Backhand bottom turn

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Backhand bottom turn

Post by channels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:27 pm

So I'm in a rut...I have lost projection from my backhand bottom turn and struggling to get it back! If I take a highline on my backhand I'm fine but as soon as I drop to the bottom of the face, I'm stalling and pivoting and getting caught by the whitewater instead of projecting back up and the face and along.

It's like I have forgotten how to do them...tips to get the groove back?

Deesee
barnacle

Re: Backhand bottom turn

Post by Deesee » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Go to a skate park and practice pumping up banks or up rolled lip transitions (not with coping). You notice you hop and scoop a little... When you bottom turn backhand on your surf board, use the same technique.. you get speed if you go into it with bent knees.. Also look ahead to the top of the lip, not down or to the shoulder..

Carving a skety (not kick turning), around a bowl teaches you heaps about generating speed on transition and flat and you can transpose that into the surf.. Longboarding down hills and on footpath won't teach you as well.

What area do you live in, there could be some good bowls around you..

I'm skating Bondi later today or tomorrow..
If it feels good, do it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

If you can't see the wave breaking down the line on your backhand, your stance/ posture is all whack.

Plant your front foot so it's parallel with the stringer, and open up your shoulders. You first body movement should be a left shoulder rotation (provided your natural foot) back into the area of the lip. Open your hips up and hit the lip/ wave face like you mean it. I think your natural body torque takes you up and brings you down where you want/ need to be. Nick will do a better job of explaining this if he stumbles into this thread.

It doesn't work for all, but I like being up near the ball of my back foot. I know mates who've tried it, reckon the board gets more skittish under foot. But for me, it's gold.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:30 am

So the first left I catch this morning I look down and my front foot was square on to the stringer. Next left I make a conscious effort to get that foot facing forward and as close to parallel as I can get and bang, the projection up the face and down the line is back! Something so simple causing me so much grief....

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Gold!

Glad it helped
Kunji wrote:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 pm

clay wrote:So the first left I catch this morning I look down and my front foot was square on to the stringer. Next left I make a conscious effort to get that foot facing forward and as close to parallel as I can get and bang, the projection up the face and down the line is back! Something so simple causing me so much grief....
There you go, all it took was the threat of spending time with deesee and your all good again.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:32 pm

*tips hat*

Well played.
Kunji wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:07 pm

TMC wrote:
clay wrote:So the first left I catch this morning I look down and my front foot was square on to the stringer. Next left I make a conscious effort to get that foot facing forward and as close to parallel as I can get and bang, the projection up the face and down the line is back! Something so simple causing me so much grief....
There you go, all it took was the threat of spending time with deesee and your all good again.
I had visions of going skating in Bondi and then waking up two days later tied up in a basement somewhere in the eastern suburbs with a ball gag on...if that isn't a big enough incentive to correct front foot placement I don't know what is.