Longest wait for a board.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Longest wait for a board.

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 am

I've waited ages before, but its always been a good craftsman making the board so it hasn't bothered me at all.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

10 weeks seems like a long time.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 pm

12 weeks once..same shaper 3 weeks once.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue May 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I'm not sure about the longest wait, but I may be a contender for the longest stuffing around whilst ordering.

I started organising a board from JD nearly 2 years ago. I'm still stuffing him around.
LOL...

But I've taken longer over my own personal boards. There's my Rhino-chaser, the three-surfs-a-year number, which has had, like 25 whole outings...and wants replacement, someday...

The self-deprivation that puts customer orders in front of my own indulgence goes hand in hand with my huuuge profits! :roll: :roll:

JD

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 pm

12 weeks and only because i demanded my deposit back and started to raise my voice in front of other customers in the shop...turned up next day

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Had to wait 3 months for a Hot Stuff custom back in about 79. I had asked for a spray job of a golliwog eating magic mushrooms in a field on the bottom of the board. Was told the spray guy had damaged his eyes and couldn't do it till his sight came good. Was worth the wait.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 pm

The way to get your customs done quick quick - offer your shaper a berth on your Indo boat, all expenses paid.

If he's like me, there'll be dire need for a brand spanking new quiver of pintails. Your board or boards for the trip will then get made side-by-side with his.

JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I think the most annoying thing is the lack of honesty or clarity. If I'm told 2 months cool, no probs, it's when you're told 2 weeks, then 4 weeks later you have to go to the shop and make a nuisance of yourself so they get rid of you when you get the shits.

I ordered a small square tail longboard, 8' that'd fit in my hatch back. "2 weeks". 4 weeks later i picked it up. Round tail 7'10"!. It was a bloody good board though, so worked out alright in the end. Never went back though

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri May 24, 2013 7:38 pm

I recently ordered a board - was told four weeks. At six weeks i made the call and heard nothing. Took me another week or so to finally get the guy and he tells me he was having trouble organising glassing and courier :-?
What sucks is this is not the first time i've been burned by shapers through lack of communication. I try not to burn bridges, but i took out the flamethrower on that prick.

Sometimes makes a an 'off the rack' purchase an easy option.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat May 25, 2013 2:08 pm

as of right now I am still waiting for a board I ordered two years ago from a certain person who shall remain nameless

I would remind them for the first six months, then after a year I changed the order to a totally different board, a bit more of an experiment, just to sorta nudge the process along a bit. Six months later I changed it AGAIN. That was six months ago.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Legion wrote:You listening Roy? Time to deliver, Nick's been waiting long enough.
It has to come by ship. Too big for the plane.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:as of right now I am still waiting for a board I ordered two years ago from a certain person who shall remain nameless

I would remind them for the first six months, then after a year I changed the order to a totally different board, a bit more of an experiment, just to sorta nudge the process along a bit. Six months later I changed it AGAIN. That was six months ago.
Come on Nick.
If you keep changing your mind, what's a guy to do? :D
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 pm

C'mon guys its the surf industry, what do you expect.....customer service or to get your sh!t on time ?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Natho wrote:C'mon guys its the surf industry, what do you expect.....customer service or to get your sh!t on time ?
It is possible, I ordered a custom hypto from hayden shapes which took 13 days to arrive at my door.....in perfect condition and the exact dimensions that i had ordered.

Dont get me started on shapers who disregard requested dimensions coz they know better, arrogant feckers :evil:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 pm

That was something pretty smart that Hayden did to generate cash flow. Get the punter to pay upfront and then guarantee a shorter turnaround. His ghost shapers can have a board pumped out pretty quick while he is on the other side of the world in USA, and then it's the glassing that takes a bit more time. The whole operation is run fairly tight, under the one roof I think from machine to glassing.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Oh and don't think that the dimensions written on the board are always the exact actual dimensions either. Measure up your boards and you may be very surprised.