Owl status

bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 01, 2011 10:05 pm

if it really eva started :roll:

got my daughter off a quad onto a bonzer type set up today

i.e two very small front fins...large single thruster fin

it worked...transformed the board

the design has always had heaps merit, never out favour in hawaii :idea:

i'm wondering what aussie shapers are out there who know how make this type board :?:

:arrow: http://www.surfline.com/sdg/forum/07_01_bonzer.cfm
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by alakaboo » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

doesn't luke short shape campbell bros boards under licence?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 01, 2011 11:20 pm

can't see his done anything withit if he has

:arrow:

Our vintage Bonzers are not retro in performance, and are definitely not made to hang on the wall. We have taken what was good about the old templates and profiles, and discreetly unified them with modern refinements. This produces a variety of shapes that brings the past and present together into a totally ripable combination. We have a variety of longboards ranging from a basic cruiser, to the Elevated Wing 5-Fin Bonzer (aka EB5). This Campbell Brothers/Max McDonald collaboration has produced, hands down, the best hot dog longboard on the market. Our contemporary Bonzer shortboards have capabilities that, given the chance, will take surfing into a entirely new dimension of performance. WELCOME TO THE FIFTH DIMENSION

8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 pm

http://bonzer5.com/boards/models/contemporary/

please consider the surfing...rather than other designs constant hype :roll:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon May 02, 2011 7:17 am

http://www.blackapachesurfboards.com.au ... ds/bonzer/

And i ride a mackie bonzer - see pic

How do you get a campbell brothers board over here? I'd like to try one of those contemporary ones.
Attachments
belly copy.jpg
belly copy.jpg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 28873 times
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 am

Have a Campbell Bros Bonzer 5 egg shaped by LSD. Quicksilver Manly have a ton of Bonzers but I've heard they may not be selling down the track. Look at http://www.surfysurfy.net there is some great bonzer Candy.

The Egg I have is very fast down the line and flows the word. If you get a Campbell Bros Bonzer read the site about fin placement its a must. Needs to be ridden backfoot to fully enjoy but still great when you dont get the foot right each time.

If you need to know anything about the boards or what you should ride drop Malcolm Campbell a line he is a great bloke and will give you good advice. I've heard he told others thinking about a 1st bonzer to ride similar to the dims of their regular board.

I like quads as well but if your worried about tracking on bonzers, dont, they dont.

Batoes, is that Mackies old Bonzer he used to ride? how does it go?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 am

Do it.
I rode a bonzer in California, and my small wave board is a 2+1.
Considering the widowmaker for my current order, a good-wave board

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 am

quads and bonzers compliment each other.

I rode my 6'3" quadfather at winki and it went sensationally well.

Rode the 7'0" bonzer5 at 6-8ft Bells after the final....

Just about to paddle the 7'0" out at 6-8ft Ox.....

I love the Bonzer feel, but you need a down the line wave to really feel 'em come to life.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am

^^^
Nothing like being able to go surfing at 9.42am on a monday morning, hey SS ?

Just a quick post to rub it in, was it?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Davros, i got it 2nd hand, it may have belonged to mackie? I like it in bigger faster waves and find it turns really well, especially that first bottom turn. At 6, 21, 2 5/8 it feels like a lot of board. Sometimes find the transition from thrusters and quads to this interesting - you can't pump for speed, you need to rely on moving higher on the face of the wave. Great fun to break things up - just need good waves for it to work on.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon May 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks Batoes, I'm getting a 2+1 made up by Mick Mackie in a similar outline and I saw a pictue on his site of a yellow bonzer (like yours) and said yeah I like that outline and he said yeah it was his and still gets ridden around Cronulla parts. Thanks for the feed back on it as well.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm

batoes wrote:Davros, i got it 2nd hand, it may have belonged to mackie? I like it in bigger faster waves and find it turns really well, especially that first bottom turn. At 6, 21, 2 5/8 it feels like a lot of board. Sometimes find the transition from thrusters and quads to this interesting - you can't pump for speed, you need to rely on moving higher on the face of the wave. Great fun to break things up - just need good waves for it to work on.
Must have got some use over the weekend??. Lovely board there. Let me know if you ever want to sell it!!!

I got waves at mm on sat morning. Absolutely missed out sun and today ( packing up coz were moving, and sick kids ), hoping to get something tomorrow morning. Had a look this arvo, the farm lucky to be 4' no one out, cowries 5' and 15 out.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

P.S any chance i can check out the bottom concaves and fins??

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm

steve shearer wrote:quads and bonzers compliment each other.

quad " hey bonzer you were surfing great out there!"

bonzer " thanks quad, saw you get some awesome ones for the early!"

quad " yeah but u were ripping...the old dude up top holds me back"

bonzer " nah u were ripping harder, and yeah....his stance shits me too, hard fly like a eagle when u got a turkey ridin you :wink: :lol: "

quad " me too, lets jump in the same boardbag and hope we get lost in laugage and a good surfer gets ride us for a change"

bonzer " plan quad"

well...if surfboards could talk :idea: :lol:

p.s loving the bonzer pics, my girls boards just got little back quad fins in front and a sunny garcia centre.....with fin systems.....u can muck around and give it a try see if u like the idea first :idea:

we are riding quality point waves.....might hate it in beachies :?: :?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Hey Davros, i doubt very much you'll be disappointed with Mackie's boards - he is a master and a bloody good surfer to boot. I remember as a grommie watching him take on some heavy waves at Shark Island. I have checked out some of his boards more recently at sixounce and he seems to be doing everything. Some of his 2+1s were for sale: http://www.sixounceboardstore.com.au/
Beerfan - our mccoy surfs never worked! But we should meet up again for another session - this time on our singles? Gave the bonzer a whirl at minnos on a good swell a few weeks ago - holds a good line in the barrel! Bottom concaves are awesome. PM me when you wanna catch up, you gotta have a go on the bonzer. :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 am

Hey guys,

I second Batoes on Mackie - awesome shaper and super nice guy. I've had a few of his side cut fishes and would love to check out some of his other shapes.

That is my mates bonzer from Black apache - Beautiful board, he's been kind enough to give me one wave but might steal a few more off him on the next surfari. Super drive and control and sooo much speed. It will take a bit of getting used to but look like fun to ride if you like your ears getting pinned back.

I selling my Josh Dowling 2+1 if anyone is interested PM me.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue May 03, 2011 9:17 pm

batoes wrote: I have checked out some of his boards more recently at sixounce and he seems to be doing everything. Some of his 2+1s were for sale: http://www.sixounceboardstore.com.au/
:D

image no 6....the neal purchase jnr 8) with the nose channels :shock:

now thats a point break board i reckon :idea:

one question.....do they only work in good waves :?:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm curious, whats the rail profile like mid-point back to the tail on the bonzers that you guys have?

e.g. is it boxy and soft coming to a hard edge typical of modern boards? how foiled is the rail and how does the foil progress as you get near the tail?

I'm just trying to get my head around how much hold is coming from what with a bonzer...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.