful waves and will hold pressure through a full-rail bottom turn or carve. A 6'2" designed more with smaller waves in mind will have a lot of lift provided by things like thicker rails and a wider tail, which can both create that skipping and sliding in more powerful sections.

It can also be the way you're surfing it. If you're not using your rail to drive through as much, and are lust jamming your board into turns, you'll naturally have less hold running through them.

Lots to consider.

Maybe post a photo of the 6'2"?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:12 am

Gumby wrote: And of course I want to fine tune my technique
An intermediate surfer wanting to "fine tune" his technique is considering a third hi-perf (or variation thereof) surfboard for this ?

What's your idea of "fine tuning" and what's your idea of "technique" ? As, There's bound to be a huge abyss between "what u think u need to work" on vs. "what u should really be working on"....

Seriously... (With respect, manners and all that)
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 am

post up some footy of yourself surfing Gumby and we'll be able to help.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:44 am

andy2476 wrote:I was a grommet in the 80's. no one had more than one board.
Ditto.... But doesn't mean that was the best way to learn either. Waves vary greatly and the "one board to suit all" doesn't equate. I imagine you'd probably have different set ups for ur different rides, conditions etc. and ud be acutely aware of the difference in how each perform. and we're talking about concrete here. It's pretty static. Whereas water is infinitely variable. Even a golfer has a quiver of clubs for their varied use.
I'd attribute a lot of shit surfing I see due to people trying to use the one board in all conditions (especially a hi-perf board, for all but the few who can), just as much as the intermediate who has more boards in the quiver than they can effectively use.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Gumby wrote: And of course I want to fine tune my technique
An intermediate surfer wanting to "fine tune" his technique is considering a third hi-perf (or variation thereof) surfboard for this ?

What's your idea of "fine tuning" and what's your idea of "technique" ? As, There's bound to be a huge abyss between "what u think u need to work" on vs. "what u should really be working on"....

Seriously... (With respect, manners and all that)
You're probably right Hatchman regarding the gap between what I think vs what I need to actually work on. For now I can only go by what I think at the moment.
I guess fine tuning to me is getting more style in my turns when the waves are more challenging. My turns are fine in your standard head high beach break (by "fine" I mean there is no trouble maintaining speed through the turns, going rail to rail, adjusting the speed/position to suit the section of the wave if its slowing down or closing out), but as I mentioned, the board is skipping out a bit on faster/steeper waves.
Not blaming my tools outright, but just thinking about that option.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Your view and those similar in this thread were at the front of my mind. I'm not blindly grabbing new boards but hey I like talking about them anyway.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:11 am

not suggesting it's the ideal situation it's just the way it was. the fact is though a learner does not need multiple boards
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:13 am

steve shearer wrote:post up some footy of yourself surfing Gumby and we'll be able to help.
Good idea Steve, but I don't have any. Have never really bothered with filming but it would be a good way to see what's happening.
Don't waves usually appear much smaller when you watch footage back? :)

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 am

Hatchnam wrote:
andy2476 wrote:I was a grommet in the 80's. no one had more than one board.
I'd attribute a lot of shit surfing I see due to people trying to use the one board in all conditions (especially a hi-perf board, for all but the few who can), just as much as the intermediate who has more boards in the quiver than they can effectively use.
Whether I'm right or wrong, this is the exact point that triggered this in my mind. It's the dilemma of which way will workout better. A different board that will either squeeze that extra bit of value out of the conditions it's designed for, or become a hinderence.
I guess it's not really a first world problem anyway. I stick with what Ive got and continue to enjoy myself, or try a new board and see what happens. If it doesn't reap the result I want, try again at a later date.

It's turned out to be a good discussion. Cheers guys.