bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm

How you find the Outer Island Smart board?

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:29 pm

picked up a bonzer three from my brother recently. It was shaped by Thomas Bexon, I have had it stashed away and had not surfed until Friday, saturday and sunday. I was stoked on how it went in waist to overhead beachies, it is 5'8"
IMG_2820.jpg
(80 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:45 am

Davros wrote:How you find the Outer Island Smart board?
Mine is a wide than normal model smartboard dimensions.
Wider nosed so it paddles reall well in the flats and catches waves easily.
Still handles a steepish drop if I angle in and its got the Outer island speed thats a characteristic of the deep concave bottom.
Because of its length (6'8") its a relaxed ride but still got some wow factor that you find with the boards from the best shapers.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am

I looked at the Smartboard about 10 years ago and have always pondered. Ta

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:07 pm

quads aint dead, just more refined. 6'11 step up quad has finally arrived. Was the wait worth it, oh lordy yes
Attachments
IMG_5442.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG (60.11 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG (69.08 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5444.JPG (69.15 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
IMG_5443.JPG
IMG_5443.JPG (73.99 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Looks sick, what's the pattern? Versatraction?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:33 am

Thats really early season g land salty, winds are still all over the place. How long have you got?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:59 am

alakaboo wrote:Looks sick, what's the pattern? Versatraction?
No its not boo, its something that is unique to huei and he use to do it with his personal boards. I waxed over the top of it and the coverage and grip is superb.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:56 pm

batoes wrote:
JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Why are you selling it? Getting another for solid days?

Gumtree people, lol
Just not riding it at all. I have a 6'0 NPJ 2+1 that is much better suited in terms of volume. I thought maybe i could use the Russ Short as a mid length with its volume, but it's far too rockered for that. It goes well in the big stuff, no doubt; just prefer the 2+1 - don't need two step ups. I'm in no rush - and to be honest if it doesn't sell - i plan on putting on ten kilos in the next year after no 4 arrives - then it'll be my grovellor. :shock:

I saw your board on "the gumtree.
How much rocker does it have? I'm looking for something with a little more than my new mini merk. Are you in a position to compare it to the mini merk rocker at all?
Been riding my mini merk a fair bit since I got it. Mainly at Cronulla point. I'm loving it and am thinking about getting something longer and more slender for the bigger days at Cronulla point where I seem to struggle with the width of the board. It really doesn't seem to like the choppy days either. I seem to stack it a lot in the choppier stuff. Which is surprising as its glassed heavy.
Yeah its got some rocker - both nose and tail. I think the Russ is made for better waves. I tried riding it in smaller stuff and it didn't work for me. Ni idea how it would compare to the MM - maybe email Malcolm? or Rhino?

I noticed your Russ short is no longer on the gumtree. Have you sold it or just pulled the ad?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:59 am

JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:
JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Why are you selling it? Getting another for solid days?

Gumtree people, lol
Just not riding it at all. I have a 6'0 NPJ 2+1 that is much better suited in terms of volume. I thought maybe i could use the Russ Short as a mid length with its volume, but it's far too rockered for that. It goes well in the big stuff, no doubt; just prefer the 2+1 - don't need two step ups. I'm in no rush - and to be honest if it doesn't sell - i plan on putting on ten kilos in the next year after no 4 arrives - then it'll be my grovellor. :shock:

I saw your board on "the gumtree.
How much rocker does it have? I'm looking for something with a little more than my new mini merk. Are you in a position to compare it to the mini merk rocker at all?
Been riding my mini merk a fair bit since I got it. Mainly at Cronulla point. I'm loving it and am thinking about getting something longer and more slender for the bigger days at Cronulla point where I seem to struggle with the width of the board. It really doesn't seem to like the choppy days either. I seem to stack it a lot in the choppier stuff. Which is surprising as its glassed heavy.
Yeah its got some rocker - both nose and tail. I think the Russ is made for better waves. I tried riding it in smaller stuff and it didn't work for me. Ni idea how it would compare to the MM - maybe email Malcolm? or Rhino?

I noticed your Russ short is no longer on the gumtree. Have you sold it or just pulled the ad?
Yeah she sold - sadly - just needed the money and of course, ironically, it is pretty massive this morning - but i'll take out my 2+1.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Bummer was thinking about making the trip down for a while there.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:46 am

JET01 wrote:Bummer was thinking about making the trip down for a while there.
Yeah - there was interest everyday but no one could ever manage to organise a courier. Then a local guy turned up and grabbed it. Would love to get a smaller thinner version at some point. 6'0, 19, 2 1/4 or so.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:57 pm

batoes wrote:
Yeah - there was interest everyday but no one could ever manage to organise a courier. Then a local guy turned up and grabbed it. Would love to get a smaller thinner version at some point. 6'0, 19, 2 1/4 or so.
I went too big on the mini merk. That's why I liked the idea of the Russ short as a bigger wave board.

At 77kg with a dodgy back, I went 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8. If I'd stayed at 2 1/2 (even less ) it would have been sufficient foam considering how flat the deck is.

I'll just keep it for when I get a bit older. After the leggy incident it's got a few scratches and will need a small repair on the rail so there's no point selling as I'll take too much of a hit on resale.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 pm

JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:
I went too big on the mini merk. That's why I liked the idea of the Russ short as a bigger wave board.

At 77kg with a dodgy back, I went 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8. If I'd stayed at 2 1/2 (even less ) it would have been sufficient foam considering how flat the deck is.

I'll just keep it for when I get a bit older. After the leggy incident it's got a few scratches and will need a small repair on the rail so there's no point selling as I'll take too much of a hit on resale.
To be honest - people won't pay over $700 - no matter what. New board, not a single dent etc - i've found it very hard to move boards in that condition. If the 2+1 i have wasn't ticking all the boxes, i would have kept it - but bills, kids etc...Damn shame - it was one of those boards that you could oggle and fondle. Really well made. I think i'd go thinner than i normally would with any bonzer again - they have a stack of foam in them.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:22 pm

Yeah, I've decided I'm better off keeping it for the day when I get old and fat and need the extra float. I'll surf it between now and then when I get bored of my usual boards. Always good to have something different to mix it up.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 am

JET01 wrote:Yeah, I've decided I'm better off keeping it for the day when I get old and fat and need the extra float. I'll surf it between now and then when I get bored of my usual boards. Always good to have something different to mix it up.
absolutely. The same reason i kept my Bumblebee bonzer - heaps of crossover - but great board to break up your surfing and style.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:55 am

batoes wrote:
JET01 wrote:
batoes wrote:

To be honest - people won't pay over $700 - no matter what. New board, not a single dent etc - i've found it very hard to move boards in that condition. If the 2+1 i have wasn't ticking all the boxes, i would have kept it - but bills, kids etc...Damn shame - it was one of those boards that you could oggle and fondle. Really well made. I think i'd go thinner than i normally would with any bonzer again - they have a stack of foam in them.

I paid $700 for a pavel twin fin, never been surfed, not a smudge on it, still had for sale sticker $1400 still on it!
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Are you throwing out the bait? Oh you've surfed it but it hadn't been.