post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Thud
Owl status

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Thud » Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Impulsive purchase. 6'2 DHD 3DX, EPS construction. Easy to ride, sort of fun. Very light board but not chatty on a raffled surface. Good Sydney board for waves 1-3/4ft for a range of surfers.
“Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.”

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:34 pm

pinhead wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 pm
Wasn't sure whether I should post these pics due to the bitterness and envy they would cause.

Josh Dowling. PU/PE 5'7" x 18 3/4" x 2.4" 29 litres asymmetrical. (He does the odd PU/PE for people if they want something interesting made) Josh did a raised deck in the tail - like an arch bar. So the tail rail is like thin like a HPSB but with more foam under your back foot. Feels great and the board comes off the bottom like a rocket. Still feeling it out and fooling around with fins. Will post update later after more waves.

Ok had a very underwhelming session in weak small waves, decided the toe side fin was too big and the quad rear was too far back. Put in smaller toe side fin and rear quad and moved both forward about 5 mm.

Today - decent clean 3-4 reef waves with a bit of curl. Much better. Realised I'd been surfing it with my back foot too far back, adjusted and now surfs as advertised, tons of speed off the toe side in bottom turns and when pumping across sectioning walls. Really easy to do hacks and carves with plenty of speed carried through. This is a good wave board for sure. Can't wait to get it in good waves again.
Thud wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:27 pm
I remember a pile of mulch we had once

Thud
Owl status

Post by Thud » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Where the f&ck is that Shiva review. I'm looking at a 6'4 and I gots to know how it bottom turns and how fast it is into waves. I CANNOT handle boards that are too slow!!

tootr
Snowy McAllister

Post by tootr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Here we are thuddo.
Mine is 6.9 by 21 odd by 3 odd. Exact dimensions have been sprayed over with the battleship grey. It’s not the roundtail, nor finbox version. No idea on litres.
Single concave all the way to sharp vee in the tail, but not the MC mega concave. Maybe 1/4 to 3/8” concave. Hard edges all the way. Big curve in the back end outline and in the tail rocker.
I’m not a nimble nor tricky nor light footed surfer but I can still give turns some grunt. It’s seems pretty user friendly if you’re a decent intermediate. The board is happy to flow with it but you can give it some herbs as well. And yeah, it’s quick.

Would I buy another one?

Yes.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

Thud
Owl status

Post by Thud » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Awesome. Thanks Toots. This helps.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 pm

Last edited by Legion on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thud
Owl status

Post by Thud » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Been riding a mates CI Fred Rubble. What an awesome board. It really is. Easy paddler, nice planing into waves, not squirrelly at all, takes a drop but the turns are really smooth. Nicest bottom turning I've done for ages (which isn't saying much). But the backhand is soooo nice after riding short stumpy small wave flat rockets. First time in ages I can't wait to jump back on a board. Just read up on it, model came out 8 years ago for Connor Coffin and I think Kelly rode it as well.

If the Fred Rubble is a 10/10 then the DHD 3DX is a 3/10. No comparison in my opinion.