The Tomo rip-off ride report

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: The Tomo rip-off ride report

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Sounds about right. A good question too - how many litres of volume do you usually ride in your HPSB? Have a look at the volumes of the different firewire vanguards on the website to cross reference.

What sort of waves are we talking about too? Are you going to use it for small waves or as a replacement to your HPSB for good waves?

Its definitely very small to get your head around but if you imagine drawing an extra pointed nose and extra pulled in tail, you'll notice even a 5'9" vanguard will end up a much longer board. The straight rail of a longer board is still there with all the extra hold in the face, you just need to get used to the less nose in front on takeoffs.

In some respects the narrowness recommended for the vanguard style boards helps quite a bit to have a heel and toe under each end of the deepish concave so you don't feel like you're swimming between turns.

The downside of getting it too big is that it'll have a lot of straight rail line to contend with which will prefer straighter lines. Part of how such a straight rail works so well is when you chop the length down and have a typical rocker curve theres a very short abrupt curve in the tail rocker which brings back a tight turning circle.

Then again, get a different shapers own version of the theory and you're looking at different recommendations again, i.e. if we're talking about a JD I'm sure Josh will have all sorts of ideas about how to utilise flex and lower volume due to the superior buoyancy of the foam he uses etc.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Sounds about right. A good question too - how many litres of volume do you usually ride in your HPSB? Have a look at the volumes of the different firewire vanguards on the website to cross reference.

What sort of waves are we talking about too? Are you going to use it for small waves or as a replacement to your HPSB for good waves?
It's thereabouts , volume calc would have me slightly narrower but at the same time thicker. The volumes would both come in about a litre over what my
HPSB is , but you mentioned previously that you can reduce volume 1-2 litres in these and have them still comparable to a greater volume. ??

My HPSB doesn't get a start until it's 3ft or above, 6"4 is too much board for smaller waves unless it's a longer running bank.
I'd want this shape to have a little lower range, say thigh/waist high waves on a shallow bank, and still be able to handle up to 4ft or so.
It doesn't have to go good in weak or fatter conditions.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm

I guess all I'm really trying to make sure of is I get the dims just right , as something so far removed from HPSB and somewhat unknown
could easily turn into a "dog" of a board if made too long or wide given the unique design principles.

Probably just safe going with Tomo's suggestions and just decide on whether its a NANO type round nose
or few inches shorter wackier shape VANGUARD type thing .

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm

DV8 wrote:I guess all I'm really trying to make sure of is I get the dims just right , as something so far removed from HPSB and somewhat unknown
could easily turn into a "dog" of a board if made too long or wide given the unique design principles.

Probably just safe going with Tomo's suggestions and just decide on whether its a NANO type round nose
or few inches shorter wackier shape VANGUARD type thing .

I don't think you can do better than dims from DT. Regarding the shape I'd say go with the shorter wackier shape. Why get something mainstream? The feel is pretty different though so you have to give it a couple of sessions to adapt.