Grommet

H3 Nexus...anyone tried 'em?

Post by SharkBoy » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 am

Got a review?

Natho
barnacle

Re: H3 Nexus...anyone tried 'em?

Post by Natho » Mon May 16, 2011 3:09 pm

No, but they look like a total rip off. I guess someone has to pay for all the marketing hype in the end. I am saying this without trying em, but fek they would want to be damn awesome for the coin.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Looks like a hell of a lot of work to make a fin work like a well foiled glass number

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I surfed a few waves on a pretty typical HPS thruster. I didn't get any chance to try different fins in the board, so hard to tell what was coming from the board and what from the fins. It felt very quick and pivotal, thats what I remember most...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I have a set in hand foiled glass, dont like em in the 2 boards that I have tried em in...but will try em in other boards soon....

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm

A little birdie tells me no-one (retaillers) can get 'em at the moment, but I guarantee you can pick up a set online. probably cheaper too unless you buy from billystitch. :lol:

I don't think the materials make a great deal of difference to those fins, so you could take dims ( or molds if you know someone with a set ) off them and make your own to see how they go. You could even lay 'em up in gold texallium if you wanted to look really pooncey.

Haven't tried 'em meself.

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Post by Shoulder hopper » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I tried them in 2 different boards ( new 6'2" and a 6'5"),in very good and also reasonable waves. I had been using PC 5s in both boards and was happy with the PC 5s. Used the nexus for about 2 weeks and found them to catch off the top especially down the line speed turns and also made the boards a bit harder to do pivoty turns in the pocket. Thought it was just my surfing until I changed back to the PC5s and then both boards came alive again, so for the price I think they are very much overrated.
A couple of friends tried them and one was happy with them but the other absolutely hated them and said they were catchy also.
I wouldn't pay the money for them but if you got to try them for free then yeah give them a go and let us know what you think. It might be just my piss poor surfing so I am interested in what others think about them also. SH

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm

dUg wrote:A little birdie tells me no-one (retaillers) can get 'em at the moment, but I guarantee you can pick up a set online. probably cheaper too unless you buy from billystitch. :lol:

I don't think the materials make a great deal of difference to those fins, so you could take dims ( or molds if you know someone with a set ) off them and make your own to see how they go. You could even lay 'em up in gold texallium if you wanted to look really pooncey.

done it, dont like em in 2 thrusters, but gunna try em as fronts in a quad....

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 pm

interesting, for those of you who've tried them, what kind of waves would you reckon they go best in?

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Post by Shoulder hopper » Tue May 17, 2011 6:07 am

I surfed them in waves from very good point waves to reasonable beachbreaks and found they went better out of my board than in it! I really didn't like them at all sorry. SH

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah I've seen $129.00 for mediums online. Still pricey.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 am

Got a set of each size, use large sides and smaller trailer in my shortboard configuration and smalls as sides on the mal... work for me but I surf like crap regardless. :? Wouldn’t be able to quantify how they may be different as that is all I have used since I had them in various boards, so guess I am convinced.

Extremely light due to the foam core and nicely put together using the various materials and resin transfer moulding. Guess they would feeler stiffer in your hands than your bog standard composite glass-flex fins and perhaps even glass foils but that is always the case. Typically, put ’em in a board and you can flex the tip with relative ease. Spring back should be crisper due to the materials and the way it is laid up.

Shape of them makes sense to my mind, maybe too much fin area for some. They have dropped the extremeness of the H2s... normal toe-in and cant.

Over-packaged to buggary, metal case, engraved perspex display thingo which one fin is adhered to with bump-on type patches, and then the other two fins have separate printed, die-cut enclosures... designer’s wank basically (hey, I should know). Fair bit of the expenditure right there if you were to try and do it here, but not out of overseas production. Guess we all need a fancy metal box for something – how’s your colouring in going?

No I didn’t, and not sure I would, pay retail for them.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue May 17, 2011 3:19 pm

my hand foiled glass set in a 6'6" x 20" x 2 9/16" glassed in epoxy...

hey RV, hope things are well mate... 8)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 pm

pridmore wrote:
dUg wrote:A little birdie tells me no-one (retaillers) can get 'em at the moment, but I guarantee you can pick up a set online. probably cheaper too unless you buy from billystitch. :lol:

done it, dont like em in 2 thrusters, but gunna try em as fronts in a quad....
ahem MP... there was supposed to be Gold Texallium. Where is the Gold Texallium? :P

I took some molds off some K2.1's and layed 'em up with 8oz Kevlar ( green fluoro pigment... yeeeeeaaaaaahhh ), based on the stiffness I really doubt the 20 or so criss-crossed strands in the Nexusssusususss do much more than look kewel. MP are those hand foiled / laminate jobbies?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 pm

yep, hand foiled babies, I didnt do em but I love my glss fins, hard to beat the feel and flex...
oops, 4got the gold, think my missus has some gold nail polish somewhere.... :roll:

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey Sharkboy, I have a set and in my opinion they are an excellent fin in the right board in the right conditions. I will clarify.
They work well in typical performance boards but not in shorter wider boards, snub noses or wide tails and alike that ride flatter. They work well in variable conditions like beach breaks, but for predicable reef and point breaks and waves with more power to size there are purpose designed fins that do a better job, so something with more rake.
In a performance board that relies on rails and turns to generate momentum while in variable beach break type waves they work well, because the base shape and stiffness provide good drive and so generate good speed through turns or while positioned higher on the face or on a sucky wave, however the shape allows for quick and easy turns, and also gives a good balance of release and recovery in re-entries so you can slide the tail out or get nice and high and get a fin or two out. They work more for waves where you are turning a lot and doing more critical manoeuvrers, so are not really the go for long drawn out power turns and cut backs. The drive and easy manoeuvrability give a performance board another dimension in beach breaks where many people would look to change their board style to suit the wave.
On faster more powerful reef breaks or beach breaks over 4 ft they will definitely feel skatey and so don’t even bother with them if it hits over 4 ft.
They come in different sizes for your weight and in my opinion they are accurately matched so my advice is to be sure to get the one that matches your size and also think about how much power you put out when you turn as you want to go bigger rather than smaller with these fins if you are on the fringe.
Yes they are very expensive, I believe $160 full retail so it is worth while seeing what you can do to get them cheaper and yes the packaging is over the top for what will go in the bin, but if you want a recommendation on the fins themselves they are great in performance short boards unless you ride an undersized board for your size, and they are great for beach breaks. I didn’t pay anywhere near full price but still had trouble coughing up for an expensive set of fins but am very glad I did as it probably turned one surf board into two as a board that works up to 6 ft with a stiff raked fin can also work down to 2 ft with these fins.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey dissapointed. What type of shorter wider board did ya try 'em in? What did you find, and why didn't they work for you?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 pm

disappointed wrote:Hey Sharkboy, I have a set and in my opinion they are an excellent fin in the right board in the right conditions. I will clarify.
They work well in typical performance boards but not in shorter wider boards, snub noses or wide tails and alike that ride flatter. They work well in variable conditions like beach breaks, but for predicable reef and point breaks and waves with more power to size there are purpose designed fins that do a better job, so something with more rake.
In a performance board that relies on rails and turns to generate momentum while in variable beach break type waves they work well, because the base shape and stiffness provide good drive and so generate good speed through turns or while positioned higher on the face or on a sucky wave, however the shape allows for quick and easy turns, and also gives a good balance of release and recovery in re-entries so you can slide the tail out or get nice and high and get a fin or two out. They work more for waves where you are turning a lot and doing more critical manoeuvrers, so are not really the go for long drawn out power turns and cut backs. The drive and easy manoeuvrability give a performance board another dimension in beach breaks where many people would look to change their board style to suit the wave.
On faster more powerful reef breaks or beach breaks over 4 ft they will definitely feel skatey and so don’t even bother with them if it hits over 4 ft.
They come in different sizes for your weight and in my opinion they are accurately matched so my advice is to be sure to get the one that matches your size and also think about how much power you put out when you turn as you want to go bigger rather than smaller with these fins if you are on the fringe.
Yes they are very expensive, I believe $160 full retail so it is worth while seeing what you can do to get them cheaper and yes the packaging is over the top for what will go in the bin, but if you want a recommendation on the fins themselves they are great in performance short boards unless you ride an undersized board for your size, and they are great for beach breaks. I didn’t pay anywhere near full price but still had trouble coughing up for an expensive set of fins but am very glad I did as it probably turned one surf board into two as a board that works up to 6 ft with a stiff raked fin can also work down to 2 ft with these fins.
Good assessment there disappointed...I had a similar experience with them over the weekend. I put them in a 6'3 channel bottomed board for some 6ft clean surf. Set up as a thruster. Nearly every time I bottom turned I went on my ass. They were all lefts..so on my backhand. I was perplexed because I had used them in a quad with GXQ trailers and loved them on that board. The board they work in is a quad that has a widish tail.. still HP but just a bit rounder in the tail. I spoke to Josh Dowling because the board they didn't work in was the 6 channel slot machine he made me..swapped them over to PC7's for the following day.. same size (6ft) and clean and the hold returned. I like them..but agree they are for under 4-5 ft and I actually think they are better on wider tailed boards because they do have a bit of cant.. not as much as the H2's but more than a regular fin.