bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by Drailed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Maroubra - big deep clean waves which you get a nice roll into and then hit the inner bank.

Really good and then it went weird and stopped braking all of a sudden, thats ok, had my time and needed to do some work - made it a bit easier to get out....
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Took out the egg yesterday morning at the local point. 3-4 foot clean. Took it easier and didn't push the bottom turn, just eased into it - what a buttery board it is. Smooth, forgiving, still got speed to burn. Only my 3rd time out on it, and I've still got some major adjustments on the cutback. I'm putting my backfoot down to bury the rail into a turn, but I'm doing a classic Mal pivot instead :oops: That egg shape is working well for me though.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:31 pm

I miss my egg

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Stuck a 7 inch dolphin fin in my 7'2" CB speed egg and prefer it to the 7 inch True Ames style bonzer fin. No huge loss of drive, and freed the board up a bit. Been riding a round pin quad in this swell though :) .

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Yep Dolphin fins make sense on the eggs

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 am

i tried a greenough in two of mine and didn't really like it. Horses for courses.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 am

why do you reckon that is? I don't disagree, just wondering.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks Saltman.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:37 am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rBA0rGBqOnI/V ... C02983.JPG
G10x oak combo 6 1/2'' bonza

polyester is sooo'' old school

cheers huie

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Who's the resident Bonzer guru around here?
Has anyone seen a Russ Short and a Mini Merk side by side?

I want to buy a bonzer as good wave board. I ride a 6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 9/16 Miller waterskate most days and tend to miss a lot of waves on my 6'4 shorty as I feel it's a little undervolumed since fatherhood.

Thinking about getting a 6'4 Mini Merk or Russ Short. I'd like a little more rocker in my new board than what my waterskate.

Any thoughts?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Ok, haven't ridden it much but had my third ride on the PB EPS Bonzer, Id been riding it in kind of ok 2 ft maybe 3 ft surf and hadn't been digging it that much, but I had said 10 good rides before passing real judgement because it's so different to my other boards.

Suprise suprise a bonzer that likes a fast wave with a little kick in the pants, board completely liven up, entry into waves great, speed to burn and control with the 5 fins....because its so so light with the EPS and doesn't have a flat rocker as such I think it needs more in the wave to get along, and it did. This board wont see much sunlight in summer.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for that Davros. That's that kind of board I need. Got plenty of boards for small waves and summer time.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm

JET01 wrote:Who's the resident Bonzer guru around here?
Has anyone seen a Russ Short and a Mini Merk side by side?

I want to buy a bonzer as good wave board. I ride a 6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 9/16 Miller waterskate most days and tend to miss a lot of waves on my 6'4 shorty as I feel it's a little undervolumed since fatherhood.

Thinking about getting a 6'4 Mini Merk or Russ Short. I'd like a little more rocker in my new board than what my waterskate.

Any thoughts?
i have a 6'3 russ short - in comparison to the standard performance shorty it has a beak nose. Wide point is pretty far forward. The mini merk looks like a back footed board. The russ carries more volume - 70s style. The min merk is somewhere between a regular shorty and thicker 80s style board.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:31 pm

The PB Jet is a real different board, concave deck and only 2 inches thick (I'm 105 kilos) it works but I reckon it might not to be every bodies cup of tea. I'd love a Russ Short.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 pm

i'd love another russ short in every days dimensions - i only ride this one in the big stuff, but it handles really well.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Wow.
Just reread this whole thread. Back to the land of indecisiveness.
I've got a trip booked for next year but most of the time I'll be surfing Cronulla reefs and beaches.

I'm thinking 6'3 Russ Short rounded pin vs 6'3 Mini Merk.

Current quiver if anyone cares. Just sold my 6'4 quad shorty to get the bonzer fund started.

6'1 PCC 1970 single (don't surf it often, it was a wedding present)
6'2 miller waterskate
(Insert bonzer here)
7'7 midlength single (Summer fun and when Wanda is clean and walled up, glide time)
9'6 ECS classic log

Hope I like them. Never ridden one.... Going in blind.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 am

There's guys on here Jet that ride bonzers more than I but the thing I enjoy about them is the power. Full V8 engine in half decent waves, the power and the drive, of the 2 Bonzers I've had/have don't like weak surf, doesnt need to be big but just some power and fast waves they eat up. With that single on steroids comes a different set of lines to tri's etc....you probably already know all this, but ala yesterday when you have a good session on a bonzer the world is pretty damn good. Yew. Bonus is you'll learn a bit about different design and fin placement.

Let us know what you decide "I gots to know"

PS. Once you get you first ok wave on it and the fins gut the wave like a brand new razor sharp tungsten steel carving knife, you'll be hooked. No other feeling.

PSS- I like the sound of a 5 fin Russ short for good waves, the fuller, 70's design, wipe point fwd would mean nice early entry into waves. I have one in my future for next winter.

Batoes/guys any view on the Russ round tail vs the diamond, I like Dimond tails to shorten the rail a bit, may be a bit better for Sydney waves perhaps.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:57 am

Davros wrote:There's guys on here Jet that ride bonzers more than I but the thing I enjoy about them is the power. Full V8 engine in half decent waves, the power and the drive, of the 2 Bonzers I've had/have don't like weak surf, doesnt need to be big but just some power and fast waves they eat up. With that single on steroids comes a different set of lines to tri's etc....you probably already know all this, but ala yesterday when you have a good session on a bonzer the world is pretty damn good. Yew. Bonus is you'll learn a bit about different design and fin placement.

Let us know what you decide "I gots to know"

PS. Once you get you first ok wave on it and the fins gut the wave like a brand new razor sharp tungsten steel carving knife, you'll be hooked. No other feeling.

PSS- I like the sound of a 5 fin Russ short for good waves, the fuller, 70's design, wipe point fwd would mean nice early entry into waves. I have one in my future for next winter.

Batoes/guys any view on the Russ round tail vs the diamond, I like Dimond tails to shorten the rail a bit, may be a bit better for Sydney waves perhaps.

Agree with the tail setup. My russ is a pin tail - and for its size and thickness - it isn't the easiest board to hurl into a turn. I had a diamond tail mackie bonzer that was similar dims and much easier to turn. I only ride the 6'3 russ in overhead waves when it is barreling. In those conditions it really lights up.

Jet - you might consider the mini merk because you've already got a wide variety of boards in that quiver - maybe something with a thick, but familiar planshape might be easier to adjust with the bonzer setup. You ordering one from Malcolm?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.