Hypto Krypto voted "board of the year"

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Hypto Krypto voted "board of the year"

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 am

Yep. And for every 1 person ripping on their 5'6 I'll show u another 9 failing miserably. However, it is great to see when someone 'can' surf theirs
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 am

Hatchnam wrote:Yep. And for every 1 person ripping on their surfboard I'll show u another 9 failing miserably. However, it is great to see when someone 'can' surf theirs

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 22, 2014 10:03 am

well corrected. most people suck and ride the wrong boards
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 22, 2014 10:13 am

Yeah, unfortunately I'm in the 9.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Beerfan wrote: I had a 7'10" midlength that was pod shaped. Like a mccoy nugget but not as crazy thick. Almost identical nose and tail lengths, and wide point slightly behind centre. Finned as a thruster it was so much more loose than a board that long could be ( under my feet anyway ). I'm sure the wide point back made a big contribution to that.
Aaaaand dragging up a post from weeks back.... Do you still have this board Beery? I'm thinking of making myself something very similar, probs around 6'10", exact same outline as my 6'10" nugget but just not as bloody thick (maybe 2 5/8??).

How did this board go?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 22, 2014 4:27 pm

How big are you?

I had a 6'6" interchange nugget, thinner than the normal one but still way thicker than your average board.
I'm 75kgs and it was way too big for me.
A mate who is a bit over 90kgs loved it.

Did all the McCoy sort of things, good and bad

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 22, 2014 5:35 pm

damo666 wrote:
Beerfan wrote: I had a 7'10" midlength that was pod shaped. Like a mccoy nugget but not as crazy thick. Almost identical nose and tail lengths, and wide point slightly behind centre. Finned as a thruster it was so much more loose than a board that long could be ( under my feet anyway ). I'm sure the wide point back made a big contribution to that.
Aaaaand dragging up a post from weeks back.... Do you still have this board Beery? I'm thinking of making myself something very similar, probs around 6'10", exact same outline as my 6'10" nugget but just not as bloody thick (maybe 2 5/8??).

How did this board go?
Was an excellent all round midlength. Because the nose wasn't crazy wide ( 15" ), it turned great. Also went well in bigger and steeper waves and as a thruster it cutback way shorter than 7'10". Caught any wave easily and paddled very well. Should've kept it honestly but I sold it for my first JD. Best decision ever haha.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Today at DY, saw a guy on a hypto krypto blatantly drop in on a guy while in full poo man stance go straight down the face and nose dive on the flats.
I had visions of iggy shaking his head in disgust.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:37 pm

steve shearer wrote:you just completely validated my statement Olds.

the only right volume is the one that enables a surfer to catch waves.

The "right" volume is purely a function of fashion.

People obsessing over a whether a board is twenty nine or thirty litres is ridick.
Sheesh!

The right volume is the volume that enables a surfer to catch waves. I can't see catching waves as being a function of fashion. You're trying to make a point, and probably a good one, but dissing volume as a relevant measure of a board is not one I would try to make.

29 litres to 30 litres is a thimble of a difference.

An under-volume board, for each individual surfer, is going to be under-volume no matter what the shape and length.

It is not the key, but it is one of the main ones, along with length, shape, and bottom contour, and is a hugely influential variable in the hands of any surfer who thinks about what is best for him or her. There are plenty of surfers who don't think too much, so volume is not really relevant to them. They will continue to buy boards that are great for them, and then buy bombs, and not understand why one works for them and the other doesn't.

A surfer can now gain a genuine understanding of how volume affects his or her surfing, and make their own assessments.

I now can say with some certainty what sort of volume I need in my boards. That is now a key factor in the boards I buy.

I already knew what shapes I prefer, and I know the difference that length and plan shape has on my surfing. Longer boards are fun in the same way that shorter boards are fun, and mals aren't fun at all.

Now I know about volume, and it is based in actual measurements, not rough guesses.

Hardly a fashion, and hardly irrelevant.

Now stop arguing with me while agreeing with me.

There are plenty of aspects in surfboard design that are all about fashion, but volume ain't one of them.

And spray and colour make all the difference.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bondihq

Post by bondihq » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 pm

good post oldman (that sounds disrepectful...haha) - agree totally....the volume is the first thing that i look at. Smarter , more articulate , posters will deride me no doubt , but if it aint at or near 30 litres i dont even look at it.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:43 am

bondihq wrote:good post oldman (that sounds disrepectful...haha) - agree totally....the volume is the first thing that i look at. Smarter , more articulate , posters will deride me no doubt , but if it aint at or near 30 litres i dont even look at it.

so if it doesn't have the litres written on it you won't buy it?

fuck how the might have fallen...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Volume helps a lot but its still effected by quite a few things.

The way a board presents itself to the water as it paddles effects how well that volume is put to use. A parallel outline or lower rocker moves through the water much better than curvey rocker or outline. As nick was mentioning, the overall surface area is important too, especially once you're near a wave trying to pick its energy up.

If the shape is less efficient and higher drag (e.g. a typical HPS) then its far more reliant on volume to move through the water well. If the shape is more efficent and lower drag you can get away with less.

I'm 93kg and with modern simmons style boards I can get away with about 32L. If its a more typically shaped curvey board I need upwards of 34L +.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Captain on a 32 litre board where is the waterline up to if you had the board level in the water under you?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

bondihq

Post by bondihq » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:02 pm

el rancho wrote:
bondihq wrote:good post oldman (that sounds disrepectful...haha) - agree totally....the volume is the first thing that i look at. Smarter , more articulate , posters will deride me no doubt , but if it aint at or near 30 litres i dont even look at it.

Wtf does "how the might have fallen" mean ? - i know sweet fuck all about design and rockers and outlines and how it all comes together and to many times in the past i have outlayed dollars on boards only to find out i'm having float problems , the flip side being that i overcompensate and got something with to much volume which means those boards went onto ebay as well.
So yeh , volume info helps dumb fucks like me buy boards that i know i will be able to paddle.

bondihq

Post by bondihq » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:02 pm

el rancho wrote:

Wtf does "how the might have fallen" mean ? - i know sweet fuck all about design and rockers and outlines and how it all comes together and to many times in the past i have outlayed dollars on boards only to find out i'm having float problems , the flip side being that i overcompensate and got something with to much volume which means those boards went onto ebay as well.
So yeh , volume info helps dumb fucks like me buy boards that i know i will be able to paddle.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 pm

I meant any decent surfer should know if a board will work for them by looking at foil, length and rocker, without the need for a volume written on it. like they did before that measurement started being written on boards

bondihq

Post by bondihq » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 pm

el rancho wrote:I meant any decent surfer should know if a board will work for them by looking at foil, length and rocker, without the need for a volume written on it. like they did before that measurement started being written on boards

Fair enough comment ER , your probably right....i can see if a board will work by looking at those things and the under the arm test , i can and have many times before , but having the volume count gives me peace of mind i guess....it definitely has its place....

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 pm

sure, it's just another tool. if it makes you pick a better suited board then go for it