bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

tiger
barnacle

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by tiger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks guy's, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Stevo, I just plonked that centre fin in for the pics. The box slot starts at 5" from the tip of the diamond tail, with recommendations that the rear fin is set 5 1/4" from the tail. I couldn't really sneak the box back any further due to tail thickness. The keels are set so their trailing edge is in line with the front of the rear fin when it is set at 5 1/4".

Hey Pete, he can give that fin a try first, it's just a cheapie but it looks nice. I'll let him know about the preferred trueames ones and he can grab one if he wants.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:41 pm

It's not my board Fong, it's an order for someone.

I'll let him no Mr P.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:19 am

Looks sweet tiger. Well done mate
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:59 pm

alkali 6.5 inch hand shaped Dolphin fin going into a futures box for a yet to be completed 6ft, 5 fin Bonzer (this week I hope). Have only used true aimes bonzer fins in past so should be interesting as completely different.

0021.jpg
fin
0021.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 5178 times

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Btw, haven't seen Batoes, Matticus, Jet or Cpt Caveman and a few others around for a while. Other fans of so called alternative craft, you must have a few new boards to feature!!
Last edited by Davros on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:49 pm

nice foil!
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Yeh the layers look awesome "in the flesh". They are running a special at the moment Alkai as well. 100 bucks with a Sydney delivery that boy.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 am

One other thing I'm hearing there's a shortage of FCS bonzer sides and there is a 2-3 month wait if you cant source immediately. I was going to get plugs for travel so I opted for glassed in sides instead. Just a heads up for those thinking about FCS.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:24 am

Hopefully Malcolms dates get confirmed soon.... Really wanna try out a BB!
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

regular

Post by 8 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Davros wrote:One other thing I'm hearing there's a shortage of FCS bonzer sides and there is a 2-3 month wait if you cant source immediately. I was going to get plugs for travel so I opted for glassed in sides instead. Just a heads up for those thinking about FCS.
http://www.trueames.com/products/bonzer ... compatible

In stock and only a few days away

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:45 pm

..doesnt that say SOLD OUT in the link ma8? Not that I'm hoping that but I'm pretty sure it says SOLD OUT.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Davros wrote:Btw, haven't seen Batoes, Matticus, Jet or Cpt Caveman and a few others around for a while. Other fans of so called alternative craft, you must have a few new boards to feature!!

I've been bonzering back and forth - MLV still my fav bonzer. My BB got pinged on the belly by some douche out the farm who decided to roll off his board rather than duck dive...i'm still tinkering with the fin in that one.

I'm selling a few bonzer fins on fleabay. A 7 inch DRD4 fin and a hunky chunky bamboo fin made by Tiki. My board funds are pretty lean so i doubt i'll be getting anything new if Malcolm does actually get here. That said, i'm selling my v.bowls soon, so that'll make me some cash...

Cool looking fin Davros - keen to hear your thoughts with how the rake works. I used a 7 inch greenough 4a in my bonzers - no love at all.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Will do Batoes, yeh i was suprised he recommended it, I have a 7 inch Albacore in 6 foot single that works kinda, much more upright than a greenough I think, so interested if anything with Alkali. Theres a review of the Nomad Bonzer on Compare surfboards if your (or anyone else) interested, not sure if the guy reviewing rides the boards for long (he hadnt ridden a bonzer and is a self confessed average surfer) but he gives a good general outline of the board etc...he has reviewed a Quartet as well...

Highly annoying re: the twit who dinged your board. How much you selling the Bamboo fin for?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Davros wrote:Will do Batoes, yeh i was suprised he recommended it, I have a 7 inch Albacore in 6 foot single that works kinda, much more upright than a greenough I think, so interested if anything with Alkali. Theres a review of the Nomad Bonzer on Compare surfboards if your (or anyone else) interested, not sure if the guy reviewing rides the boards for long (he hadnt ridden a bonzer and is a self confessed average surfer) but he gives a good general outline of the board etc...he has reviewed a Quartet as well...

Highly annoying re: the twit who dinged your board. How much you selling the Bamboo fin for?

The Farm is so awesome and so bad at the same time because people with no etiquette paddle out and do crap like that all the time....
the bamboo is listed for thirty bucks - 7.5 inch and 6 inch base - it's too big for anything i've got and has a chunky foil too. Roy's spitfire fin gave some added performance to my MLV, but it lacked drive. I love fin experimentation. Bonzers don't come to life until you've found the right fin - true of any design really.

Been surfing my 2+1 quite a bit - that's a fine board.

I've been using an alkali 9 inch flex fin in a 6'6 hull - works a treat.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

regular

Post by 8 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Davros wrote:..doesnt that say SOLD OUT in the link ma8? Not that I'm hoping that but I'm pretty sure it says SOLD OUT.
Yeah true.........I swear I checked it before I hit copy and paste........... they are usually sold out for a week or so then come back available again.

Here are a few others in stock, not as purdy though;

https://www.surfshopsaustralia.com.au/b ... zer-setup/

http://www.surfsailaustralia.com.au/sho ... ad+Fin+Set

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Well that's good then, I guess I was told the wrong thing by the guy who orders them weekly. Bum. What Bonzer do you ride 8, have you ordered some, I was told September as its a lot easier to rout plugs, he called especially to tell me he couldn't get, thinking about it probably directly from
FCS in hind sight. Thanks for your officious approach to clarify. False alarm guys apologies you can shop around.

regular

Post by 8 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Russ Short bonzer 3 with 6oz glass all over, pulled in diamond tail.

Thing is a goddamn machine with some juice behind it.