Twin fins as go-to boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Twin fins as go-to boards

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Who here rides a twin-fin as their go-to board? and what type of board is it?

I'm also curious to see how many people are riding twin-fins in their performance board as a valid replacement for modern quads and thrusters?

It seems as though quite a few people have shaped twins that are designed to be a valid competitor with our typical HPS thrusters, but I don't see many people surfing them or ranting about them. Some I can think of are by Webber (he even shapes twin-fin pin-tail guns), Griffin, Daniel Thompson, and another Hawaiian guy that shapes for Rasta (can't remember his name).
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

batoes
charger

Re: Twin fins as go-to boards

Post by batoes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I think Akila Aipa does some nice modern twins that Rasta rode for a while - Gary McNeil does some of his boards as performance twins. The only real twin i have is my dim-sim, although i did try the tomo richter i have as a twin. It way too loose and skatey. His V3s look like they'd be a solid twin though.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I do believe one Mr J Dowling is found of a "set"..."of twins"..."twin fins I mean"....you know.....

axolotl redux

Post by axolotl redux » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 am

any other ride reports on TOMO'S ?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am

Not to hijack, but i bought the richter 2nd hand. 5'6, 18 3/4, 2 1/4. Interesting board thus far. It has both thruster and quad set-up and i use it as a quad with the powerdrive fins that tomo designs. So far i've ridden it in a few conditions. It paddles quite well for such a tiny board, although it is too lightly glassed for my liking. It doesn't like chop or slop. It does handle fatter waves, because of the speed you get from the quad set-up, but doesn't really like to be driven hard like some other quads i've ridden and can slide out a bit. The best surf i had on it was 2ft glassy a-frames at my local beachie. I just took the bottom turn and the board did the rest - It had some good turn and release for a quad. For my average ability, i can't seem to get it to work for 4ft plus - just not enough foam under my feet and it felt too skatey. I would be interested in getting Dan's opinion on what would work for me and would certainly not get PU construction. Plenty of interest in his boards in the states right now.

Back to twins - i rode my alien as a twin in smaller waves and loved it - super loose and fast, lots of tail sliding at the lip - great fun.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

2000man

Post by 2000man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 am

Prior to escaping Sydney, I rode a 6'2" round-nosed 'fish'. Forward wide-point, flat-to-panel Vee, hard edged single-flyer swallow with 'modern' (neutral) rails shaped by Mike Phillakis. A great all-rounder for Sydney beach-breaks up to 3 feet (translation: 87%). They take time to get your timing wired, but once dialed, they are simply too much fun! The downside: busted way too many FCS plugs using the original MR carbon fins... and once they blow, they continue to do so. So-much-so I eventually glassed the fins into the plugs.
Highly recommended.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey Capt. Yep, I've been fond of the odd twinny.

Fin placement, size, rake etc are multiplied in importance. Too small or too far up and you get a thrustless thruster - spin-city.

They'll be magic in many situations, then just buck you off, put you flat on your face out of the blue...

But there's no reason why a twinny can't be made to give just about any characteristic - Imagine big rakey ones set way back, as if a split single fin. Drive, hold, you name it...

They're not good for the ol' FCS - the fin area can so easily tweak out the plugs. This is why there's not so much experimentation done with twins "IMO"

JD

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 am

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 am

speedneedle wrote:Hey Capt. Yep, I've been fond of the odd twinny.

Fin placement, size, rake etc are multiplied in importance. Too small or too far up and you get a thrustless thruster - spin-city.

They'll be magic in many situations, then just buck you off, put you flat on your face out of the blue...

But there's no reason why a twinny can't be made to give just about any characteristic - Imagine big rakey ones set way back, as if a split single fin. Drive, hold, you name it...

They're not good for the ol' FCS - the fin area can so easily tweak out the plugs. This is why there's not so much experimentation done with twins "IMO"

JD
What sort of planshape are you finding compliments it nicely?

I've been noticing that a lot of the performance twins (e.g. Aipa, Al Merrick MTF) all have super tight tails, like a hard hip or flyer coming to an unusually tight tail. Then you have the Daniel Thompsons which are ultra wide in the tail but the fins seem set back quite far, have huge fin area and a large powerdrive rake.

So many variables... :shock:

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 pm

i think i need to ride one. i'm liking the quads with smaller and smaller rear fins.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Apparently these go great - Clyde Betty Rocket Fish. Looks like to bigish singles but in a keel shape, not like MR's TX's. Looks like a full weapon.
Attachments
Loehr.jpg
Rocket Fish
Last edited by Davros on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Found this on ebay.

A little small for me but would imagine it goes really well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Webber-Mini- ... 500wt_1156
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

Little
regular

Post by Little » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I have a Webber Mini Fish that I love although at 3" thick it's very corky and rides on rather than in the wave. I got Webber to custom make one for me, 6' 3", pinched in overall to 20" wide and 2 3/8" thick. Obviously it's a bit harder to paddle, I'm 95 kg, but it's just as fast as the stock board and gets into the wave more like a high performance board should. I'm ecstatic about it, although it does need a little trailer fin in between the oversize red twins when it gets over about 4 ', otherwise you're really digging your toenails in on fast turns.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm

mackie: http://www.mackiesurfboards.com.au/designs

check out the new futro flex rocket fish - now that is interesting.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Little wrote:I have a Webber Mini Fish that I love although at 3" thick it's very corky and rides on rather than in the wave. I got Webber to custom make one for me, 6' 3", pinched in overall to 20" wide and 2 3/8" thick. Obviously it's a bit harder to paddle, I'm 95 kg, but it's just as fast as the stock board and gets into the wave more like a high performance board should. I'm ecstatic about it, although it does need a little trailer fin in between the oversize red twins when it gets over about 4 ', otherwise you're really digging your toenails in on fast turns.
Same thing I found with my mini-fish, super skatey as soon as the waves had some push. It lacked range and a whole spectrum of turns requiring hard back foot pressure. I loved the speed though, and it mopped up small waves. Had a very fun but hairy surf on it at big Dee Why point, that was interesting.
mackie: http://www.mackiesurfboards.com.au/designs

check out the new futro flex rocket fish - now that is interesting.
Looks ugly as hell, but I can imagine it would be super fun to surf. Looks pricey too, lots of new and alternative tech.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 am

Im thinking about a twinny with a rounded tail pulled in, not sure if it would work but I just love clean smooth outlines. I dont think I would muck around with the bottom too much, just very subtle. I reckon they would be heaps of fun in anything up to good 4 foot and am eager to find out if it works. :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".