Summer of ASurf

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Summer of ASurf

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 pm

In times of yore my natural inclination was to herd up wife and chilluns and luxuriate under the she-oaks at Wategoes, sliding the baby-food on logs of the malibu persuasion, preferably single-finned in the aim of maybe getting a nose-ride in front of Elle McPherson or some other celeb staying at Rays.
But the general weight of hipsterism grew to be oppressive and all, so I figured it was time for a small wave shortboard, in the name of shralping some summer slop, of which there is rumoured to be an abundance.

I had some conversations with Mark Pridmore, which were forthright and he had some concepts.

A modified planing hull, aka mini-simmons, with more modern design elements. Including flyers, to reduce the tail area and bring some control and pivot poiints into the sled.

Mark calls it a dumpling but that sounds like something the queen would scoff after giving the royal corgi a swift kick in the crown jewels for farting under the table.
To me, with it's blunt bull-like nose and powerful, parallel outline and racy, sharp undercut behind the anal fin it resembles a sea-mullet.
My totem animal.
Also, owes a bit to the first Simon Thruster outline and single flyer single fins of my yoof.

It's going to have 5 plugs in it for a wide variety of fin experimentation including curved quad, straight quad and 5 fin set-ups like the ones Old Baldy has been rocking.

Doesn't that outline look fun as shit for a little running shorebreak on the Xmas king tide in the morning before a feed of prawns, a gutful of beer and an arvo on the couch listening to the cricket?
Maybe a sloppy little point break on low tide with an onshore breeze crumbling the lip line and a random swedish backpacker windmilling with impotent fury as he tries to drop in down the line?
Your damm right it does.

Oh, and Mark, our guinea pigs would be happy to come up and take that clover out if you are worried about bee stings. they fcuking love the shit.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: Summer of ASurf

Post by dUg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Looks fun alright. But glassed in Red Hexcel Texalium... would be fkn epic. :D

Look forward to ride report.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Is that some kind of software Dug?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:Is that some kind of software Dug?
tex_cloth.jpg
http://pcprogress.blogspot.com/2009/02/seeing-blue.html

:idea:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Cool.

BTW, I'm not saying this board will kill cockroach infestations, shrink expanding paunches, expand receding hairlines and give more powerful erections.

But it may, just may cause envy amongst holidaying cube monkeys floundering on pointy nosed potato chips.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 pm

You hear that Iggy?

get off the god-damm mini-mals boy.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 pm

i'm not sold on the length...just quietly...blow the design out tooo something between 7 ft and 8 ft

and u be having more fun in a bigger variety conditions

just my 2c :wink:

peace out...awesome shape
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 pm

It'd have to be stringerless to be a mullet, surely?

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 pm

5'4" !

5'4" ???

5'4" ???

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 am

Boo, the Mullet has both lateral line and backbone......so a double stringer would be appropriate if we were seeking perfect harmony....

And Josh....we like 'em short and thick up here. They fit better into the aquatic caverns.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 am

yes, 5'4"....with the low rocker and wide planing area, as well as a shifting back of the fins, you can ride these babies pretty dam short, my 5'5" is going a treat ...lots of options for Steve to play around with on this one so I'll be interested in what fins he likes on it....SS d you want a 5th tail fin made up for it ? ( KS nubster style or ? , or you just gunna play with what fins you already have ? 8)

sea mullet?... , it does resemble one for sure, maybe we could have done a full silver spray and Cain could have painted on a full mullet,scales and eye ball looking back at ya.... you'd be a giant frigging lure out there..... :roll:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 am

That sounds interesting Mark, didn't the FatBat have a small nub fin?
I never tried it.

And let Cain run loose, but remember, I'm a father and it might not seem cool for the kids to see their father paddling madly away from a rampaging bronzey.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am

Be interested to see how it goes.

I'm gonna buy a summer groveller at some stage. Hopefully before summer is over!

Was looking at a second hand 11ft Mactavish, but can't seem to bring myself to laying down the $220 for it. Figure I'm better paying double and getting a little board like that, or the fat bat I've loved ever since I laid my eyes on it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am

Depends whether you like shralping in the slop or posing on the nose.

Each have their place in the pantheon but I feel it is more seemly for a married man to go shralping.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 am

nah, wont be doing anything too crazy, he reckons he has a few ideas already....
the AquaBat had a shrunken down H2, I called it a H1coz and it went ok, but KS is using a semi-circular almost d-fin thingy, easy to do one of them up for ya, leave it with me....mine is going great, first few surfs were in waves with more size and push than ideal for it, plus I was getting used to it but now, she's like little nymph, just a little tickle and she is more than ready to go, full of enthusiasm and up for anything I wanna try.... :roll:

Braithy, you'll be bored of the 11fter in 2 surfs mate...your not 70 just yet...maybe buy it and when ya get bored, cut it in 2 and make 2 fun little summer bashers..... :roll:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am

Shralping for sure. Good thing about Shralping is it bodes well for your surfing once the waves get bigger & better and you're on your favourite board.

In the past, Mals hold my attention for about 3 surfs ... hence my reluctance. I had the MR (popout) twinnie which was a treat in 1-2 foot. Not much good either side of that though.

Looking for a summer board that'll go from ankle to head high ... I've never owned or even ridden anything shorter than 5'10" though ... so the length has me wondering stuff.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 pm

we can do it in a bigger size but it depends on what ya want really, best to chat via PM or email...a 5'10" will work fine, dont be scared of a small board, they are super fun, people are too reluctant because of the shortness but once you try it, you might be surprised... :shock: :D 8)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Mr mark......what blanks u using cut that from , a kneeboard? And have u tried different tails.? What got set on the square? I could see it in a 6'10 swallow!
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?