getting stuck behind on take off

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

rock
Grommet

Re: getting stuck behind on take off

Post by rock » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:43 am

I struggle with this too.

Worst thing seems to be when you commit to a wave and then realise you can't make it... trying to pull out sometimes leads to the board going over the falls with me right behind it. Too easy to come together with the board.

Seems like it might be better to go anyway and then try to fall cleanly. What's the best way to handle it?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm

When a grom, I once tried to pull back by sitting up on board. Over I went with it. 2 points of swallow tail either side of knackers. Lucky not a pin.

Brukuns, question for you? Solid 8 footers Iggy Scale? Fcuk me. If that's the case, you might be offering, rather than asking for advice.
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Hmm your English is very good for a Portugese speaker me thinks......are you Paul Brown...where the f8ck is Paul Brown...who the f*ck is Paul Brown.

lorcar

Post by lorcar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:25 am

good thread
i feel i am stuck at the same situation
want to learn how to take off under the lip
I try, and then when I see the set approaching, I am scared to start to paddle because I think "if I paddle now I'll get too far in and get the lip into my head". So I start to paddle too late and I end up in the steepest part of the wave instead of being a bit further down where the takeoff is easier

lorcar

Post by lorcar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:33 am

and to be fully honest, I never understood what Breaking the Ledge means...

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 am

lorcar wrote:and to be fully honest, I never understood what Breaking the Ledge means...
I think it is breaking wind extra loud.

Seriously though, good thread. I have some boards that are good for mush but bad for steep take-offs, very flat rockers and full noses are not a joy to paddle into steep hollow waves.

legge
Grommet

Post by legge » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 am

i think something that hasnt been mentioned is taking off at an angle and placement of your hands. Sometimes taking off at an angle can reduce the steepness of the drop. And, also providing down the line speed. But if you bog a rail maybe try and change the placement of your hands because ur hands can throw your board out of rail if you push too hard on either side. I had this problem for literally months maybe years....several times a session. But its a good way to get into late drops or fast waves if you can get it dialed. Have a look at where the pros put their hands. Also u can experiment by putting ur left hand (if regular) in the centre on the deck of the board. It worked for me surprisingly well... Just my 2c

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 pm

swvic wrote:When a grom, I once tried to pull back by sitting up on board. Over I went with it. 2 points of swallow tail either side of knackers. Lucky not a pin.

Brukuns, question for you? Solid 8 footers Iggy Scale? Fcuk me. If that's the case, you might be offering, rather than asking for advice.
it did say brazilian, i thought brazilian scale was even less than seppo scale.

BTW what exactly is Iggy Scale??

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:56 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:
swvic wrote:When a grom, I once tried to pull back by sitting up on board. Over I went with it. 2 points of swallow tail either side of knackers. Lucky not a pin.

it did say brazilian, i thought brazilian scale was even less than seppo scale.

BTW what exactly is Iggy Scale??
Uh OH!
:-)
Being very old and learning to surf in the early 60's when 6' was 6' not head high being 3' as per an oft quoted scale posted by Iggy some time ago, I started referring to wave sizes as "iggy scale" to clarify for others on here most of whom agree with Iggs.
My argument is if the wave is head high or head high and a bit when you take off, that's a 6' wave. Sure it's jacked up from maybe a 3' swell but if you get hit by a lip from above your head, I fail to see how that can be 3' (unless your a booger - or coops :-) )
Anyway, we've long ago all agreed to disagree and now "head high", "chest high" or "double overhead" seems to have become more useful descriptions.

Now, let's see who bites. :mrgreen:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 am

The best way to circumvent being left behind on takeoff is to arrive at the airport early ... nothing sucks quite so much as missing a plane.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:55 pm

:\ ..... yeah the iggy scale ..... I'm comfortable in overhead waves and up to double overhead depending on the set up ..... but it upsets me to realise that after 40 years surfing I'm stoked with 2-3 ft waves !!!!!! - ie. head height on this bloody Iggy scale . It's degrading :!: :!: .

However , I think things have changed ...... has anyone else noticed :?:

Sort of 1-2 years ago the iggy scale was in full swing . Missed a few good surfs thinking it was not worth the "semi surf" (ie.thinking 2 ft = ankle slappers- knee high ) going on reports ....only to see photo's posted later of "overhead" " 2 ft" waves later in the day ! (and they're not photo's of midgets or groms )

Recently been getting excited to wake up and read 3 ft on the Hurley phone app . (cant see much properly on the short vid when it's shooting direct into the sun) .
Anyway trusting the "3ft = headheight take offs , I get down there only to find ankle slappers with the odd knee high set !!!!!! :-?
And thats after checking both north and south swell magnets 3-)

So , .......
1) has anyone else noticed , that perhaps the Iggy scale is being wound back :?:
2) Is it an " approaching summer 'phenomenon (and I dont mean the "swell period" explanation - height is height , power is power
3) Is Hurley liable for the confusion , or are Iggy and others like him responsible for this confusion

PS. We're in Sydney surfing mostly beachbreak ..... not based in Teahupoo , so maybe the the "body parts "scale is most appropriate ......

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:12 pm

I remember reading the thread on this and came out confused. That said, I go for the body parts size, but call it 'the face'; as in " surfed some nice head high faces, some chest high ones too". That way I avoid the "fark orf, its was 2ft ya wanker" calls. Then again, maybe it was and I'm really short. See, confused. On topic: paddle down the face under the lip, get up quick.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Its a tough one because need to throw in the shape of the wave...e.g. 3 foot hollow waves seem higher at the trough to peak than fat rolling 4ft waves...well to me they do, maybe thats why measure from the back...god I dont know...does it matter. How about small, medium, large, Xlarge

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 pm

yep the coastal watch app uses "seppo scale" for sure.

they have been overestimating for ages now. cant remember last time they under called a swell.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Magic Seaweed use the Seppo scale too.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 pm

JUST DON'T SURF