Ability level?
What type of waves are you surfing?

Waiting for surf thought it would be fun Topic
:D:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: What's your go to board right now?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Waiting for surf, my heart is breaking for poor junk male.

Seeing as how today was the fourth day of 8' plus surf in Sydney in the past week.

I dunno really re the q, got a lot of boards and tend to be guided by what I feel like riding whatever the conditions say.

But in normal 2-5' surf a couple of MC 5'9" deep concave round pins, a 5'10" vers with a slightly straighter bottom, or a 5'11" Webber round pin, also v deep concave. All three fins though I do have a new 5'9" MC quad that I haven't yet surfed.

Mostly in beachies and rock reef surf, I don't really feel any hang ups with these boards, hang ups usually have more to do with my mental or physical state, though I am a v high skilled surfer with a lot of water time I can still find myself vaguing out or not being in the moment etc, and I suspect most surfers mistake their own lack of skills or concentration for equipment error. Where today I just don't think there's any need to ride a bad board, there's so many good ones around.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 pm

I have more than a few boards atm but my go to board is a 6'6" Pu widow maker when I'm unsure, rounded pin, thick & with a beak...hoping to replace this with a JD EPS soon....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 pm

My go to board was often something like 5'11 x 18 3/8 x 2 1/4. Single to double between the fins. Squash tail. Thruster. PU. Low to medium rocker. No BS, just nice and clean without too much of anything.

For the past 6 months (excluding the recent bigger swells) my most ridden board in Sydney has been 5'8 x 18 1/2ish x 2 3/16. Single to double between the fins. Lower rocker. Round Tail. More width up front than normal. Thruster. EPS/ Epoxy. Fine rails to compensate. Designed for small Sydney beachies but seems to offer a wider scope due to the round tail and finer rails = it holds well in steeper waves and you can push it suprisingly hard without it skipping out. It's been a real suprise coz I borrowed the board not thinking I would like it and I've kept it. It opend my mind up a bit. To the fact that I could go a bit less foam and a little more width up front.

Currently got boards from Bradley, Pete Daniel, Nick Blair and Hayden. Most boards are ridden frequently.

The Bradley is a newey. 5'11 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 squash. I dunno but after riding slightly more refined, thinner boards lately the Bradley just feels sluggish with a lack of response. Like its got too much foam. As an example there just seems to be a slight delay in getting it over on rail. Suprising because its got a good double to V out the back. Ive only ridden it a couple of times so possibly I just need to give it a good go. Its probably just me.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 am

5'3 x 18 1/2 x 2 3/8 tomo style board is my most ridden in 2-5ft and always gets packed in the car.
5'4 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 groveller for under 2 ft

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Santa bought me a Haydenshapes 5'8" x 20' x 2 1/2" Hypto Krypto for Xmas, been loving it!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm

fongss wrote:6'8....19...2 1/2 cork top squash tail....bit fat in the tail :lol:
You or the board, fang?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Whatever board I think will suit what I think the conditions will be.
Given I live an hour from the coast, I don't always get it right, but my hit rate is improving.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Although my boards change a bit, there's a few things I've worked out about my go to.

I like roundtails. Fairly deep single into a medium double concave through the back foot. A flat deck into a medium rail. And three fins. Anything from 5'10" to 6'2" and 30-33 litres will do.

Now that I've gotten use to foam and throwing my weight into turns ... I could never go back to the 26-27 litre boards I rode for the last 15 years before my move to Alice springs.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

To me the whole "I will choose a different board depending on conditions" thing can be a real mind f#ck.

Where I live (Sydney), its not hard to get one single board that will do you for 90% of conditions. There is no real need for a whole quiver of boards, unless of coarse you are a board slut like me.
A good small wave performance type board will work in any conditions between say 2-4 foot. That is about the size we get 90% of the time here in Sydney. Chuck say a round tail on it and it will be even more versatile.
I think Nick is right when he points out that more times it is the rider rather than the board. People also seem to think changing fins is going to make them surf better in some cases.

All this said I myself have more than one small wave board as an example, however it is certainly far from necessary.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Same board I've had for the last 5 years. 7' Grant Miller V-Skate

Goes perfect in pretty much most spots where I live and suits my ability really well. I've considered getting a more high-performance board but I don't surf enough (once a week) to really justify the expense because I don't reckon I'd get anywhere near to unlocking its potential

Also got a 8'6" Single fin long board shaped by Grant. It's designed to catch slow spilling reef-break waves so it has a super-flat rocker and soft rails for drawing smooth turns. Has that nice fast and loose cruising feel about it too.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

When the waves are small and uninteresting I use my krypt surfmat or semi-finess for lots of laughs and smiles. The surfmat is seriously fun as long as there is a wave to catch if you get my drift, so thats been getting lots of runs over summer.

An average day of Sydney surf to a bit overhead is a 5'8" modernised swallow tail quad semi-fish, wide tailed and super fast.

As soon as the waves have some grunt its a roundtail McKee quad 6'0" HPS.

When its unsually big in Sydney I don't have a board that suits, no step-up in the quiver yet unfortunately. 6'0" is the biggest I have and is a biatch to paddle into big thick groundswell because I'm 5'11" and 88kg.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Pretty sure your black beauty is a 6'9" Iggs. That is if you got it off the rack, and not a custom.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 pm

I love the BB's foam. When it's big and sweepy being able to paddle right through it is joy.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

iggy wrote: Its a real back to basics meat and three veg formula.
Speaking of which, what the current weight at?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

I have gone back to the MR twin. 6'6 1980 shape. I get more waves and have more fun. I think my teenage surfing has hard wired me to these boards. Can't wait to get it out at Sultans.
Erase.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Currently surfing a 5'9 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 PCC stuey diver (33.5 L volume). Big wide, thick square tail. Thruster. Keep meaning to try it with MRTFX fins in it, but never get around to it.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/search. ... sf=msgonly

I'm 5'10. Bought it when i was 83kg, now i'm 78kg. Paddles really well, especially now I've lost muscle mass after my back surgery.
Goes really well in sloppy beach breaks. I have trouble handling the volume when the waves have a bit more push in them. Mostly due to lack of skill.

Might try a Miller F-skate or Rabbidge Micro for my next board.
Found a Micro 5'11 x 20 x 2 3/8 in a shop near my house for $550 new (been on the rack for about 2 years +). But knowing how well Grants constructs his boards, it's hard to look past them.

These look the goods for every day sydney surf.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=17927
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Not exactly my go-to board, given I live in Qld, but I picked up a board for the bigger stuff this morning.

Almost exactly the same dimensions as the one OddaP is selling.
6'8"x18.5"x2 3/8", shaped by Feral Dave, which meant I knew what the volume was (about 29L), which is a little less than my current 'step-up', despite it being about 4 inches longer.

Couple of rock dings on the bottom patched effectively but not prettily. Price was appropriately adjusted.
The rest is just dodgy wax I haven't cleaned off yet.

The lawn is getting replaced next weekend.