bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by tootr » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Paint some resin on the base. Lightly Sand with 120 grit/block to suit.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Ok , will try that Tootr... Its the actual width of the box or nsrrowness of the fin which is the problem. Your suggestion should work if I paint some resin on the side of the fin base.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:51 pm

yep - the sides of the base is what was inferred

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Do you know what foil you got in the Roy fin Batoes? Saturday was real nice, the bump and warble disappeared but those lines of swell kept a coming. The wind went wrong Sunday for where I am but swell still seemed to have some heft this morning. Other than size I don't think tomorrow holds much promise for me.

I think it's wonderful that this thread started life as Fongs ideal board for little girls and has now been commandeered by middle aged and medically challenged men.
yep - it's the the all round one. Works really well so far. I'll throw it in the octa to see if it livens it up. Keen to get a bigger one with the thicker foil to see how big they can go.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 am

Drailed wrote:Ok , will try that Tootr... Its the actual width of the box or nsrrowness of the fin which is the problem. Your suggestion should work if I paint some resin on the side of the fin base.

Use masking tape, do a few layers and try it. Keep going til it fits snug.

If you do the resin it can get messy, and it's not as accurate. The masking tape can be squished if you out a little too much on. Then the fin will fit in other boxes. I've done both before and when I did the resin trick fkkuk me I ended up doing a lot of sanding. Masking tape takes 10 mins and you can always take it off.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 am

Yeah I like the look of this method Beanie

http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... t.html?m=1

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Well that was a great session on the bonzer. Very nice...

Only dissapointment was getting out and noticing one of the side find come/knocked loose

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Drailed wrote:Well that was a great session on the bonzer. Very nice...

Only dissapointment was getting out and noticing one of the side find come/knocked loose
what happened? Hit the rocks? I rode the russ short this morning - big - but fickle. Got one decent ride though.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Nah... no rocks... weird.... I cant think of one impact which would have done it?? There is no stress around the base of the fin... its just like the glass has come away from the side of the fin.

Was solid though and pulled into a couple of closeout barrells so that could have done it??

Amping on this board. Really nice feeling, have yet to get it onto some decent open waves and get some turns going but the confidence I have paddling into some juicier ones on this thing is amazing

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm

batoes wrote:
Davros wrote:Bonzers always get people pumped up. It's a good sign. 3-)
agree - i'm really enjoying the bonzer experience. Been putting this one through it's paces lately. 5'6 bumblebee.

Has a good range - works from waist high to overhead. I find there is quite a difference between the light vehicle bottom (3 fin) vs the five. The mlv I have feels more like a single, with longer drawn out turns. This BB can really snap in the pocket, but still finds the high line.

i've got a near new octafish for sale here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221731270385 ... 1555.l2649

If anyone wants to get on the bonzer trip without the price tag give me a yell :-D-:
Am thinking one of these for 2-4 ft Sydney beachies..... whaddya think Batoes...

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:05 pm

This is what he thinks, DeLoof
batoes wrote:My little green BB is a quiver killer - it managed some really juicy leftover south swell on Saturday and then took the waist high stuff on Sunday with ease. Very reactive and the wide tail works a treat. It's pretty chunky for me at 2 5/8 - but works really well.
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:37 pm

swvic wrote:This is what he thinks, DeLoof
batoes wrote:My little green BB is a quiver killer - it managed some really juicy leftover south swell on Saturday and then took the waist high stuff on Sunday with ease. Very reactive and the wide tail works a treat. It's pretty chunky for me at 2 5/8 - but works really well.

Yep, i think excellent choice. You can ride them small and chunky and the wide tail is the key - it seems to plane and engage the larger fin - which i think creates the fifth gear feeling. That was the issue with my octafish; i can't seem to get the fifth gear feeling. So my BB is 5'6, 20 3/4, 2 5/8. This is chunky for me, but i don't notice it too much tbh. If i went custom, i'd probably go 5'4, 20, 2 1/2 or something.

It took about four or so sessions to dial it in.

My russ is big (for me) 6'3 and i use it for exactly what you said - confidence and speed. Because i don't get to ride it too often, i haven't really dialled the fin in yet. I've pulled some nice turns and then other sessions have kooked out majorly. Take yours over to Rhino and get it repaired by Juan and talk BB - think Malcolm is out shaping in May?

What size BB you thinking? And 3-or 5 fin?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks Batoes,great feedback. Yeah emailed Juan today about a repair and he said to bring it over.

I am thinking 5 fin and around the 6'3 mark for the BB... am 6'2 about 90kgs (dont like going much shorter tbh, maybe 6'2) but will see what Juan says about it. If Malcolm out in May then that's ideal.

Do you ride a 6.5 inch bonzer fin in the back of your BB, thats what I got in my Russ. My russ is 6'7.
Last edited by Drailed on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:52 pm

You guys have got some of us non bonzer owning folk drooling

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Drailed wrote:Thanks Batoes,great feedback. Yeah emailed Juan today about a repair and he said to bring it over.

I am thinking 5 fin and around the 6'3 mark for the BB... am 6'2 about 90kgs (dont like going much shorter tbh, maybe 6'2) but will see what Juan says about it. If Malcolm out in May then that's ideal.

Do you ride a 6.5 inch bonzer fin in the back of your BB, thats what I got in my Russ. My russ is 6'7.

Nup - 7inch in the BB at 5 3/4 - magic! And i'm 5'6 and 70kg. With a huge tail width don't even bother going anything under 7. If you're the impatient type and want to feel one up the shop next door at manly have one: http://theshopnextdoor.com.au/collectio ... ee-red-510

Beery - if you want to have a burl on one when your knee is better - let me know. They are good boards for mystics!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:39 am

Much appreciated mate. Be a good 18 months or so I think before I can get back to sub 6'ers though :(, but I'll take you up when the time comes.

For now I'll live through the these threads haha

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 am

my russ is 6'3, 19 3/4, 2 1/2 - plenty thick too! Let me know.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:48 am

Absolutely mate. Had surgery last thurs so itll be a few months before I even get to my rehab board I think. I'm hoping this time around without a knee full of wire I'll come back quicker.

Those dims sound great.