mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 pm

:roll: topic :arrow:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6'6, 6'4, 6

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fwiw i think tiger makes the best boards on the coast...i've rode one, it ripped
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
Trev wrote:
Lard Lad wrote:with respect trevor, the legality of the point has absolutely nothing to do with nicholas' concurrence to it being there or not. the reason for legislation such as that quoted is for a level playing field which i dont believe the other shapers here get, case in point being tiger probably 7 years ago being unwilling to spruik his wares without deference to approval from the Don, a gentleman is the tiger (never met him, likely never will), a level playing field for all should suffice, and I'm a Liberal voter!!!! the point you reference would be a clincher for mine, there's a lot MORE garbage spruiked that could easily be buried...... as you were, I'll call back in a few weeks.....
Agree about Tiger.
I've met him and surfed with him.
Regarding the way Don did it back then, times have changed. I have hopefully made it clear I'm happy for regular Realsurf contributors to spruik their wares.
Even one of Tiger's mates, Cuttlefish has been talking up his board bags (as has crustt). I have no problem with that. Hopefully common sense has prevailed in the last 7 years.
I've deleted all my posts I could find that I've made regarding them.
Why?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 am

This is about as non retro as i go, and it isn't even finished yet!. 6'2'', less than 13'' in the nose ( oh my god! ), less than 20" in the middle ( What?!! ), less than 15" in the tail ( am i insane? ). I've since added a little more curve behind where the side fins will go, as it looked a little too straight through the tail. More of a squash now. This will hopefully be a non shortboarders introduction to a shortboard, with a thruster setup. Marko EPS. To balance it out, i've ordered a twin keel fish from JD, so i can keep my beard, dreads and my 100% recycled hemp sloppy joe for a bit longer haha.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 am

my modern shortboard for smaller waves.

the red spray one. yellow for chunkier waves
Attachments
modern shortboard.jpg

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 am

Trev wrote: I have hopefully made it clear I'm happy for regular Realsurf contributors to spruik their wares.
perhaps some clarification of what constitutes "regular", "spruik" and "wares" might be in order.

:mrgreen:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 am

... but on topic... the only "modern day" shape I have is a 6'0" Simon Anderson DK quad... so my street cred's kinda dead in the water anyway.

:oops:

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 pm

L - R

6'1" Warner (Brett was off form when he shaped this one. Never quite got it to work for me.)
6' Al Merrick - great board but I need more form to ride this one.
6' Al Merrick T. Knox. My everyday board. More conservative than the one above.
5'10" McCoy All Rounder. Loved it when I first got it but haven't been on it for a while.

Given that I don't get out much at the moment, because of two kids under 5, I tend to stick the T. Knox. I need more form to switch around.
Attachments
Optimized-P1000668_2.JPG

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I've, literally in the last fortnight, culled my quiver from 6 boards down to 3. Technically I still own a 5'11" neckbeard which I have on consignment. I traded/ swapped 3 boards for this baby:

6'2" x 20 x 2 1/2 Epoxy dynaocore. Weighs less than my old 5'11" Merrick Neckbeard which was a 4(top) x 4(bottom) glass job. Had it out in heaving 4-5 foot and little knee high shoreys ... Goes great in both. I've had it in some fairly heavy situations and all its managed to score has been 4 deck depressions. Last week alone, I swear I snapped it, and not even a blemish.

I've been looking for a one board quiver for eons. Might finally have it for 1-6 foot.

When it gets over 6 foot:

7'2" x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 MSG. This pic is copy of mine I bought off the rack in 2006 and about 6 months later tore my achilles. Haven't ridden it in a while and it's sitting at a mates place. But after the best part of 4 years outta the water with 2 big injuries and moving away from the ocean, the body is healed and my fitness is coming back. Hopefully won't be long 'til I dust it off.

5'11 x 19 11/16 x 2 1/2 MR twinnie shaped by the man himself. She's getting on now, and I'm a bit scared to ride it, as it's a bit of a collectors item, imo ... But, if it's under 2 foot, I'm pretty confident I won't ding or depress the deck. Fingers crossed. If anyone calls this retro junk, I'll have words with them. I reckon it outperforms any modern HPS – in sub 2 foot waves – on the planet.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:25 pm

braithy, you were bangin on how good the neckbeard was not very long ago....what happened?
and what happened to the dumpling u just wouldnt shut up about as being your go to board for under 4ft :shock: :arrow: >><<

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm

excuse thyself sunshine there shall be no MORE discussion regarding your point, consider yourself 'moderated'....... can i've a gig please trevor?

