Best comp results

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bilbobaggins

Best comp results

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:22 pm

Tell us your best comp results and who ya sponsors are if any. Honesty please, ain't no chickies gonna be impressed online. :wink:

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:31 pm

never got anything worse than 1st. sponnos-rip curl, billabong, quiksilver, vz, dhd, oakley, reef, globe, boost, creatures, js, electric, spy, etnies, smith, fcs, red bull, coca cola, rusty, webber, dragon, gorilla grip, the united states defence force, mona vale brothel......
fuck that.
nah no sponnos, never even surfed in a comp - i do it 4 da fun, not 2 compete. surfing is sposed 2 relax ppl, how can it relax u wen ya got comps 2 worry bout. thats about it from me

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:07 pm

No sponsors. Once got a board half price. I think I called it semi sponsored or some other delusional wankfest. I bombed out in the only conests I entered (quarters northern beaches schoolboys and regular first round loser in club contests). I soon realised I wasn't gunna make it on the world tour and surfed thereafter for fun.

boz

Post by boz » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 am

done 2 comps. Volcom Comp where i got 11th in 17 and Under category. And the lifesavers only shortboard state titles where i got 3rd(bronzo medal) in the u16's last year

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:13 am

good onya boz

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:50 am

decided to compete in a school surfing comp for Unley High (SA) when I was about 15, mostly just to get the day off school to go surfing. We got absolutely walloped by a surf-crazy Seaford High team in our first heat and then missed the losers round heat coz we were frothing on a better bank down the beach...

Then my sister, who had given all of us little pricks a ride to the beach, got sick of trying to get us to come in and left us stranded without our clothes or any way of getting home! Beeeeaaatch! That was my only foray into the fk'd up world of competitive surfing, it just didn't gel with my casual attitude to life...

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:12 am

one question streetdaddy, was having that little bank 2 urselves worth losing ur clothes and ride home? what would you have rathered.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:22 am

I went to school in the eastern suburbs and lived on the north side. I was a pretty decent surfer. Maybe not the best but I would have thought in the top 10. Anyways, the first school contest is at Bondi. There's a right in the corner and a left, both breaking into a channel. The left is really crowded but virtually no-one is one the right. I surf the right before the contest and I feel I'm surfing well. The wave is slightly full but it's good for bottom turn snap combos. I wait for my heat. No-one surfs the right. I tell the judges I'm surfing the right. I paddle out. And it stops breaking on the rising tide (I didn't know Bondi).

I paddle over to the left with not much time to go. I can't get a wave. Finally I get a sucky left. I drop in. I lay back. I get tubed. I come out, and stand up to do a cutty back to the foam, and see a whole bunch of coloured t-shirts in front of me paddling out. The heat was over. I only caught one wave. It wasn't scored. My reputation is in tatters.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:43 pm

that has gotta hurt...sounds like a good wave too.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:51 pm

_cant_touch_this wrote:one question streetdaddy, was having that little bank 2 urselves worth losing ur clothes and ride home? what would you have rathered.
The ride home, definitely! Had to stay in a steamer for about 3 hours... yuck

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:53 pm

It was. While I was knocked out in the first round, which was a shock, I thought word would get around that while I was knocked out my last wave was smokin'. Nup. No mention of the last wave. And there's no way the guys paddling out could have missed it...I came out of the layback right in front of 'em. The only thing said on the monday was that I got knocked out in the first round and therefore wasn't that good. Petty rivalries eh!

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:06 pm

The ride home, definitely! Had to stay in a steamer for about 3 hours... yuck
yeah id forgotten you had said you were in SA at the time...was that 3 COLD hours in a wettie?
It was. While I was knocked out in the first round, which was a shock, I thought word would get around that while I was knocked out my last wave was smokin'. Nup. No mention of the last wave. And there's no way the guys paddling out could have missed it...I came out of the layback right in front of 'em. The only thing said on the monday was that I got knocked out in the first round and therefore wasn't that good. Petty rivalries eh!
did ANYONE hapen to mention your last wave? if not then u mustv bin soooo pissed off with everyone just thinking u were crap coz u got knocked in the 1st round, and not realising u DID get a wave and tore it up.
if the wave was scored, do u reckon it would have been good enough to get u through to the next round with only one wave to your name?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:44 pm

It's hard to know, because I didn't see anyone else catch waves. But I'd guess the bottom level were failry bad, so yeah. I probably would've scored it an 8. But maybe not. Even still, yeah, you'd think one person would've mentioned it.

Now I think of it one guy did, but no-one realy wanted to listen to him.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:09 pm

unfortunate that is. but, sh*t happens. sorry to hear it

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:35 pm

comps blow.......
im not sponned, but i do get cost price boards, but i think its only cause i bust alot of em and me shaper feels sorry for me! im not sure......

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:37 pm

lol nubby. how many boards do u think ud go thru a year?

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:53 am

3-5 on average and well over 50 all up.........last year i busted 2 at south narra, one at sandon point and one at whale wedge..... at the moment ive only creased one this year so far (fingers crossed), which should go alright after i get it fixed cause its not a heavy crease......

hazrus

Post by hazrus » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:10 pm

1st sydney zone scholastic teams title
5th state scholastic teams title. (both 1998)

....but I was surfing with Ace Buchan :D
He won every heat, I generally came 3rd in every heat, so we won sydney zone!

I am not sponnoed, but get cheap boards. More to do with being mates with the shaper though :D