why go so short?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: why go so short?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Big generalisation there. Plenty of people contribute meaningfully to society in small towns.

And there are more people in big cities on the dole, hooked on drugs, crime and everything else surrounding that dark world, than in country towns.

I'd also hazard a guess there's less boredom too, as more families seem to be active in smaller coastal towns. At least from my own experience and circles of friends.

I head back to brisbane where I did some highschool, and the people I know there are overweight, bored and have drinking/ smoking/ gambling problems a mile high. Most of if they say, is born out of boredom.

I find it hard to get bored living on the water. There's always something to do. I cannot keep my kids inside either. I'm actually fighting with them when it's too hot, trying to get them to sit in front of the tele and keep out of the midday sun.

Everywhere in australia, every single place, has a cross section of:
boredom, depression, substance abuse, unemployment, welfare dependence and a general running from any kind of contribution to society is much more tolerated in those kind of places
... it's disingenuous to castigate small coastal towns as leading the way in those departments.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 pm

It's no bigger a generalisation than Steve's comments, that's why I quoted Steve.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Fcuk Beery we're talking Byron/Lennox not fcucking Nowra...... There's more cultural shitt happening here than Sydney these days. These aren't sleepy coastal towns , they're functioning mini-metropolises.
And if all else fails to stimulate they head to wooly's neck of the woods and throw the keys in the hat.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:19 pm

steve shearer wrote: throw the keys in the hat.
Salad Bowl.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:17 pm

viking helmet.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Witches Cauldron.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Who sais you even have to ride the "perfect" board ?

If you just want the single board to surf 95% of the time except for step-up/gun days, I can understand if you want the most rounded board possible.

If not, what about riding the board which at that period in your surfing is giving you the most fun, even if it's not the most rounded board ? In my case I like several boards that all ask you to surf them differently and you have to ride the board for what it is.

The only problem is this starts turning into a quiver of boArds that cater to wave types with a lot of overlap.

Why ride anything really ?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Steve, I thought you were describing Byron.

No one or hardly anyone enjoys the life you describe but the reality of living in Sydney is like one big compromise to survive in a city where if you want children, a house and some security and a car that starts in the morning you need to find a way to make ends meet, I tip my hat to anyone who survives in this death cage with their marriage and minds in tact, its death race 2000.

jamessurfsallday

Post by jamessurfsallday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:13 am

i agree you jump up and find the sweet spot. and the trend for going short is that they purely are so much fun to surf

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:34 am

Mate, admitting surfing is fun here is a bit of a no no. It's all blue steel, chest beating and calling double, overhead waves 2'. And for fkukks sake don't mention daylight savings

May or may not be serious.

jamessurfsallday

Post by jamessurfsallday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:34 pm

haha classic. say no more. :B
this is my new board :-)(
Attachments
NewStick.jpg