Single Fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Single Fins

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:48 pm

sequence from sandon point from a few months back in a soupy head and a half high.
not even sure what this is called? :lol:. perhaps "slicing a trim adjustment off the fall line"?
either way, it's about as much "performance" as i'd have hoped to squeeze of the old girl (and myself) in those conditions.
as at 6'11 x 3 inches thick, it's only just starting to come to life.

Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 am

Well if that 'overflowing bucket of bait' didn't bring Andy out of hiding, then nothing will.

Great article on single fins. Interview of Dave Parmenter.

https://pilgrimsurfsupply.com/dave-parmenter/
Sniff wrote:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Great article on single fins. Interview of Dave Parmenter.

https://pilgrimsurfsupply.com/dave-parmenter/
That has some great quotes in it

Today’s ultra-refined and streamlined shortboards have to be surfed with one and only one kinetic ‘style’ or they will not go, and so all too often on that equipment it feels like it is someone else surfing, as if you are just shadowboxing along with the images you are hypnotized into mimicking. On a properly designed single fin the difference is that it feels like YOU are surfing.

The first time I surfed Jeffreys Bay I was just appalled and frustrated with my surfing. I had been picturing in my mind surfing like Terry Fitzgerald, Peers Pittard, Jonathan Paarman, Reno Abellira and Bobby Owens. Wanting to draw their 70’s lines – but on Thrusters you can’t really do that, which you see today in spades. They’re not really doing justice to the wave. Sure, it’s clever surfing but they’re not making the wave look like Jeffreys Bay. They might as well be surfing a beach break, but just longer

MM: You were integral in the development of the SUP, any thoughts on the current state?

DP: It started as a Polynesian thing, Makaha iOS and self-policing on where and when you did it. For me the attraction was solely about getting away from surfing a conventional surf spot. …But after a few years of being a craze it just got away from us and became something else. The dorks commandeered it. It was the same with the leash, same with the modern longboard – where misuse of a tool inflicts yet another plague on the beleaguered surfing population.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Great mention re: Jbay. Same could be said for bells beach. Bells seems just made for single fin surfing. I took that old girl out at bells a few months back in a building five foot plus swell . Clean walled up lines running like crazy down the line. A single feels hand in glove out there.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Early entry, line drive, the ability to run a prolonged straight line either high or low.
Resistance. Trim.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Parmenter is value and I thank him for my NPJr 2+1's as they are a copy from his Widow Maker.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Not to distract to much from single fin, but Curren at J Bay on a McKee quad step up has to be one of the best surfing features or all time. A fav. no airs, no carry on, don't even think the board gets above the lip..give me this any day than the best pro on a 6'2 tri fin (I like that to..but this is better).

Go tom.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ri5urWCwWM

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:41 pm

The aspect I enjoy most about singles is how neutral they are. It's a very distilled and clean feeling.

I also dig how unforgiving they are. Like there's no quick/jagged rail to rail adjustments (corrections) thereby forcing you to keep a clean and deliberate line.

The highlights for me so far have been bells, and a couple of six foot days on walled up down the line wanda and greenhills.

I'd like to surf them more often, but you need the waves and conditions to get the best out of them. Wish I'd have surfed them on the points up in Queensland. And I reckon that big old board would be on the money for Lennox in the six to eight foot plus range.

In most beachie conditions I'd much prefer a thruster (or a twinny if it's small)
Sniff wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

How do you find top turns as opposed to bottom turns on them?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:00 pm

well the single fin thing's been pretty recent for me. i only ever dabbled here and there years ago.

but in general my surfing and lines i draw feel a lot more stretched out. like i'm using more of the rail and keeping it on rail longer.

i feel it a lot on cutbacks. and off the bottom (and top), it's a feeling of delay, stability, and projection. or 'resistance and line drive' like steve said.

the crux of it feels all about keeping the board in trim, using the power of the wave, and holding a line.

they feel right at home in hollow waves and barrels and anything with a wall to burn down.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:26 am

To me the Bonzer is just the single perfected. You get all the benefits plus you can top turn.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:41 am

LOVE that footage of Curren at J Bay that Davros linked too.
The sequence from 1.36 mins to 1.44 mins defines purity of rhythm.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:19 pm

A clean bottom turn on my 7ft single in waves with a bit of juice is a mind blower, for me there's nothing more satisfying,but once I'm at the top I'm like "ah I really haven't mastered this thing" It would take dedicatation to become competent I reckon. So I'm interested to hear how you go into the future with them Hatchman and any thing you discover that' "works" so to speak.

Carvin - bottom turn 1.53 for me. :)

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Well. I've found what works best with singles is just ... chilling the fk out, staying as neutral as possible, and just letting the board find its own way of interacting with wave, and don't try and force it to do anything in particular. Let it all take its own course, whatever that may be.

On my big old beast, I've never had it even remotely vertical. On a bigger bowlier faster wave with more room, speed and time it probably could draw some pretty steep lines, maybe?

On my 6'0 if you get a good run you can send it on a steep climb line, clip the lip, hit sections ect .
Sniff wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:10 pm

I don't miss my longboard at all, but I do miss the high line trim of it with a big 10" dolphin fin. Love to have that feeling again but in a smaller board, maybe 7'. Don't care about snap, just driving carves, and high line trim.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:48 pm

steve shearer wrote:To me the Bonzer is just the single perfected. You get all the benefits plus you can top turn.
Agree.

But, gotta think about the shape. To use a car analogy, the bonzer concave/fin setup are the wheels/suspension while the shape is the chassis.

IMO some people bucket a bonzer in one bracket, where in reality the concept covers a massive amount of ground, from longboards, eggs, fishy things to HP wafers.

PS. Trivia buffs may not know but apart from MC shaping bonzers under the Campbell label, he was one of Merricks main guys for a very long time.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 am

If anyone's looking, there's a Very nice looking PCC single for sale in Cronulla in great condition for only $270

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cronulla ... 1085518252

Not sure of the size though ?
Sniff wrote: