bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 am

No disrespect intended to the shaper but when the copy is selling for more than the originals I'd be questioning the investment.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Not sure how you could have a cross between a Bonzer 5 and Speed Dialer it may be like a fly slipping into the time machine and producing a mutant with evil super powers but has major flaws (you may end up getting eaten by a spider aswell "dont eat me, dont eat me")...especially around the fins/tail concaves...anyway yes more expensive than either board (I bought my bonzer 5 for 800 new) a Ritchie Pavel Speed Dialer has a 1 year wait list apparently.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Davros wrote:
151DSC00809.jpg
Man that board looks fun, who shaped it?

I'm super curious to how different it would surf compared to a board with everything the same except for quad fins in more typical placements.

So many types of boards to try, so little money and time... haha :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Campbell Bros, have a look at Surfysurfy.net for more Bonzer candy.....

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:40 am

Slowman wrote:They do look like some of the old bonzers G&S used to make ...I guess Terry Bishop or Steve Griffiths (pre Emerald) shaped them back then. They seem very similar with the deep concave next to the bonzer fins...only diference they weren't 5 fins and of course they didn't use the modern refined bottom curves.

For the moment though I'll stick with my thrusters and quads.
Steve Grifiths is still operating at Black Widow ,on the Sunshine Coast , I think....

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Just bought a second hand Campbell Bros Bonzer 5 Egg (Egg: the name which makes a fun board legitimate!?!??) at a retailers-doing-it-tough price. 7'2" rounded pin. It's my back in the water board after 10 months plus of sanity challenging dryness thanks to a royally f**ked spine. What can I expect? Some say only good in down the line waves, others say they are fine in average Sydney beachies. Verdicts? Also, got the board with 7 inch FCS "longboard" centre fin. Fin OK?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:32 pm

kayu wrote:
Slowman wrote:They do look like some of the old bonzers G&S used to make ...I guess Terry Bishop or Steve Griffiths (pre Emerald) shaped them back then. They seem very similar with the deep concave next to the bonzer fins...only diference they weren't 5 fins and of course they didn't use the modern refined bottom curves.

Steve Grifiths is still operating at Black Widow ,on the Sunshine Coast , I think....
nah mate, shut down 9 months ago pretty sure.....

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:01 pm

steve shearer wrote:Let me know if you ever want to sell it.
Guessing that's an endorsement Steve :).
Any fishies bitin' your way? Had another wave of southern bluefin tuna smacking trolled minnows last week just south of Steak and Kidney. They are 45kms out though. Moved further S now. Harbour and Manly etc chocka with salmon scoffing tiny eyes. And for those blokes up your way whining the sambos are eating all the whiting etc, Fisheries research says BS.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Well the accusation is that the salmon schools are displacing the tailor.

And anecdotally I agree with that assessment.

Not much......about to chase flatties in the river with plastics.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Few rat kings taking 6 inch jerk shads off Lion Isl at moment.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Let's face it, they're all just variations on a theme, the theme being that anything made out of foam can be ridden, and often these shapes have no more going for them than tha they are made out of foam.

More conventional quads will rule over these fads, but these little polished beauties will gain the admiration of plenty of punters along the way.

Just not me.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:39 am

pridmore wrote:
kayu wrote:

nah mate, shut down 9 months ago pretty sure.....
......another victim of the times maybe. I hope he's still doin a few somwhere....

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 am

So quads aren't a fad olds?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:46 am

did a great glass ob but was quite bitter against the whole industry, thats not just my thoughts, alot of people had notice him getting grumpier and grumpier.hard industry to be happy in sometimes......He glassed my backyardies in the early 90's for a while, ran a tight ship and the cleanest factory I have ever seen.....

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:02 am

bombora wrote:Just bought a second hand Campbell Bros Bonzer 5 Egg (Egg: the name which makes a fun board legitimate!?!??) at a retailers-doing-it-tough price. 7'2" rounded pin. It's my back in the water board after 10 months plus of sanity challenging dryness thanks to a royally f**ked spine. What can I expect? Some say only good in down the line waves, others say they are fine in average Sydney beachies. Verdicts? Also, got the board with 7 inch FCS "longboard" centre fin. Fin OK?
Get a True Aimes or another specific Bonzer Fin ASAP and go back to the shop where you bought it and stick the other fin up the guys ar%e who sold you the board. Read the Bonzer 5 site for fin placement - go to Egg section, its key. You can ride them in anything IMO but they do like a wall but will cut through junk and general Sydney beaches and you'll enjoy how fast they get a away. Another thing I found on back hand if you push the fin to far up it can be slightly tough to control in harder and shaper turns in juicey waves, that probably is just me. Try to ride it back foot as much as possible thats key to, you can ride the Eggs frontish footish but it will stiffen the board up a bit, they may look like a fun board but these have a bit under the hood (being the fin area). Get the fins set up right and you'll like it I bet.Enjoy and good luck getting the back right.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks Davros, looking at the Campbell Bros site and the fins featured, they have a bit more tip area and seem slightly more uprght than the one which came with board. Will go fin hunting.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 am

Guessing you got the board from Quicky at Manly they should have Bonzer fins if not try the boys at "The store next door" next door to Aloha they will have bonzer fins I think.