Lard Lad
regular

Post by Lard Lad » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Dissention in the proletariat is entirely inexcusable, can i get an amen please shearer???

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:47 pm

reginald wrote:I honestly think 3 boards is the absolute most anyone needs on the east coast.
I was going to ask a similar question. As a question from my totally uniformed, novice point of view Nick - when turning up to your average beachie, how do you choose from a quiver of 5 boards when at least a few of them seem to overlap?

fwiw - my quiver is a 6'2" egg for when its crap (yes, a retro! But in my defence, I had it out at a knee high Broulee with at least 15 longboarders this morning, and caught plenty of waves. No modern HPS I know of would realkly have worked), and a 6'2" Firewire Dominator for when it is 'good' (and yes, I am a gumby).

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Which ever one matches best to the color of the boardies your wearing?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 pm

dUg wrote:
Trev wrote: I have hopefully made it clear I'm happy for regular Realsurf contributors to spruik their wares.
perhaps some clarification of what constitutes "regular", "spruik" and "wares" might be in order.

:mrgreen:
A bit vague I know.
I pretty much take each on its merits. I'm sure if I sat down and nutted out a set of guidelines, there'd be people who'd immediately set about circumventing them then bitch about it when I overruled them.
So I don't. But if someone complains then I'd maybe look at it a bit more.
However, gnerally if the poster is a regular contributor to these forums (with stuff that tends to offset any "free plugs" then I'm OK with it.
So people like Josh, Mark, Huie, Tiger (who's ressureected his "Elixir" brand in recent times, kayu, Roy, Skipper (when he set out to do some board repairs), and R-V (who keeps a pretty low profile, so I'm not even sure what it is he does but I'm sure his target market does) and a few others are cool to "spruik" (advise of deals etc) their "wares" (surf related products).
In addition it's great to see surfm8 run a little ad over to the right. They also make regular "Realsurf Only" offers in the "Check MY Website" section.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am

brendo wrote:braithy, you were bangin on how good the neckbeard was not very long ago....what happened?
and what happened to the dumpling u just wouldnt shut up about as being your go to board for under 4ft :shock: :arrow: >><<
Yeah great boards, it's got nothing to do with how they perform. I'd have loved to keep them longer.

The neckbeard is Ultra light glass, 4 top & 4 bottom. Came off a backside floater and put my heel through the glass at the stringer. I could've surfed it 'til it was worth nothing, or trade it while it still holds value. As is, someone will buy it for $500-550.

Married and two kids ... I can't afford to get a new board every 3-4 months like when I was single. I have to trade and move them while they still got value. The only exception to that is the MR twin.

I creased my two step-up boards late Jan/ early feb ... So I had 3 boards all made for sub 2-3 foot surf. Didn't make sense to keep 3 boards and watch nearly two weeks of 4-5 foot swell from the beach.

That's why I bit the bullet forked out nearly a grand and tried the dynocore ... it's as light as a pro's performance board and performs just the same, but she feels bulletproof. Amazing technology. Plus down the track when I really don't want to surf the Twin anymore, maybe I'll get a neckbeard made in dynocore ... computer shapes, moving with the times and all that.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:17 am

Nick Carroll wrote: From right to left:

Why did you go right to left instead of left to right?

I found that confusing.

Also, you're looking a bit thin : not doing a gautama on us?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am

From left to right

6'0" Quadfather shaped by Pridmore. Handfoiled fibreglass fins by Phil Way with some extra tip flex. K2.1 fronts and GX rears.

5'9" Dimple bottom twinzer shaped by Pridmore. Handfoiled fins by Phil Way. Just rode this at the board test day and was pretty blown away by the speed from a first pump. Always hated twinnies with a passion but I reckon there might be something to be gained from having a second look in the twinzer format.

5'10" Octafish. Shaped by Luke Short under licence to the Campbell Bros. When you get the feeling to ride a bonzer then it's hard to resist. This comes once or twice a year, precipitated by a run of perfect small pointsurf out of school holiday season, usually between the months of March and July when the mid morning sun makes a diamond field on clean runners.
I'd foil this board a bit more if I got another one but seeing as it was a present from the wife I accept it for what it is and enjoy the feeling.

5'4"mullet-dumpling with Phil Way butterfly fins (via Webber) and fifth nubster fin. Super fun in the sun in micro windswell. I'd take it as a one board quiver for the english channel (Boscombe pier).

6'3" QF shaped by Pridmore. TC Aqualines with extra cant and small single-foiled rears. Anyting up to DOH or beyond if clean.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes