Which FCS?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

timbo85
Grommet

Which FCS?

Post by timbo85 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi

Looking for advice on which FCS fins to run on my new board. The board is a JS Evolution 5/11 19.2 2.38.

http://jsindustries.com/surfboards-v2/evolution

Options for both thruster and quad.

Appreciate any helpful comments

Cheers
T x

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Which FCS?

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 pm

What is your question?
Whether to get thruster or quad, or what fins to run?

I would probably ride it as a thruster, no idea what sort of fins.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

If the board is set up for lift and speed than for me, I'd ride it as a quaddy. How big are you?

If you're around (or less) the 80kg mark then try the K2.1s as a quad (or use the K2.1s thruster in the front and G1000s in the back). If this is too loose for your liking then try the M3's in the front and G1000s in the rear.

timbo85
Grommet

Post by timbo85 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Ok cool. I'm 78kg. I have a set of k2.1s already. I will ride it first as a thruster then experiment with the quad option down the track, as I have little experience riding quads. Thanks

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm

If it's a McKee quad fin setup, you won't go back to a thruster!!! :wink:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Riding it as a thruster will allow you to feel the board out well. You can then change it up to a quad to feel the difference and see if you like it. Depends on what you like to get out of a board. Thruster will be more predictable and better for quick direction changes and top to bottom type surfing in my opinion. Quad will probably be a bit faster down the line and hold in a bit better. Depends how you surf and type of waves too. Also depends on how the quad is set up. With the back fins set in closer to the stringer it will surf a bit closer to a thruster anyway. Further out towards the rail and it will feel a but more like a twinny.
As far as type of fins don't get caught up in a lot of the fin company marketing crap. As a thruster any board should work pretty well with a base set of say PC or PG 5's or similar ( K2 1 s will be fine). As a quad you probably need to be a bit more picky about fin combos and try some variations to see what works. Don's suggestion is a good one to start.

timbo85
Grommet

Post by timbo85 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Much obliged fellas. Can't wait to get on it.

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey mate, I'd be interested to see what you think of the Evo, I'm picking one up tomorrow the exact same Dims as yours.

I was planning on riding it as a thruster with the Julian Wilson fins (cross between k2.1 and the pc-5's)

Maybe a quad might go better in the bigger stuff, just adding a bit more hold and drive.

Praying for swell on the goldy atm.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:04 pm

I have seen a post heat interview with Kelly where he said that fin size had more to do with tail width than weight, thats why he uses a 5th fin sometimes.

Obviously a bigger guy will have a wider tail and will benefit from a bigger fin (i.e PC 7 = 85kgs and up). so the indications from the fin manufacturers using weight ranges makes kind of sense.

Have seen a lot of 80kgs or less surfers with smaller boards (sometimes having a wider tail and outline) using PC7, well more specifically using the GAM (Merrick large template blue fins).

Another big clue is that big wave guns 10ft plus have smaller fins compared to rail length and I think it has a lot to do with the narrow to super narrow pin tails they have.

I am 80kgs and have done some testing between PC5 and PC7 (or GAMs) and I really get more drive out of the GAM, mind you this template has got a slightly smaller trailer fin which really helps, best FCS template I have tested in my opinion.

For Quad , the K2.1 does the job as overall I have more fin area anyways.

good luck and go test a few fins

J

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Has anyone tried the fcs origin fins or heard what they're like ?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:32 am

I feel sorry for Powerbase Fins, they obviousy couldn't patent their fin base idea strongly enough to avoid FCS from basically copying the idea. Its basically the same except powerbase still fits in normal FCS plugs.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Capt,
Are the powerbase fins good, I miss the feeling of glassed in fins. I was looking at fcs origin but only 3 types of fins available with just small and medium sizes.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Base refit fins are boring.

Futures is the best system if your main issue is the idea that base strength makes the big difference. It's a fcuken good system anyway.

FCS 2 has more base support and is piss easy to use, click in and go.

I think people who still claim glass on fins are missing out, like what do you really think is happening with fins. If you don't experience a loss of fin edge at Sunset and Teahupoo - and I know I haven't - then do you really think there's some advantage to be gained at 3' snapper or whatever.

If you want to fine tune your board via fins you need a system, so you can switch fin templates, and ideally, positions. Fcs2 and Futures still let us down on this second score.

I suspect pretty much any board will go better if the frontside rail fin is a quarter of an inch further forward than the backside rail fin. Every single board I've been able to do this on has gone way better. But if you're not using Surffinz or a similar box in which you can shift fins up and down, you can't try it.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey Nick thanks for the reply.

A bit to think about there, those surffinz fins are interesting but I might spend more time playing around and tweaking them than surfing.
I really haven't changed the type of fins I use for a while, but I keep busting the fcs plugs through the deck(from compression dings mainly) which is probably due to not enough glass though. I may have the same problem with other systems too, but I thought there were probably better systems to have a look at.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 am

^^ha ha yeah you can waste a lot of time mucking around with fins

Try using a tail pad to protect your board from the plug bust through thing.

The FCS2 doesn't connect with the deck so it's prolly less of an issue in that regard.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Base refit fins are boring.

Futures is the best system if your main issue is the idea that base strength makes the big difference. It's a fcuken good system anyway.

FCS 2 has more base support and is piss easy to use, click in and go.

I think people who still claim glass on fins are missing out, like what do you really think is happening with fins. If you don't experience a loss of fin edge at Sunset and Teahupoo - and I know I haven't - then do you really think there's some advantage to be gained at 3' snapper or whatever.

If you want to fine tune your board via fins you need a system, so you can switch fin templates, and ideally, positions. Fcs2 and Futures still let us down on this second score.

I suspect pretty much any board will go better if the frontside rail fin is a quarter of an inch further forward than the backside rail fin. Every single board I've been able to do this on has gone way better. But if you're not using Surffinz or a similar box in which you can shift fins up and down, you can't try it.

I've got the Surfinz and will try that. Thanks Nick.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm

^^ cool let us know.

you'll feel it more as the waves get a bit bigger, ie 3' and more

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:43 am

Does that mean front side and back side to the wave or the way you surf i.e. goofy or natural?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?