Re: What's your go to board right now?

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Here's mine:

ImageImage

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

sandfly wrote:Santa bought me a Haydenshapes 5'8" x 20' x 2 1/2" Hypto Krypto for Xmas, been loving it!
Hey Sandfly, you managing to get this thing surfing in the pocket and getting the nose thrown around a little with that seedy shape, I have been tossing up getting one of these but not sure how much of an d all rounder it is. Any feedback appreciated.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Interesting comments Davros. Those HS designs seem reasonably popular around my way (Hypto, Germ and Shred Sled). People seem to be having heaps of fun on them but I have noticed most the time people are surfing them out flat on the face rather than in the pocket. That said I’m not sure these boards are designed specifically to surf in pockety, good waves? I watched a guy surfing one of these boards at the weekend reasonably well in good, slightly bigger waves. The thing is though it was like the speed and flatness kept him ahead of the best part of the wave, and he was having to surf it pretty flat. He was still surfing it pretty well, but certainly not in the pocket as such.

I first thought these boards were a bit of a gimmick, targeted at the yeeew, frothing, siiick brigade however after seeing them ridden and trying a Shred Sled myself I think they have their place as an extension to a normal HPS quiver. They seem pretty user friendly to ride too and Hayden is experienced enough to add performance to a user friendly template at the same time.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Natho wrote:People seem to be having heaps of fun on them but I have noticed most the time people are surfing them out flat on the face rather than in the pocket.
What your opinion of what causes this Natho? The lack of rocker making it harder to fit into the rounder sections, or the straighter outline? Or both?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Hey Davros
I may be one of those guys Nath is referring to as Mona vale is my home break.

I have only had the hypto out in small waves so far and would agree to a cerain extent on Nath's summary that it does like to get out on the face, but is a whole lot of fun and paddles like amazingly.

I have also had a shred sled for a few years and love this board. I have surfed it in everything from Sydney beachies to 8' Samoan barrels and a lot of stuff up and down the coast in between. This board definitely surfs in the pocket for me.

I would only class myself of average ability so Nath may be able to offer a more critical appraisal of these two boards abilities for someone surfing at a hogher level than me.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks Sandfly and thanks for the observations Natho, as you say with that nose would be a dream paddler and fast down the line.....yeah I did think the Shread Sled was a bit more of the ticket as a good all rounder. Hmm food for thought.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Yeh the guy at the weekend was on a Hypto out at Narra. Im pretty sure the Shred Sled would be a bit better in the pocket. The one I tested was a bit too short for me.

Yeh captain it is the flat rocker, straighter outline and width all combined, though from memory the outlines are not all that straight?

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:04 pm

6'3" x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2 PU Thruster with single to double concave and G-AM PC fins from Dave wood.
I'm 6'3" tall, 90 kilos(which probably doesn't help my fcs fin plug problems huh Nick) and 32 years old.
The board goes really good except for times like these when it's barely a 1ft and I'm stuck scavenging in the shorebreak at curly.
I have tried shorter fatter boards but tend to surf out of the pocket as natho said.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Primitive 'Machete' - 5'8 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/8 - wider plan shape in the front half of the board, lower entry rocker but more typical HPSB design in the back half of the board. Riding it as a quad (with FCS II system).
Excels in punchy beach breaks or reef breaks.
Tends to struggle waves lacking push.
I'm 5'5 x 63kgs
Intermediate level.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm

tonka79 wrote:Primitive 'Machete' - 5'8 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/8 - wider plan shape in the front half of the board, lower entry rocker but more typical HPSB design in the back half of the board. Riding it as a quad (with FCS II system).
I'm 5'5 x 63kgs
Intermediate level.
You buy it off Craig, tonks?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Past few weeks it's been:

5'8 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/16 round tail
Medium single to double with light V off tail.
EPS/ Epoxy construction with finer rails to compensate.
Bit of extra foam hidden in the right places while keeping the overall feel very refined. Lower rocker through the guts with a medium lift behind the front fins.
5 plugs thrown in for fun but so far have only ridden it as a thruster coz it goes so good as is.

About 23.5 litres but surfs more like 25.5 litres due to the EPS construction. Hence why the rails were shaped finer and the overall thickness had an extra bees dick of foam removed.

Board just seems to go unreal in a wide variety of conditions ( except when rather bumpy due to the construction). The round tail allows it to hold in and control in good waves or when it gets a little more punchy. The flatter mid rocker and slight extra nose area allows the board to still perform in flatter weaker waves. Just a nice all rounder that is super responsive and a very fine tuned machine. Would probably be too light when the swell really picks up though.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:44 am

Trev wrote:
tonka79 wrote:Primitive 'Machete' - 5'8 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/8 - wider plan shape in the front half of the board, lower entry rocker but more typical HPSB design in the back half of the board. Riding it as a quad (with FCS II system).
I'm 5'5 x 63kgs
Intermediate level.
You buy it off Craig, tonks?
Yeh, sure did. Forgot to mention it's a roundtail with xtr blank.

EDIT: include photo
Attachments
IMAG0364.jpg
Last edited by tonka79 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:39 am

Psillakis 5'8 Diamond. Great board.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:05 pm

5'10" x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2. 30.8 ltrs

Moon Kirra Stub. They reckon 1-foot onshore beachies to pumping Kirra, this is your guy. I'm 5'11" and 82kgs ... I do love me some foam.

I was looking at hypto's, DHD black dimonds, aloha mushrooms ... ended up going with a board made for where I surf; punchy/ sucky beachies and the point.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:58 am

Sweet looking board,. demo'd the Hypto, bit corky for me I'm a 105 kilos and it felt like an riding an esky. That board has a great flowing look to it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah I can't wait to surf it. Meant to be good in the pocket and out on the face for around here.

It was originally made for the guy in the pic, this was his first surf on it. He's 95kgs and it was too small for him.

His loss, as they say, is my gain.

Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:08 am

a lot of small beachies around here this time of year, so riding this nearly every surf lately-
http://www.moresurfboards.com/the_Dung_Beetle.html

Sushi Surfer

Post by Sushi Surfer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Just bought a Lost Round Nose fish. It is really fast and perfect for my size. Im totally loving it

I am 70kg on a 6"1 RNF which has 36L of volume