Epiphany

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

spork
barnacle

Epiphany

Post by spork » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm

DSC_0011.jpg
Hope I spelt that right. Anyway, I finally bit the bullet on this widowmaker thing. The board in the pics is a 6'3" single fin pintail ( see thread http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=17239) It surfed pretty good, but the flat rocker v bottom was a bit of an issue. So, being bored last week I cut down a couple of old fins and glassed them on. I did a google search on position etc and most opinions where that the trailing edge of the sidebites lines up with the leading edge of the single centre fin. No cant, but the toe is the same as a thruster, i.e. points to the centre of the nose. This where the epiphany comes in, as soon as I bottom turned on the board I knew I had found my style of surfing. All the drive off the bottom turn and that familiar glide off the rail with no loss of speed, followed by a new found bite off the top. I have eight boards in the quiver, mostly thrusters and one quad, but this little baby has been in the car for a month. I love it.
Attachments
DSC_0015.jpg
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Epiphany

Post by diggerdickson » Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm

awesome, need some pics
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 pm

That's what it's all about- stoke.

Great stuff.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm

And you put the correct foot forward!.

Nice pics and good news on the board.

Awesome shot of your foot placement in the first pic, right over the centre fin. Looks like a speedy wave too.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Beerfan wrote:And you put the correct foot forward!.
I was just gonna say the only problem was he had the wrong foot forward. :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed May 21, 2014 7:53 pm

fins2.jpg
handmade fins
fins2.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
Sadly, that is not me. My mate Sean borrowed the board and ripped the bag out of every wave in sight. Then it took me a coupla weeks to get it back off him. Fortunately he moved to the cenny coast and I got the board back. Attached is the first set of fins I've made from scratch. I decided that the roundtail quad will make a good widowmaker. I've glassed in a finbox and these little babies will go in the front fin plugs. Layered up some glass on a piece of Perspex and then cut them out with a bandsaw. Then hand stuck them together with blu tac and hand foiled them. A nice piece of Indonesian batik stolen from the wife's sewing room is layed up inside. Its flat at the moment, so a ride report later. I will post pics of both setups tomoz.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm

20140522_080131.jpg
20140522_080131.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
20140522_080037.jpg
20140522_080037.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
looking forward to some swell to try these out.
Roy Stewart

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri May 23, 2014 9:45 am

Looks like great fun! I'ven ever ridden a 2+1, how would you describe the drive down the line and through turns?

You've surfed round-tail quads before, and I'm very familair with those. Theres a palpable increase in drive through turns compared to an equivalent thruster. How would you describe the contrast of this 2+1 to what your used to with thrusters and quads?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri May 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Its a funny thing Cpt, but I only like the quad on my forehand, unless there is a bit of size about, then its ok. I put it down to the width in the nose, the Bing Spork has an almost fish like width and I think it gets in the way when its small and fast breaking on my backhand. I mucked about with lots of fin combo's on it trying to get some semblance of drivyness up the face after the bottom turn. Very different from my thrusters , also roundtails, which have and almost pivoty feeling when driving on good size waves. Then there is the single fin pintail, which is all about driving a bottom turn off the rails and holding its speed right through the turn. The problem with single fins is they can be a bit unpredictable off the top, hence the invention of the widomaker. Essentially a single fin with little sidebites to give a bit more hold off the inside rail. In the pic of the pintail you can see the hand made flex fin I made after experimenting with dolphin and Greenough styles. The board is quite different to surf and looser in the tail because of the setup I'm using. It refuses to slow down through turns and charges back up the face with very little loss of pace. I'm not much of a surfer to be honest, but the one thing I can do pretty well is a full blown roundhouse cutty. This little board does em like nothing else iv ridden, Like I said its got me hooked. Of course it has a wider arc but I can't really do a decent frontside reo anyway, so its more like slide down the face and try to get out in front, lay it on the rail and let it hold a line back up the face. Then lay it back on the other rail and repeat until smiling. I still havn't had a chance to ride the Spork with the widowmaker set up and I'm of the opinion that it will be pretty different again. The sidebites ended up quite a way in front of the centre fin, which is also a fair way forward of the tail. Just looking at it makes me think it will turn better when I'm further forward on the board, like moving a single fin to the front of a finbox does. It also got me thinking that I could make a set of Bonzer style fins and try it like that too! haha, so much time to play.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri May 23, 2014 3:24 pm

spork wrote:The sidebites ended up quite a way in front of the centre fin, which is also a fair way forward of the tail.
Can you get a pic of the fins from side on?
I agree they look a long way forward on the quad, it's sort of more a thruster with a big forward centre.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri May 23, 2014 3:59 pm

fins.jpg
fins.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 5117 times
your wish is my command boo. the sidebites look big in the pic, but the centre fin is only 6", not the usual 71/2".
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri May 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Well I figured you'd have a camera handy.

Perspective is much better.
I'd still shift the centre forward a bit if you can.

I like that style of combo, too. Upright sides and a centre with some rake.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I can report that the modified spork was terrible, it lost all its speed and drive and found a whole lot of bland. I tried as many fin combos as my fin selection would allow and nothing worked so its back to a round tail quad as it was intended. It was a fun experiment though and I am completely happy with the other board, Its still my go to weapon of choice but that may change when the new channel bottom single arrives.
Roy Stewart

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:54 am

My 2 cents, 2+1 and Quads closerer in riding experience (maybe flatter rockers in the ones I have ridden) , Bonzer closer to Single feeling from the designs i have ridden.

Ironically maybe out of the lot the ubiquitous Tri fin the most individual.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:19 pm

on the exact same surfboard I find the thruster setup slower than the four fin. fins are looser and don't get caught up on vertical top turns but way slower.